Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Palmdale Airport: Is it going to be a success?

Palmdale Airport: Is it going to be a success?

Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
CIC, however, is sometimes cheaper than PDX-SMF and ALWAYS cheaper than PDX-MOD (MOD being roughly the same distance from SMF as CIC so why doesn't the SMF fare match rule apply to MOD?)...Odd...Also, CIC, unlike SMF, seems more immune to the typical fare hike around the holidays...
Taxi driver in Chico mentioned the airport still offers free parking too.
So a fare of $50 bucks more from CIC versus SMF/MOD/RDD/SFO etc probably worth utilizing CIC, based on parking savings alone.

FWIW, a recent CIC to SFO flight was 90% capacity, last flight out on a Sunday. Several familiar faces as TSA and flight attendents seemed to know folks by name. I felt like such a loner.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:16 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Aren't some of the LAX-XXX prices due to the fact that VX submitted some ridiculously bids this year?
But the only LAX-XXX related to PMD and VX is SFO, which wouldn't have been more than $100 anyway, with or without VX or WN in the market. Still doesn't explain the $439 PMD "bid". Someone at UA forgot that PMD service is not (yet) market capitalism at work and the "bid" should've been more "reasonable".
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I did a day trip PMD-SFO a couple months ago because I had an e-cert that required certain fare codes and PMD-SFO was the only reasonably priced fare out of SoCal to SFO. It indeed has free parking right across from the terminal, which probably offset the cost of fuel driving from SNA to PMD.

The whole atmosphere reminded me of the pre-JetBlue days at LGB. It was very empty and very relaxed. My flight was nearly full, but even that didn't overwhelm the single agent at UX that handled check-in and boarding, nor the couple of TSA agents at security. There were a couple more agents that handled ground ops for the aircraft, for a total of maybe 10 people that work at the airport altogether. The CRJ had a real quick turn - arrived, deplaned, loaded baggage, boarded and off we go. Since PMD has USAF operations, the runway is some 12,000+ feet long. We took less than half the runway to become airborne.

My return was the last flight of the night, which arrived after 10pm. The Flyer bus was already there waiting, but I didn't take advantage of it because I didn't find out about it beforehand. The whole experience was very pleasant and relaxed, a complete change from all the hassle at LAX, and even SNA to some extent. I just with I had some more time to look at the aircraft museum and their outdoor display near the entrance to the terminal.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
It's gone again

UA will kill PMD service again on Dec 7th.... So much for PMD and return of service.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-m...,5587770.story
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:19 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
UA will kill PMD service again on Dec 7th.... So much for PMD and return of service.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-m...,5587770.story
Please use the following thread for additional discussion; thanks.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867162

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.