Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "$100 UA eCert - Usage and Redemption Discussion" [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "$100 UA eCert - Usage and Redemption Discussion" [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: UA1P, SWA RR, SPG
I see them on E-bay with Buy Me Now for $13 (with multiple available). I never knew how easy this was! I just wish I had realized how easy this was before I made my last two reservations...
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:16 am

I just paid $7.49 for one on E-Bay. The buyer was selling multiple e-certs and had an excellent feedback rating. As soon as I receive the e-cert I will be using in on a trip I was planning to book to LAS. I'll report back with any issues or lack thereof.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by grayland
Back on topic..... Do you all think that the questionable certs are showing up on CC? I had noticed a lot of them a little while back.
I did post a word of waring on CC some time ago. You can get some for inconveniences one have had with United but there was several "traders" that seem to have plentiful access of these.

Probably they bought these for $10 or so each.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travels77
I just paid $7.49 for one on E-Bay. The buyer was selling multiple e-certs and had an excellent feedback rating. As soon as I receive the e-cert I will be using in on a trip I was planning to book to LAS. I'll report back with any issues or lack thereof.
Of course the price should be close to zero because they use computer programs to generate these.

Wonder when UA starts auditing accounts that have used these?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by holtju2
Of course the price should be close to zero because they use computer programs to generate these.

People have asserted this before, but I am not completely convinced. One of my past projects dealt with computer security issues (not related to airlines, though), and, out of curiosity based on this thread, I have searched every avenue that I could think of for UA hacks/cracks. Nada. So, they could indeed be computer-generated, but they are very well-hidden if that is the case.

(Btw, be sure to keep us up-to-date on your CMB perambulations over on that thread, please!)
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:55 am

I just purchased two for $9.50 and one for $8.50 through e-Bay's 'Buy Me Now' option. I have already received an e-mail with the e-cert numbers. I will too report back if I encounter any difficulties, but everything looks okay so far.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mechteach
People have asserted this before, but I am not completely convinced. One of my past projects dealt with computer security issues (not related to airlines, though), and, out of curiosity based on this thread, I have searched every avenue that I could think of for UA hacks/cracks. Nada. So, they could indeed be computer-generated, but they are very well-hidden if that is the case.

(Btw, be sure to keep us up-to-date on your CMB perambulations over on that thread, please!)
This is a rather new development on UA. I did receive few UA $100 ecerts from a person with whom I swapped CR1's on CC.

The numbering formula looked rather simple. Only the last couple of numbers on the ecert were different. It really cannot be that difficult to come up with a "robot" that would generate these.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:13 pm

Follow-up

Originally Posted by travels77
E-cert was received within an hour via email. I have since booked my ticket to LAS using two $100 e-certs (two one way tickets). The total price for my extended weekend in Vegas was $105 which includes what I paid on e-bay. That flight also ensures my status for next year so I am very happy to say the least.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Plat Elite
Originally Posted by holtju2

I agree, and I too wonder what will happen when UA catches on (they probably already have). They are in a pickle of sorts. On one hand they can not cancel the use of all e-certs, that would PO everyone that has legitimately received an e-cert from UA, so they have to accept the "hacked" codes. On the other hand if they keep accepting the codes and there are this many being sold online (maybe in the thousands by now?) that will eat into their profit. So, I'm certain they are or will be formulating an audit procedure.

I've used two already that were given to me, but I am leery about going to eBay and buying any. My two cents.

Bubba
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:39 am

I would think that these would have to be generated by an agent. I cannot imagine that UA has a database of these numbers or some kind of combination that every 3rd number is a $100 cert that someone could hack in to. I think it has to be a rogue employee.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K;
Seems to me that there is a lot of risk here. UA has come down hard (often without any proof) on any type of perceived misuse of MP accounts or certificates. I have to believe that it could be harsh if they ever get around to closing down whatever is happening.

Buying on ebay from unknown persons is probably not a good idea.

I would not use a certificate that I was not pretty sure of the source and how they obtained it.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: Sexy UA 1K
One of the attendees of the MR101 held this past October said: "If you value your MP account at all, don't buy or trade anything on ebay." I personally think this is very well stated. ^

My paranoia wants me to believe that UA has already infiltrated CC, which I do . I am extremely cautious even when I trade in CC.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by United737522
I would think that these would have to be generated by an agent. I cannot imagine that UA has a database of these numbers or some kind of combination that every 3rd number is a $100 cert that someone could hack in to. I think it has to be a rogue employee.

I am not so sure. The cert number is sent as free text in the web address when you click on the search for flights button. If the cert is invalid you get one reponse. A valid cert produces another response.

Cannot be too difficult to write a program to simply cycle through the numbers to come up with some valid codes. After a while, a pattern would emerge and you have an unlimited supply of these.

rich
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Rich has got a good point. And with that many characters, there should be a large number.. but then the question arises, if there are multiple folks doing this, when will we start seeing coinciding numbers. I don't know how UA will handle that. The other question is what they will do from here. Do they only do paper certs from here on out or place ecerts in the account and allow you to access it with login to your MP account only (like the way RR awards are done)
Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
I agree, it will be interesting to see how things will turn out from here.... Especially now that people are starting to confirm the possible hacking/guessing of the numbers. If I had to guess, they will invalidate all old numbers and if they are pulled up, you are requested to contact MP over the phone to use them. Sure it is inconvenient, but for those who have real certs, one phone call to save $100 will still be worth it.

From there they can definitely validate whether the cert is legit and you are the legitimate holder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.