Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Frequent Flyer Programs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Advice on Frequent Flyer Programs

(I hope this is the right forum for this, I'm a bit new, though I've lurked a bit.)

I'm kind of "starting out", and while I'm reasonably well traveled (though probably not by FT standards), I wanted to know if there was some advice about frequent flyer programs. In particular, I wanted to know if some programs had policies that were better than others. And somewhat related to that, are there any lifetime programs that are worth pursuing (my understanding is that AA has one at 1M miles, but that sounds rather daunting to me...).

Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Welcome to FT!

What you should first do is read through the stickies that are at the top of this and other message boards. Most of them will guide you to either informational FT threads, or directly to resource pages set up by specific airlines.

Additionally, if you're looking for advice from the FT membership, you should let all of us know where you'll be traveling from most often and where you typically go (this helps everyone get a sense for which airline would provide you the best service option).

So, do some reading, and if your questions still persist come back to either this forum or the TravelBuzz forum.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:20 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
I would start by looking at your home base location and then where you travel to.

If you live at a hub of a major airline (ORD for example) you will have to make some choices.

If you live in a small city serviced by commutter service that feeds you to one of several hub location, your choices are more narrow.

Then it comes down to where you will be traveling. If the main airline from your city does not fly to the main locations you travel to (or requires many stops) I would look for another airline.

For example with ORD, UA and AA are the 'big' carriers there. If you fly a lot to Asia, then UA would be a better choice with more nonstops than AA who only flies to NRT.

On the other hand if you live in IND, you will have to travel to a larger airport to make a connection. I do not know that airport so cannot offer advice.

I started flying heavily when I lived in ORD. I chose AA (over UA). I have since moved to the MSP area where NW is the prime carrier but owing to their general lack of customer service, I refuse to fly them. My choices are UA (to several cities like ORD or DEN) or AA (to ORD, DFW, LGA or MIA) nonstop. I know I have to connect at that point.

Since I have chosen AA, I stuck with them.

Yes I fly enough to retain top tier on them so get the 'perks'. I have also gotten to know the staff at MSP (its not a huge station) and they watch out for any problems and are always there to help me out.

I also belong to their Admiral's Club to get the benefits of a place to go when I have to connect.

Once you choose, jump in with both feet. Fly. Experience. Get a tier.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
I agree with JGR01's post on most accounts, but I'd caution you about taking the comment about NW's "general lack of customer service" too seriously (if NW is one of your possible options). It's possible (JGR01 can correct me if I'm wrong) that the comment is from someone who is used to the elite services on AA, and then flew NW as a non-elite customer.

I can't comment on NW's service if you aren't elite, but if you fly enough to achieve Gold or Platinum status, I can tell you that their customer service is outstanding. There is a dedicated reservations/customer service line just for Gold and Platinum members, and I have had a great outcome every time I have called. Further, they have great electronic (phone, email) notification systems that you can sign up for, so you receive proactive notice of service issues, like delays or cancellations. No, they aren't perfect and I wish the delay notices came out earlier, but it's still far better than what I have experienced on other domestic airlines (admittedly as a non-elite).

If much of your flying is domestic, the other thing about being elite on NW is that you will probably get more free domestic upgrades than you would if flying on other airlines. Over the past year and a half (mostly as a Gold, just became Platinum), I have been upgraded on about 80% of my domestic flights -- despite the fact that the planes are fuller than ever.

Looks like neither JGR01 nor I can give you a current comparison of AA non-elite vs. NW non-elite. Just wanted to make sure you see the NW elite picture to compare with his description of the AA elite one....

Again, there are lots of factors, but the most important is where you'll be flying and which airlines have the best routes to meet those needs.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sigmazero
And somewhat related to that, are there any lifetime programs that are worth pursuing (my understanding is that AA has one at 1M miles, but that sounds rather daunting to me...).
AA's lifetime program is a lot more user-friendly than UA's lifetime program.

With UA, they count base miles on UA metal, so 1 million miles means 1 million miles on UA flights. If you reach that goalpost, you get Premier Exec for life.

On AA, 1 million miles means 1 million miles from any source (flights, bonus miles, credit card miles, airline promotions), and will get you lifetime Gold status. Accumulate 2 million miles and you'll get lifetime Platinum (equivalent of PE at United).
Old Aug 25, 2007, 3:16 pm
Original Member

You may find the How to Begin page of my website below to be useful.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Do all airlines' miles have expirations?

I'm spending a bit over half the year in Boston, and it seems like Logan is a big UA hub; but so far I'm leaning towards AA because it seems easier to get Lifetime Gold (with is one of my eventual goals).
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:18 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591686. Technically, some airline miles don't expire, but your account will expire .

