Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Charged For a Platinum Upgrade at US Grant Hotel San Diego

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier

I checked into the US Grant Hotel in San Diego yesterday and during the checkin procedures everything seemed fine and everyone had so far been very courteous, from the valet to the bellman. While assigning the room however, the check in agent, noticing that I had reserved 2 beds in the room, stated that he wasn't sure what was available as far as an upgrade with 2 beds in the room. I indicated that a King bed room would be acceptable along with a roll away bed. He then stated that they didn't have roll away beds at the hotel so that would be a problem.

At this point, he stated that he had found a room, that it was a 'Signature Suite' and that it would require an additional fee of $200 per night.

I was flabbergasted and informed him that not once in five years had I ever been charged for a platinum upgrade. He stated that this suite was 770 sq. feet and a significant upgrade beyond a normal room and brought out a floorplan book as part of his 'sales pitch'. I believe that I was then slow to respond because I couldn't believe what was happening. I quietly told him that I had been given Presidential suites in the past, the Madison Suite at The St. Regis New York, a two story suite in Venice on an award stay and that my normal upgrade at The St Regis San Francisco was normally 700 + sq. feet (last 4 stays), several suites around 2,000 sq. feet and not once had I ever been asked to pay an additional upgrade fee.

He responded by saying that he would have to bring over his manager for approval because he didn't have the authority. His manager came over while he explained the situation, the manager punched a few keys on the computer, pointed to the screen and I assumed that it had been overridden. Here is where it got weird. The agent stated that they were able to put me in the room and I then thanked him for going to bat for me. The agent nodded his head and said that yes they would put me in the room but now the price was an additional $300 per night!

I asked to see the manager because I not only could I not believe that I was being charged a platinum upgrade fee, but now the fee had risen by $100 a night. When the manager came over, I politely stated that I had never been charged for an upgrade and I thought that it was ridiculous that i was being charged and that the fee was going up. The manager stated that different hotel were allowed to charge fees accordingly and that this was now part of their new 'upsell program' and that the fee would be $300 additional per evening. Now I was getting upset and I asked why now it was $300 when I was quoted $200 five minutes beforehand. The manager shot a look to the check in agent and asked if he had already quoted $200 for the upsell. The agent stated that he had. The manager then said that he would honor the originally quoted price of a $200 upsell per night.

I had family with me, everyone was hungry and I didn't want to argue anymore especially since we needed the two beds and it appeared that would be an issue so I said "fine, I'll take it".

So we check into the suite and while opulent and very nicely appointed, was no different from many of the suites that I normally received as an upgrade as a platinum member of Starwood, in fact it was smaller than many of the regular suites that I have received in the past and certainly not worth the upgrade fee compared to what I have been accustomed to in the past since I tend to stay at the higher end of Starwood's portfolio properties. To make matters worse, this morning I log onto FlyerTalk and notice a thread for the US Grant right on the homepage and after reviewing the thread I see how someone else received the exact same room as me as a complementary upgrade! Not only that but other posters have indicated suite upgrades with no mention of being charged for an upgrade in fact many of the posts refer to having been upgraded to suites including for award stays (this is a paid stay for me). There is also apparently a promotion this weekend for a complementary suite upgrade when you use your amex card.

So I'm beside myself and feel as if I've been taken. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:48 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Bad story - I'm William will look into this but as we've all found out, there are good hotels and bad ones when it comes to Platinum recognition.

I'm left wondering what they would have charged you if you had not status at all!
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by EquityMind
I had family with me, everyone was hungry and I didn't want to argue anymore especially since we needed the two beds and it appeared that would be an issue so I said "fine, I'll take it".
Was the regular room you had originally reserved -- with two beds -- still available?

If so, why did you feel compelled to pay for the suite?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
The Problem is that the signature suite is not a standard suite.so they dont have to upgrade you to that room. but i have never had a problem checking in. actually have a reservation coming up next week and have been upgraded already.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by gabo02
... actually have a reservation coming up next week and have been upgraded already.
Yes, but to what have you been upgraded? A Legacy Suite? If so, let's call a spade a spade. A Legacy Suite is certainly nice and well appointed, but it's not what I'm willing to call a suite. It's more like what I'd call a small junior suite.

