Wiki Posts
Search

Lux hotel within 3hrs of Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Lux hotel within 3hrs of Paris

I am looking for an easy 2nt trip outside of Paris for early Nov. with a stay in a lux property, preferably with a good restaurant, and no need of a car. This would be for an anniversary celebration for Mr. Jac747 and myself and I am especially interested in Bordeaux or the Champagne region. We would just take the train then catch a cab to the hotel and would like to be able to walk around town during our one day there and possibly have a spa treatment. From the research I've done so far and looking mostly at Relais et Chateaux properties, we would need a car. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so not a Chateau? (like Crayeres, Bagnols)

and when you say "good" restaurant, are you specifically interested in X michelin stars?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
La Maison Bordeaux
113, rue du Docteur Albert Barraud
Bordeaux, France

It's north of downtown. No car, good restaurants. Accessible by train. They'll provide private city tours, and are very small (6 rooms) so it's very intimate with the owners.

Les Sources de Caudalie
Chemin de Smith Haut-Lafitte
Bordeaux, France

A little tougher to get to though. Any Chateau

Not sure if they're still open in November or not.
Both very nice, but kinda small.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

I would love to stay at one of the chateaus but it seems a car would be needed for most of them. The hotel I'm considering is in St Emilion and is a R & C property and has a restaurant with one Michelin star-Hostellerie Plaisance. It may be quite a distance from the train station(half hour?) also so we may just have to rent a car. If we're going to rent a car, I think I may consider a destination with a shorter train ride.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if its a hotel in town, then couldnt you walk around town, regardless of the distance to the train station? (take hotel car or taxi)

if youre happy with walking the grounds of a chateau / onsite activities, i think many here would recommend a very luxurious one such as Crayeres or Bagnols - they both came up in the "best room" thread, and IIRC the "favorite hotel" thread as well.

although im not sure about spa offerings.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 20, 2007 at 1:35 pm
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Les Crayeres looks very good since it's only a 10min ride from the train staion and has some nice packages that include meals, room, champagne tasting-doesn't sound like we'd be bored.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....3&postcount=20
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....9&postcount=28
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=126
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:10 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Lyon is 2 hours away by train and full of 1 and 2 star restos.... decent hotels too, but nothing too over the top.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:46 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by Jac747
I would love to stay at one of the chateaus but it seems a car would be needed for most of them. The hotel I'm considering is in St Emilion and is a R & C property and has a restaurant with one Michelin star-Hostellerie Plaisance. It may be quite a distance from the train station(half hour?) also so we may just have to rent a car. If we're going to rent a car, I think I may consider a destination with a shorter train ride.
Jac747, I stayed at the Hostellerie Plaisance many years ago. I had taken the TVG from Paris and rented a car. It was lovely with a beautiful, large room restauarnt (the Awannee dining room comes to mind, but I think my imagination is probably making it larger than it was). It was enough years ago to be a little uncertain, but my recollection is that it was far from a cab ride distance and more like a managable car ride from Bordeaux one one's way towards to the Dordogne. Happy to be reminded of this lovely place!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The Four Seasons in Provence would pick you up by car from Nice Airport or the railway station (TGV from Paris) - its about a 45 minute drive. This is an exceptional resort, and since I was there they have opened a huge spa complex as well which would go down well with your other half.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:29 am

I don't think you can go wrong with Chteau Les Crayres. When I was there, foie gras terrine is only served in the afternoon as a snack and it is a must try!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:35 am
Original Poster

The choices are so great in France that it's hard to decide but I think I will just consider renting a car for more options. Would love to go back to the south of France but Nice is too far for, basically, one day. Since we haven't been to the Bordeaux or Champagne area, that is where I will concentrate on but still think we may want a country type hotel/chateaux with a spa and great restaurant since it will be a nice change from Paris. Thanks for all the rec!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:16 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Chateau de Mirambeau in Bordeaux
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

That is one hotel I've been considering ABG-have you stayed there?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting timing of this article >

http://www.departures.com/articles/t...atetic-gourmet

login using - John Smith / 371909

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.