Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA sues Google over use of AA's trademarks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

AA sues Google over use of AA's trademarks

The case was filed yesterday afternoon in the Northern District of Texas. The case would be landmark if AA wins.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...oogle-to-court
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
I don't get it... largest airline in the world, one of the few not to file for bancrupcy protection... do they really need to do this?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by DEVIS
I don't get it... largest airline in the world, one of the few not to file for bancrupcy protection... do they really need to do this?
Yes, they do. If AA does not vigorously protect its trademarks, it makes it more difficult for them (or any company, for that matter) to do so in the future.

Whether they will win the case, however, is a different matter.

Mike
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with nako. Sometimes you gotta sue to protect trademarks.

My favorite part of the complaint is paragraph 58 on page 18-19 of the .pdf:

http://claranet.scu.edu/tempfiles/tm...ecomplaint.pdf

Google has an extensive policy limiting how advertisers can treat Google's marks, but doesn't impose the same limits on anyone else's marks.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DEVIS
How about the reverse? Google is one of the largest and profitable internet companies in the world ... do they really need to steal to make money?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
Well... Google contacted me for a position they had been looking long and hard for then when they heard my salary requirements they backed off Maybe they do need to steal...
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by FWAAA
...Google has an extensive policy limiting how advertisers can treat Google's marks, but doesn't impose the same limits on anyone else's marks.
But how does Google "treat" the AA mark? In response to a search request including the mark, Google puts out related hits. Anyone using Google understands that the hits may or may not have any connection to the mark. It's not like people are using Google because they can't find their way to www.aa.com or www.americanairlines.com.

Google is essentially saying, "in response to your request, here are lots of links you'll find useful." Google is not stating or implying that the links are affiliated with any particular company, and is thus not creating any confusion about the source of anyone's goods or services.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA is going to learn the meaning of a doctrine called "descriptive fair use." The only example given in the complaint was entering the term, "american airlines" as a search. This is not trademark infringement, e.g. I could run an ad that says, "Continental and Northwest are leading American airlines," without infringing any of AA's rights. This should be interesting.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
But how does Google "treat" the AA mark? In response to a search request including the mark, Google puts out related hits. Anyone using Google understands that the hits may or may not have any connection to the mark. It's not like people are using Google because they can't find their way to www.aa.com or www.americanairlines.com.

Google is essentially saying, "in response to your request, here are lots of links you'll find useful." Google is not stating or implying that the links are affiliated with any particular company, and is thus not creating any confusion about the source of anyone's goods or services.
So if my contract with Google provides that searches containing your law firm's name will direct users to my sponsored link you'd be ok with that?

Google should be allowed to profit (by way of my payments to Google) and I should be allowed to profit by directing potential clients away from your website? Sounds like the two of us are using your marks for our profit to your potential detriment. Just like AA's allegations.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by nako
Yes, they do. If AA does not vigorously protect its trademarks, it makes it more difficult for them (or any company, for that matter) to do so in the future.

Whether they will win the case, however, is a different matter.

Mike
Yep, but this claim seems quite broad and goes to the heart of Google's business model. If Google disagrees with AA's position, GOOG has the cash to make this an expensive proposition for AMR.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by PTravel
AA is going to learn the meaning of a doctrine called "descriptive fair use." The only example given in the complaint was entering the term, "american airlines" as a search. This is not trademark infringement, e.g. I could run an ad that says, "Continental and Northwest are leading American airlines," without infringing any of AA's rights. This should be interesting.
I agree. I think that AMR could be setting itself up for a very expensive lesson here!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel
AA is going to learn the meaning of a doctrine called "descriptive fair use."
They do know the meaning of that term. They just don't believe that it applies to this situation.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 6:30 pm

When I type American Airlines into Google search.....the colored bar across the top shows www.aa.com. This bar is a paid search area. Isn't this de facto acceptance of the process by American. They are suing Google for something that they have are already paying for.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott, AA EXP, United, Alaska, AirTran
Similar Lawsuits - American Blind and Wallpaper

How is the lawsuit different from the American Blind and Wallpaper suit? Quite a bit had been written on that suit. If memory serves me correctly, Google and American Blind and Wallpaper settled out of court.

Last edited by runarut; Aug 17, 2007 at 6:56 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Some friends of mine (I'm an attorney) did win a suit a while back here in the Southern District of New York against several firms that were paying search engine companies for preferred placement ahead of their client, a well-known clothing company with a registered trademark.

I expect Google to get a royal ...-kicking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.