Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "That Annoying Tone on Audio Channels" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2003, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Does anyone know why on most 76's Channel 9 has a constant whine that inhibits listening unless you wish to court hearing damage. Sometimes it even bleeds into other channels as on my DEN-IAD flight yesterday. As a channel 9 addict, I find this most annoying.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:02 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
The whine you hear is most likely leakage from the aircraft's AC electrical system. Unlike our homes which use 120V 60 hz AC, most aircraft use 110-120V 400hz AC current. The whine you refer to is likely that 400hz frequency, which is the same as the hum you get on poorly grounded speakers or radios in the home.

It's common, and unfortunately not a priority to repair unless it interferes with ATC communications.

------------------
IT'S THE FARES, STUPID!!

Regards,

Art at ISP
Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Art234:
The whine you hear is most likely leakage from the aircraft's AC electrical system. Unlike our homes which use 120V 60 hz AC, most aircraft use 110-120V 400hz AC current. The whine you refer to is likely that 400hz frequency, which is the same as the hum you get on poorly grounded speakers or radios in the home.

It's common, and unfortunately not a priority to repair unless it interferes with ATC communications.

</font>
Very logical explanation!

I've always found Channel 9 to be somewhat difficult to hear...I've never noticed one aircraft was more difficult than another. I will pay attention now!

Difficult hearing aside, Channel 9 is still awesome!

Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Art234:
... most aircraft use 110-120V 400hz AC current.</font>
[OT] Interesting! Why do most aircraft use 400Hz? For that matter, why do they use AC at all, since just about everything (in the end) runs on DC?

Sorry, end of off-topic... [/OT]

fiat_owner
Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:47 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I've noticed this twice in the last month SEA-ORD on the three class 763. At first I thought it was just my seat. But twice in a row is suspicious. Very annoying indeed.
But, it was worth toughing it out to listen in on the chaos at ORD on Sunday (July 6th)!

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old Jul 8, 2003, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
The whine is much higher than 400 Hz, however, I would guesstimate about 1200 or so. Sometimes it warbles up and down with a small range. It seems confined to the 767 range.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 4:15 pm

Channel 9 is great on any other aircraft. Combined with noise cancelling headphones, it's perfect. It always seems the best on the Airbus, of course.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Come to think of it, it was bad last couple of times on IAD-LHR on a 763 whereas it's always fine on the 777.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I was going to post almost the exact same question last month. I had 6 767 flights in a month and they all had this annoying whine. It's just not present on the other channels in any manner equal to that on Ch 9.

I finally trained myself to ignore (block) it and still hear the crew.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 5:09 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
I think you'd be surprised that it was actually 400 hz you were hearing. Otherwise it could be a harmonic of 400, which if as you say would be 1200, makes sense. In either case it is related to the electrical system of the airplane unfortunately.

------------------
IT'S THE FARES, STUPID!!

Regards,

Art at ISP
Old Jul 8, 2003, 5:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fiat_owner:
Why do most aircraft use 400Hz? </font>
400 Hz is used in lots of military and aviation applications as it can be used with much lighter weight transformers.

Old Jul 8, 2003, 5:59 pm

&gt;&gt; Why do most aircraft use 400Hz? &lt;&lt;

400 Hz power is easier to convert to DC than 60 Hz power, and the equipment is smaller and lighter. It's been that way with aircraft for over 50 years.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 2P, B6
The whine doesn't bother me. Listening to channel 9 is always a treat no matter the aircraft.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE

I remember the whine! But I never noticed that it was on 767s primarily. I shall certainly pay attention on that front. If indeed it is the 767, I shall avoid them.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:46 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
This really is a fascinating thread - to me anyways!
Is there anything FTers don't notice?
Is there any question FTers don't know the answer to?

Thanks for the electrical lesson!

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.