In fact, that might be pushing it even a little. It's a very nice room with a normal sized bathroom (in fact, if I'm not mistaken, the bathrooms in the Legacy Suites are a tad smaller than standard and have only one sink vs two in many standard rooms here) and a smallish sitting area off the entrance. The sitting area is very comfortable, but also very small with poor lighting. There is no music source nor TV in this sitting area, so it's more of a pass through area.

I'm not being negative, just calling a spade a spade.

I think this is a great hotel with solid management. I think the remodel is stunning and the quality of goods from top to bottom is impressive and exceptionally well done.

I also know that they've had a hard time hitting revenue projections here and the hotel runs on low occupancy of the time. Not sure how they're going to fix that, but it appears that this hotel has opted to try to squeeze more $$$s from its current customer base instead of extending above and beyond treatment to them (the way that the Westin Diplomat, for example, does).

I suppose that they are within the SPG guidelines and expectations from *wood, but the OP is correct in stating that it's disappointing to be offered a room one step up from standard when the hotel is half empty. The other point of view is that the OP (like many of us) has been very fortunate in other properties around the world as a SPG Plat member in getting really special suites and treatment that went well beyond any requirements or expectations.

All that said, I do agree that the USGrant seems to be especially stingy in handing out anything other than minimum upgrade requirements to Plat members. While that may disappoint us, it's probably important to remember that they are operating under the rules.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:50 pm

Landmark Suite i believe it said. Which has a living room with a plasma tv. so it has to tvs. when i called the hotel that was what i was told. can not check my account right now.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blort
Was the regular room you had originally reserved -- with two beds -- still available?

If so, why did you feel compelled to pay for the suite?
You know, now that you mention it, they were not clear on whether they would put me in a room with two beds as I had originally requested, and that appeared to be an issue as the agent searched for a room (the whole process took around 15 - 20 minutes btw). They appeared more interested in upselling me more than anything else and that is what is so upsetting.

The issue at hand however is that this hotel is apparently not consistent with their policies. Nowhere on any thread here have I read about an upsell policy and there are many other posters who have indicated that they have obtained suite upgrades for no additional consideration, including the exact room I was given and on that occasion the poster indicated that he was on an award stay. The feeling I received was that I am being hustled by the hotel and they having the upper hand knowing I need a larger room since there is family with me. I feel foolish for accepting the upsell without having checked this forum first. Perhaps others in the future can use this an an example if they are ever presented with the same scenario.

I am from Orange County so I am here frequently and with the exception of the US Grant Hotel and the new Westin (because they are new to the Starwood program) I have stayed at the other 5 or so San Diego properties at least a half a dozen times each over the years. I also tend to reward loyalty as I do with The St Regis San Francisco and Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas because of the 100% upgrade ratio and the way that I am treated. By looking for a quick upsell opportunity (does anyone know if they receive commissions on upsells?) they will be missing out on a half a dozen stays a year from me in the future, not to mention that I am both a blogger and a travel poster and happen to do search engine marketing for a living.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 4:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Did you call the GM this morning? (NOT the duty manager or the front desk manager, but the General Manager)? Did you call *wood Platinum Concierge? Did you file with Customer Service (located at the top of this forum as a sticky)?

This somehow seems a bit "odd" in many ways but I would file with the appropriate folks to ensure you have something "formal" on file BEFORE leaving the property.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by EquityMind
You know, now that you mention it, they were not clear on whether they would put me in a room with two beds as I had originally requested, and that appeared to be an issue as the agent searched for a room (the whole process took around 15 - 20 minutes btw).
Kind of makes you question if they ever had that room w/ two beds available when you checked in... hmmmm.

Reminds me of a similar situation in Washington, where I reserved a king size bed but when I checked in at 3:30pm they tried to talk me into a "Premium Suite" for $100 more a night w/ Club Access. I reminded the clerk that I was Platinum and had Club access so that was of no extra value. "Oh ya" was his response. Anyhow, I declined. After 10 minutes of typing away and a visit to the back office I was given the "Premium Suite" at no extra charge because my room was "not ready".