I'm spending a bit over half the year in Boston, and it seems like Logan is a big UA hub
Although UA carries a lot of passengers from BOS, it isn't a hub-- UA only flies to five airports, its hubs at IAD, ORD, SFO, LAX, and DEN. UA's partner, US Airways, is the largest carrier there, and has more nonstops. There are also a lot of flights on AA and American Eagle.

JGR01's advice is sound and pgary's website (www.freefrequentflyermiles.com ) is also a great resource.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
welcome to the addiction!

Well, I find the most important thing about miles are these:

keep records that involve mileage transactions you perform.

For example, should you receive a credit card with a special bonus or promotion given by the airline it's connected to, keep the information about this until you see your miles post. Keep web printouts, emails, info on how long you must wait for these miles to post (some promos say 4-6 weeks, while others actually expect us to wait up to 12+ weeks!)

Should you have a dispute about missing or delayed miles and you contact the airline, I find having this information often helps your case beyond belief. I have had success when I had to write customer service and actually tell them the name, employee ID number, date and time, and context of conversation of all previous persons I had to speak to at customer service if I had called in prior to writing them. Writing detailed letters containing all information will help even if you have to wait. Going back and forth and having them deny you because they think they can is painful.

This stuff applies if you fly on a partner airline. For example, should you fly Northwest but your account is with Continental, you can have all miles post to the Continental account, but you ought to keep all boarding passes, ticket number and itinerary information, copies of everything involving the flight and heck, even the baggage tags they stick to your luggage! Should there be a discrepency about your miles, you could photocopy these things and fax or mail them in usually. Call it what you will, but when physically mailing such items, I have even been known to keep a photocopy of the stamped letter just before it gets dropped in the mail, and in bigger 'cases' I have had to send things certified.

Get to know some of the rules and current idiocy and over zealous style of today's obtuse airline world...

for example, should you chose United for your carrier of mile earning, note that their website does NOT allow you to book a flight on their US Air partner flights. You have to call in for these and that requires a $15 fee even though they give you no choice but to call. AND, should you try to book an award for a friend who does not have the same last name with your United miles but on a US Air partner flight, you would have to visit an airport to get his ticket or have it mailed as a paper ticket to you within 2 weeks.

People can book awards for anyone and as long as you are not bartering or selling the awards, it is perfectly fine. However, the above United scenerio makes it really hard to even do that right! You also have to pay that $15 fee (and parking and tolls at the airport) just to visit the United counter and sign a small blue card that allows them to release the reservation for your friend. It's rather annoying. Again, the reason I bring that particular one up is because each program has its own little policy-ridden (often stupid, non-thought through by management) "stoppers" so it's good to view threads throughout FT to get familiar with things before getting TOO excited.

Do shop online using the airline mileage "Malls" but do be very aware of their rules and note that the airlines promote these things as third parties only. This means no entity wishes to nor has the power to help you even though the airline's mall baited you to buy through it. The downside to using these links is that you get stuck in the middle should there be a problem with your miles gained from any transactions on the mall pages. It is once again important to print EVERYTHING and save it in folders at your home or office in case you need to do battle.

Fine print is more important now that you do mile things.
that's a no-brainer. Read the rules, don't sign up if you think they stink. They often do though so sign up at your own risk and then write in and tell them so.

good luck!
MM

PS: Welcome to Boston and go Red Sox.
Logan airport, although "revamped" in the past couple of years, is one of the worst airports there is out there. My advice is to take many drugs before going and be prepared for everything to happen to you and your flying world.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.

I'm spending a bit over half the year in Boston, and it seems like Logan is a big UA hub; but so far I'm leaning towards AA because it seems easier to get Lifetime Gold (with is one of my eventual goals).
At this point in time..expiration isnt a significant issue..there are ways to keep your miles 'current' other than flying.. and any time that you add to or use miles it resets the counter on the expiration. you can order something from their shopping network, make donation to charity through their website and many more..depending on the airline. there is a lot of material abt this type of thing and comparisons hidden in the material here on flyer talk. pour yourself a glass of wine and start reading.. it will take a while!!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

Logan airport, although "revamped" in the past couple of years, is one of the worst airports there is out there. My advice is to take many drugs before going and be prepared for everything to happen to you and your flying world.

BOSTON is just fine.

You do need to to be just about

comatose to use Newark EWR which is far, far

THE worst of ANY airport in the world !

Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:45 pm

Glad to see MM still has the vitality to pass along important information to those just getting into the GAME.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
yup, and it's cuzza all them drugz I took flying between BOS-EWR
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Krakajax

BOSTON is just fine.

You do need to to be just about

comatose to use Newark EWR which is far, far

THE worst of ANY airport in the world !

Have you experienced Heathrow or Miami International?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 5:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pgary
Have you experienced Heathrow or Miami International?
Or Ninoy Aquino (Manila)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.