Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton East Hartford - Leaving Starwood 31 MAR 2011 [Master Thread]

Sheraton East Hartford - Leaving Starwood 31 MAR 2011 [Master Thread]

Old May 1, 2002, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton East Hartford - Leaving Starwood 31 MAR 2011 [Master Thread]

At the Sheraton East Hartford.

Writing since my last post regarding Starwood was negative, and I believe that one should praise when it is warranted.

The night supervisor/manager Richard just stopped by my room and asked me how my stay was going. He also had a cart of snacks (pop-tarts, chips, etc) and offered me anything off the cart. Of course, I had just finished dinner

Now, I could've as easily walked four doors down to the lounge and picked up the snacks myself, but this personal touch was really nice. And my dinner was great, too.

I used to stay at the old Sheraton downtown (now a Hilton), but this particular Sheraton is much better and I like the location, too.

WMH
Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Anyone have any recent experience with this hotel? I will probably be in the Hartford area for a few months and need a SPG hotel (preferably) to stay at.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:03 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
It's been a year since I was here, but this is a marginal Sheraton in my opinion. Not horrible, just very Ramada-Inn-ish. In fact, it was a Ramada Inn just before it was reflagged as a Sheraton!

Do a search -- there's lots out there on this one.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Yeah its not bad... The rooms on the 8th floor have nicer bathrooms with marble in them.

I stayed there prob. 200 or so nights in the past 2 years. The last time I was there, they had the new sweet sleeper beds in most of the top floor rooms. That was back in December.

Don't get your hopes up for much of an upgrade, there are only 2 suites in the hotel.. and I never got one with having over 200+ nights. The best you can get is a room on the 8th floor..second best option is a room on the 7th floor.

Hope this helps...
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:13 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
An Interesting Stay at the Sheraton Hartford

I've stayed at this hotel a couple of times before because my grandparents live in nearby Bloomfield, CT. They usually have good weekend rates of $79. The hotel presents itself fairly well, it looks a little worn around the edges, but I've never been *afraid* to stay there -- well, until this latest visit.

Saturday night began with a large flying insect that had apparently been living in the curtains, being disturbed when I tried to open the curtains and let in some light. A call to housekeeping led to a woman coming to the room, taking her shoes off, and with a rolled up newspaper, trying to kill this bug while hopping around on various pieces of furniture within the room.

OK.

Once that was resolved and the bug was disposed of, my wife realized that her plastic case that she kept her contacts in was missing. She had left it on top of one of the desks, so we concluded that housekeeping had probably thrown it away, but we tore up the room looking for it anyway. That led us, unfortunately, to look under the bed. Thrown about under the bed were, and there is no nice way to say it, about 50 packages of condoms and empty condom boxes.

OK.

So I go down to the front desk, it's about 11 p.m. at this point, and I'm like, this is not meeting the Sheraton Service promise. I am not having a good stay. And the first thing this woman says to me, and this is probably the most disturbing part, "Oh no, the condoms weren't used, were they?" Well, I hadn't actually checked, but thanks for putting that in my head.

The hotel did dispatch someone to an all-night pharmacy to get my wife a new contact case and they did give us one night of our two night stay free. My wife slept in her clothes that night and needless to say, we left early in the morning.

I'm not so much quibbling with the compensation offered as offering a caution about staying at the hotel. And if you do, whatever you do, don't look under the bed. Trust me.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:28 pm

Perhaps that was the local welcome amenity?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Sheraton East Hartford- Club Lounge ??