I didn't know if I was happy that I got the suite or that I hadn't gotten suckered into paying for it.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ldsant
Did you call the GM this morning? (NOT the duty manager or the front desk manager, but the General Manager)? Did you call *wood Platinum Concierge? Did you file with Customer Service (located at the top of this forum as a sticky)?

This somehow seems a bit "odd" in many ways but I would file with the appropriate folks to ensure you have something "formal" on file BEFORE leaving the property.
I went downstairs this morning and found the original check in agent, I told him that I was upset because of the inconsistencies of their policies and I mentioned that I had gone online and found occurrences of my exact same room being given away as a Platinum upgrade with no mention of the upsell fee. I then asked for the General Manager of the hotel and was told he was not in, so I dropped off my business card and asked him to simply have the GM Google me and the key terms 'Flyertalk Starwood' where he would find this thread at the top and I also mentioned that I was a blogger and search expert and to have the GM contact me.

I just got back to the room 10 hours later and no word from anybody - GM or otherwise, no notes in the room, no voicemails. Nothing.

You're right ldsant, I too find this very 'odd' the more I think about it.

I haven't called the Platinum concierge yet, but I will most likely do that tomorrow before checking out. I know William is out until Tuesday.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:11 am

Once again if a standard suite is available that is what you get. That room is not part of the Platinum upgrade program. I just must of had luck those times i recieved it. even though i have never been charged for un upgrade as a platinum member.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:08 am
ALW

I just got back to the room 10 hours later and no word from anybody - GM or otherwise, no notes in the room, no voicemails. Nothing.
Possibly the GM isn't working on Labour Day weekend? Or isn't working Saturday of Labour Day weekend?

=aw
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by ALW
Possibly the GM isn't working on Labour Day weekend? Or isn't working Saturday of Labour Day weekend?

=aw
or even in the States, LabOr Day weekend

EquityMind - I would strongly urge you to contact Corporate Services via email prior to leaving the property. This enables them to open a file as quickly as possible. They are a GREAT conduit for customers and the hotel.

As it is a holiday and many people are off on their own holiday a response may not be forthcoming right now. Having several avenues at least aware of things helps you in the end. However; as others have stated, as a Platinum your upgrade is to the next best room at the time of check-in. So it is very possible that there wasn't a next best room without an upsell (just looking at possibilities).

Finally, I wouldn't say "I'm a blogger. . ." etc. - sometimes folks who are trying to assist you find this analogous to "do you KNOW who I am?!" Good luck and thanks for keeping up apprised of what's happening.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ldsant
or even in the States, LabOr Day weekend

EquityMind - I would strongly urge you to contact Corporate Services via email prior to leaving the property. This enables them to open a file as quickly as possible. They are a GREAT conduit for customers and the hotel.

As it is a holiday and many people are off on their own holiday a response may not be forthcoming right now. Having several avenues at least aware of things helps you in the end. However; as others have stated, as a Platinum your upgrade is to the next best room at the time of check-in. So it is very possible that there wasn't a next best room without an upsell (just looking at possibilities).

Finally, I wouldn't say "I'm a blogger. . ." etc. - sometimes folks who are trying to assist you find this analogous to "do you KNOW who I am?!" Good luck and thanks for keeping up apprised of what's happening.
Thanks ldsant - took your advice and opened a file with customer service, the customer service agent was surprisingly understanding and agreed that this was out of the norm and also stated that different hotels differed in policy as to their level of Starwood involvement. Apparently the US Grant is not fully involved, hence why no Platinum amenity was offered at check in (but this is common in the higher end properties such as St. Regis). She also indicated that this is something that Starwood is looking to address in the near future. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've never been offered an upsell as a Platinum. The upgrade is whatever it is, and sometimes, it has been above and beyond the call. It sounds like if the desk person has the "upsell manual" ready to go, this hotel has a thing going on that would keep me away, eternally, and it sounds like it comes from way up above. I've never been shown a floorplan of a room, ever. Perhaps the management comes from a fine background of selling used cars. Or perhaps there's one rogue desk clerk who has taken it upon himself to be the Upsell King - but I doubt it. Hotel check-in is generally the last bastion of "confirming the rate", "here's your key and goodies", and no negotiations nor arguments. (Checkout is another story )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.