Search

Weekend Trip to Helsinki

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Weekend Trip to Helsinki

Hi All,

i am planning a weekend trip in the next few weeks (before it gets too cold) to HEL.

Just wondering recommedations to the following:

1) Hotel
2) Restaurants
3) Things to See
4) Things to Buy (I heard the brand Hasten Bedding/mattress is from there?)
5) Things to Do
6) Transport options to airport
7) Things to be aware off (sunday things close etc...)
8) Speciality of HEL and Must do items
9) Specific festival
10) Area to stay in etc..
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
hi rtwdone4,

for your convenience, I move this thread to the Scandinavia Forum

regards

chrissxb
Europe forum
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:55 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best hotel in town is supposed to be the Hotel Camp, I've not stayed there because I've been happy on the executive floor of the Strand Hilton.

There are Finnair busses and city busses to/from the airport. You can also take a shuttle or a taxi.

I've never found lots and lots to do, but there is a small island you can take a ferry to and there are museums. I'll let a local advocate opine on this as well as restaurant selections.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
Hi All,

i am planning a weekend trip in the next few weeks (before it gets too cold) to HEL.

Just wondering recommedations to the following:

1) Hotel
Why not stay at a Scandic, while you still earn Hhonors points... My favorite is the Grand Marina by the harbour and close to the ferry to Suomenlinna island (a must see if the weather is nice). A very central option would be the Scandic Marski
2) Restaurants
See the quite nice thread called the Helsinki Dining Guide in this forum.
3) Things to See
See 1). I think RichardInSF is referring to it as well.
Actually I am quite sure it is a Swedish brand. Anyway, can't help you with the shopping as I never buy anything
5) Things to Do
See 3). The Opera season hasn't started yet. Don't know what your interests are, though.
Taxi / Finnair bus / City bus. All are ok to the city centre. Taxi is about 32 euros, bus 4 to 5 euros.
The big stores as well as most specialty shops are closed Sunday. Smaller stores and souvenir shops probably open til about 6pm.
Haven't found out yet. Hopefully some local guy will help us out.
9) Specific festival
No idea right now, but look up the "Helsinki this Week" leaflet in your hotel room.
10) Area to stay in etc..
See 1)
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
My take

1) Hotel

Klaus K or Glo for boutique, Palace for comfort and views, Kamp for luxury

2) Restaurants

Slussen and Sea Horse for Helsinki style comfort food, Olo and Savoy for modern Scandinavian, Bellevue for Russian, Farouge (Lebanese) and Villa Thai for ethnic. For upscale fast food Morrison's and Grande Grill are good in a central location.

3) Things to See

Thei Islands, farmers markets and market halls (South Harbour and Hakaniemi), Uspensky Cathedral and Temppelinaukio Church, architecture all over the city and surroundings (Tapiola, Hvittrask)

Finnish design, many young designers have their own shops. Food specialities from the markets, Wooden toys for the kids...Books from the large sortiment in the Academic bookstore opposite of Stockmann.

5) Things to Do

Concerts, Opera, there is a national park around 20 kilometers from the city for hiking adventures, take a boat over to Talliinn...Bars and clubs aplenty.

Bus or cab.

Nothing special, I guess. Avoid the railway station area during weekend nights.

Maybe the nearby aviation museum. For last minute shopping and eating the Jumbo shopping mall is around five minutes by car from the terminal. A huge place with a hotel and spa being built right now.

9) Specific festival

Herring market/festival if it's not over already.

10) Area to stay in etc.

The city center is small and compact. The southern tip of Helsinki might be most interesting plus the islands.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 1:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
My take

1) Hotel

Klaus K or Glo for boutique, Palace for comfort and views, Kamp for luxury

2) Restaurants

Slussen and Sea Horse for Helsinki style comfort food, Olo and Savoy for modern Scandinavian, Bellevue for Russian, Farouge (Lebanese) and Villa Thai for ethnic. For upscale fast food Morrison's and Grande Grill are good in a central location.

3) Things to See

Thei Islands, farmers markets and market halls (South Harbour and Hakaniemi), Uspensky Cathedral and Temppelinaukio Church, architecture all over the city and surroundings (Tapiola, Hvittrask)

Finnish design, many young designers have their own shops. Food specialities from the markets, Wooden toys for the kids...Books from the large sortiment in the Academic bookstore opposite of Stockmann.

5) Things to Do

Concerts, Opera, there is a national park around 20 kilometers from the city for hiking adventures, take a boat over to Talliinn...Bars and clubs aplenty.

Bus or cab.

Nothing special, I guess. Avoid the railway station area during weekend nights.

Maybe the nearby aviation museum. For last minute shopping and eating the Jumbo shopping mall is around five minutes by car from the terminal. A huge place with a hotel and spa being built right now.

9) Specific festival

Herring market/festival if it's not over already.

10) Area to stay in etc.

The city center is small and compact. The southern tip of Helsinki might be most interesting plus the islands.
Thanks. The Hotel Glo looks really good. Does the hotel have a direct website? I can't seem to find it. Or else is the Hilton Strand a good option?

I am looking for a shop that sells Mandarina Duck bags. What are the largest Department stores in HEL

As for the Jmbo SHopping mall does it open on Sunday?
Old Sep 3, 2007, 1:57 pm

While I can't be of much help regarding Mandarina Duck bags, Stockmann is the Grand Old Lady of Helsinki department stores. They have an outlet at the Jumbo mall and a smaller shop at HEL as well. The Kamppi Centre and nearby Fredrikinkatu street also have several smart shops.

Btw, even if you are not into militaria, the Mannerheim museum in the embassy quarter of Helsinki is pleasant to visit and offers a glimpse into the life of Finnish national hero number one. Not just a Marshal but also a gentleman well versed in cuisine and arts, an adventurer who rode through China on horseback and dated Polish countesses...

Last edited by mosburger; Sep 3, 2007 at 2:02 pm
Old Sep 3, 2007, 2:45 pm

Thanks. The Hotel Glo looks really good. Does the hotel have a direct website? I can't seem to find it. Or else is the Hilton Strand a good option?
Et voila: http://www.palacekamp.fi/in_english/hotels/hotel_glo/

The Hilton Strand is also a good choice close to the Hakaniemi market and market hall in a traditional working class district. I would just exercise some extra caution as the surrounding blocks are also somewhat rough compared to other areas of Helsinki.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never felt in any danger wandering around nearby during several stays at the Hilton Strand.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Never felt in any danger wandering around nearby during several stays at the Hilton Strand.
There are no gangs etc. I woudl know of but the adjacent canal banks and market square area have been a magnet for homeless alcoholics and junkies since ages, at least when the sun is out.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:12 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I have a room booked at the Strand, so I will keep my eyes open and report back if something happens . I agree that the location is not superb, but I usually head south over the bridge for walks.

This hotel has a swimming pool and a nice exec lounge for guests staying in the exec rooms.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Heading to Helsinki this weekend and was wondering how the weather is/will be like, haven't been this late in the summer before.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Heading to Helsinki this weekend and was wondering how the weather is/will be like, haven't been this late in the summer before.
Same. Where are you staying.

I am still trying to get more information as I find out HEL does not have many guidebooks!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 5:26 am

I am still trying to get more information as I find out HEL does not have many guidebooks!
Psst: http://wikitravel.org/en/Helsinki
Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Same. Where are you staying.

Staying at the Radisson Plaza - weather forecast doesn't look too good for the weekend unfotunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.