I was just on line making a booking for my third stay at the Sheraton East Hartford, and noticed there were 'Club' Rooms available ??? I didn't know they had a Club Floor here. Any comments on it? In my last 2 stays this month, as a Platinum, I was duly given the 500 points and told sorry, no suites-- but we've upgraded you to a larger room! But no mention of Club Access, Club Floor (I was on the general SPG floors) or if indeed there was a Club. Searching old posts, I do see a mention that this property does have a Club, but has it been closed, or is it one of those deals where an open area is fitted out with a couple of chairs near the elevators-- with no food or beverages??
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mauld
I was just on line making a booking for my third stay at the Sheraton East Hartford, and noticed there were 'Club' Rooms available ??? I didn't know they had a Club Floor here. Any comments on it? In my last 2 stays this month, as a Platinum, I was duly given the 500 points and told sorry, no suites-- but we've upgraded you to a larger room! But no mention of Club Access, Club Floor (I was on the general SPG floors) or if indeed there was a Club. Searching old posts, I do see a mention that this property does have a Club, but has it been closed, or is it one of those deals where an open area is fitted out with a couple of chairs near the elevators-- with no food or beverages??
I was in Hartford last week and stayed on the top floor (8th), it is the club floor. The club lounge is located next to the elevators on that floor, breakfast items & evening snacks are offered. The morning lady there is so kind, the lounge is tired but they are planning a renovation & expansion. There is only a couple of large presidential suites here (maybe only one...), so don't expect anything other than a club room.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Aug 31, 2007 at 6:37 pm
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Avis First
I've been staying in the east hartford sheraton since April (on and off) and the club is nothing special and the place in general is tired. Also try to park close to the entrance as I had my rental car broken into by a meth head looking for loose change. The area is not the best.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by bcorazza
I've been staying in the east hartford sheraton since April (on and off) and the club is nothing special and the place in general is tired. Also try to park close to the entrance as I had my rental car broken into by a meth head looking for loose change. The area is not the best.
Good advice. This place feels a lot more like a Ramada Inn; not a Sheraton. Again, I say shame on Starwood for continuing to allow weaker properties such as this to carry the Sheraton banner. You can bet any amount of money that Marriott would NEVER allow this place to remain under their umbrella.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by bcorazza
I stayed here last week, the location is good to go around & visit Connecticut. But yes, the place is tired, albeit the staff was nice enough, but a revamp could put the hotel to an acceptable level. The parking is very large, but all the cars seemed to be all bunched up & parked together, like people knew the area was uneasy or something, so I parked with all of them too. The Hartford area in general was way nicer than I thought it would be... Maybe it's because we stayed in the good areas, I dont know.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Aug 31, 2007 at 11:06 pm
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Perhaps it's just me (or am I getting a complex???) I checked in around 8pm last night, handed over my Plat card and cc and asked about getting a room on the Club floor. I was told sorry, nothing available on that floor-- your room is on 5 (526). Ok, I think?? that should be a SPG floor in any event .... The desk agent hands me my room card, and I then say (as she doesn't ask), by the way, I will take the points as my amentiy. She looks up startled and says, oh-- you're Plat ??? let me put that in ? DUH! I gave her the card, which she looked like she looked at!! So I go to my room on 5, not the SPG floor-- no free water, nothing! The next am (today), I take the elevator up to 8 and just walk into the Club room. As others have said, nothing special-- but they did have hot eggs, juice, cereal, coffee, rolls etc and while small, it was fine. No one asked for an ID, PLAT card or anything. The door was open to all, although inside there was a sign up sheet asking for your initials and room number.
What seemed strange to me, aside from not getting any Plat recognition on any of my stays, was that the front desk never mentined that I could have use of the Club room on any of my stays. Upon checking out this am, I did mention that I would have liked a SPG room, if the Club floor was unavailable-- and she told me to call her before my next stay if I wanted to have it prebooked on either the Club floor or SPG? My reservations are usually made at least 7 days in advance, so we're not talking one or two days notice. If this was a luxury property, or highly desirable-- I could maybe understand, but we're talking East Hartford here, with lots of other hotels in the area. Unfortunately, I do try to steer my stays to Starwood, so I'll just take my chances with my next stays
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:20 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Why is the East Hartford Sheraton...

...still a Sheraton?

Reading some earlier posts about this property, maybe we didn't have such a bad time after all. The car wasn't broken into, nor did we find several dozen condoms under the bed - not that we looked. But for a Sheraton property, this hotel ranks as low or lower than almost any other at which we've stayed. Reading back a bit, I see similar posts for the past three or four years. Why does Starwood allow this to continue?

When you reserve a room with two double beds, and the desk clerk confirms a room with two double beds, and you hike upstairs with your luggage to find a room way at the end of the corridor expecting a room with two double beds and instead find one with one king bed; well, not a good start. It was a Club Floor room, as was the double double we were switched to, and guess what? It was exactly like any other room in the hotel except that it was on the 8th floor around the corner from the closed Club Lounge. The room contained no bottled water, nor any bathrobes, but like the first room we went to, offered the ultimate in peaceful and quiet luxury: no phone service. Both rooms had two phones; none worked.

Unfortunately, the absence of intrusive phone calls was offset by the ventilator noise coming from the bathroom, noise secondary to an airstream so strong it would open the bathroom door if not secured and which could be partly muffled by placing a facecloth over the intake register. The suction was strong enough to hold it there. "Partly muffled" was an improvement: with the bathroom door closed it sounded like you were trying to sleep next to a bus that was idling as opposed to one running at full speed.

BTW: Both water and working phones were promised around 5 pm but not delivered before checkout the next morning.

As the Club Lounge was closed, the desk clerk grudgingly gave me a coupon for the breakfast buffet, saying she would make an exception as "we don't usually do this." Perhaps she was onto something, as - at 8 the next morning, with only one other table in the dining room occupied - we found no breakfast buffet. We were offered an "American" breakfast instead. "Little America" maybe, as each and every item was stone cold: eggs, bacon, tater tots, and toast.

Things got better later that morning when I took the third right from the parking lot and got onto I-84 but at the hotel, from start to finish, ours was one perfectly awful stay.

If this hotel was branded as a Four Points, I'd still be disappointed, as the experience is on a par with a Motel 6.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Sounds like a dreadful stay. While it is a hike, the 4 Points Meriden is fairly nice - esp for a 4P.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
New England Sheratons, to paint with not too wide of a brush, are generally trash. Many of them were introduced from "Tara" properties back in the early 90s and are the worst. A subset used to be "Sheraton Inn" properties that should have become 4P but did not for whatever reason. Providence Airport comes to mind here.

Regardless of their heritage, the Sheraton name in New England generally implies potentially serious faults, except for the Sheraton in the Prudential Center in Boston.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.