Wiki Posts
Search

Appearance of AA FAs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; OnePass; SkyMiles
Appearance of AA FAs

Are than any rules for flight attendant attire other than the uniform? I continue to be appalled at the assortment of innappropriate footwear these good ladies (the male FAs are so far not guilty on my flights) wear. I was pleasantly amazed a couple of weeks ago when all 3 female FAs had on leather shoes (one in flats, 2 in low heels), since I more and more often see them in hideous clogs or even Crocs, God help us. Yesterday took the cake on flt. 474 DFW-ATL, on which the FA in First was charming and efficient but wore--I kid you not--black & white basketball shoes, a la the Cat's Heads of my youth. I know the FAs are allegedly there for our safety, but is it really asking too much to make believe AA is not just a flying bus company?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I've seen many FAs who wear standard "dress" shoes while walking through the terminal but then switch into more comfortable shoes while on board. It makes sense to me, especially for female FAs who want to get out of their high heels and into flat or other comfortable footware. Why does it matter? I don't think it makes them any less professional.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I can see the OPs point, but I can also understand that an FA may want to express a bit of a personality through a small change in attire.

In the end, personally, I'm less interested in their appearance and more interested in their level of service.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
If someone's job requires them to be on their feet for large stretches of time, I see no problem with their wearing comfortable shoes, without regard to specific passengers' fashion sense. It certainly doesn't make the service any less palatable to me, or make things seem any more like a "bus."

Cheers.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I've seen many FAs who wear standard "dress" shoes while walking through the terminal but then switch into more comfortable shoes while on board. It makes sense to me, especially for female FAs who want to get out of their high heels and into flat or other comfortable footware. Why does it matter? I don't think it makes them any less professional.
A flight attendant wearing crocs or the basketball shoes described by the OP would be very unprofessional.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by mdusry
I continue to be appalled at the assortment of innappropriate footwear these good ladies ...
Innappropriate footwear? Because it's not stylish enough for you?
Incredible!

FAs spend a great deal of time on their feet and I don't blame the ones who choose comfort over fashion. And honestly, if I could get a pre-flight drink and have my jacket hung on a regular basis, I wouldn't care if the FAs wore big pink bunny slippers on every flight.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Incredible!

FAs spend a great deal of time on their feet and I don't blame the ones who choose comfort over fashion. And honestly, if I could get a pre-flight drink and have my jacket hung on a regular basis, I wouldn't care if the FAs wore big pink bunny slippers on every flight.

Hear hear!!! ^^
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Incredible!

How do you know the OP is not a sales manager for the shoe department in Nordstroms?

mike
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
How do you know the OP is not a sales manager for the shoe department in Nordstroms?

mike
I hadn't thought of that, but you may be right.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:22 pm

From a safety standpoint, if the flight attendant was forced to evacuate the cabin, which would you prefer: a flight attendant in 5 inch stilettos or comfortable shoes? Personally, I really do not care what footwear the flight attendant wears.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:36 pm

Can't say I have a problem with it or have ever really noticed it.

I do wonder what their manuals say about wearing shoes onboard though? I'm sure it must be covered?

On a slight tangent, I really like the aprons that they wear. They range from just having the FA's name on, to some quite funky designs!

After all I suppose, it is always the simple things...
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:37 pm

FAs are hardly the only professionals on their feet hours on end. There are plenty of attractive, orthopaedic and comfortable alternatives to crocks and basketball shoes. Ask any podiatrist ~ it is entire possible to look well-dressed and in keeping with the uniform.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mdusry
...or even Crocs, God help us.
Something wrong with Crocs? I'm not an FA, but I wear them all the time because they're so comfortable--and many people who are on their feet all day do the same.

(No, I don't work for or own stock in Crocs.)
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I think what's really at issue here is whether or not an FA's footwear is actually important.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum HHonors - Diamond
Originally Posted by aaflyer81
From a safety standpoint, if the flight attendant was forced to evacuate the cabin, which would you prefer: a flight attendant in 5 inch stilettos or comfortable shoes? Personally, I really do not care what footwear the flight attendant wears.
I've always been surprised to see FA's in heels, considering the "safety" aspect of their flight.

However, Crocs are worse, from a safety point of view.

For both safety and appearance the best approach would be (non flammable) slacks and leather flats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.