Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

So here's a question you probably dont see too often!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

All,

I would be appreciative if you could give me any knowledge on a situation I am experiencing.

Background:
As some of you know from the 'Lost Bags' thread, BA lost my bag for a week last month when I was flying AMS-> LHR -> DEN, and after a week I got my bag back, but unfortunately all of my clothes were moldy/wet/ruined and even after dry cleaning still needed to be tossed out. My total loss for this (replacement cost) is more than the J ticket price that I paid for the flight.

Now here is the rub. I just got my AMEX bill and they want payment (those crazies!), and since I have not heard word one from BA on compensation I don't feel even remotely like paying them for the ticket. I'm not the type of person to skip on a bill, but paying for them to ruin my property just angers me. Anyway, if they compensate me, I have no problem in paying - I just haven't heard anything from them (I miss real Customer Service!)

Anyway, I called AMEX and they said they would start the process of speaking to BA as I am a 'unsatisfied customer' and not to pay until I hear back from AMEX. Fair Enough.

Finally my question to you good people.
Since I have disputed this charge due to their negligence with my property, do you think BA might cancel or deny me boarding on 2 already booked (and paid) J flights that are upcoming?

Would they do that?

Thanks,

Bronco.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Unless you have been verbally abusive when speaking a BA employee, I think this sort of incident is so routine that a business the size of British Airways will not even notice.

If you are a US citizen and paid with a USA issued American Express card I am surprised they would even accept a dispute on this basis because the remedy is stipulated by International Convention. I imagine you have already read Section 15 of the BA General Conditions of Carriage...

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ublic/en_us#15
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Surely you should just claim the cost of the damage on your travel insurance?
You do have travel insurance, don't you?

The liability for BA here is pretty clear from the T&C. In my experience you will find it very hard to get any more than this from them.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I cannot see that a disputed charge will have any effect on future bookings, however I also cannot see that your dispute will do anything for you. You agreed to purchase a ticket at price X and you then flew on the trip. The issue of luggage damage is unrelated to this. I would expect to be seeing that charge reappear on your card shortly

Dave
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I agree with the above posts - the ticket was for carriage which you were provided. If you have travel insurance, claim the value on that.

Cheers
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:40 pm

I doubt that you have good legal standing to dispute the price of the ticket.

Why not decide to avoid flying BA for the next 10 years and try to get 10 of your friends to do the same? That would hurt BA more. In light of BA's recent problems, your "travel life" would improve anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I cannot see that a disputed charge will have any effect on future bookings, however I also cannot see that your dispute will do anything for you. You agreed to purchase a ticket at price X and you then flew on the trip. The issue of luggage damage is unrelated to this. I would expect to be seeing that charge reappear on your card shortly

Dave
Fair enough and I do think you are right. It just angers me that a company that I have spent about 100K GBP in the last 2 years treats my property in this way.

I'm sure that I will pay the ticket (I'm not one to skip on a bill) it just angers me to be treated in such a way.

Anyway, I do appreciate the advice.

Oh, and no, I dont have any travel insurance....whoops. I always thought it was a scam as before this, have never had any trouble.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by bronco122

Oh, and no, I dont have any travel insurance....whoops. I always thought it was a scam as before this, have never had any trouble.
That is a risk you elected to take by not having insurance. BA has a limited amount of liability on damaged/lost luggage and there is no reason to expect them to pay out any more than they are liable for

I find travel insurance definately worth having ; in the last year I have had claims for costs incurred due to delayed luggage ( and would have covered damaged luggage ) and also for a laptop getting damaged during a flight

Dave
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:44 am

Programs: Lufthansa, Aegean, BMI, Hilton, Leaders Club, SPG
OT: Can someone suggest a good travel insurance policy for delayed/lost luggage, as anything that I have found on the internet only provides a small coverage (in the region of 100-200 GBP)?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by jkoul
OT: Can someone suggest a good travel insurance policy for delayed/lost luggage, as anything that I have found on the internet only provides a small coverage (in the region of 100-200 GBP)?

For UK , Columbus Direct ( www.columbusdirect.com ) offers annual worldwide coverage for GBP65 and covers lost/damaged baggage to GBP2500

Dave
Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:06 am

Programs: Lufthansa, Aegean, BMI, Hilton, Leaders Club, SPG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For UK , Columbus Direct ( www.columbusdirect.com ) offers annual worldwide coverage for GBP65 and covers lost/damaged baggage to GBP2500

Dave
Thanks! That's the insurance policy I actually currently have (well the Greek one-since I live in Greece), but even though the compensation for lost/damaged baggage is very good, the compensation for delayed baggage is almost non-existent!
Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by jkoul
Thanks! That's the insurance policy I actually currently have (well the Greek one-since I live in Greece), but even though the compensation for lost/damaged baggage is very good, the compensation for delayed baggage is almost non-existent!
I find the Australian edition's $500 for delayed luggage ( $125 at 6hrs , $250 at 12 hours, $375 at 18 hours, max $500 at 24 hours) was quite reasonable

Dave
Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Some insurance policies like electronics warranties are a rip off but I couldn't imagine travelling with no travel insurance!!

What would happen if you suffered a medical emergency and had to be repatriated back home!?

I have used my insurance to cover alternative travel home when my flight was cancelled with no alternative transport arranged within 4hrs, made a substantial medical claim when my Mother took ill while travelling with me and claimed on a stolen Digital Camera.

These policies were all around the £50 mark so more than worth having. Remember the Amex Platinum Chargecard provides travel insurance for you and up to 6 additional card holders as well as many other benefits that make it worth the £300/yr fee.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Was this a business trip by chance? Maybe your company has a policy.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:11 am

Fair enough and I do think you are right. It just angers me that a company that I have spent about 100K GBP in the last 2 years treats my property in this way.
£50k a year with BA and only Silver! You need to spend more time on this board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.