Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Disney Orlando Dophin or Swan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2001, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something

I know this topic has to come up every few weeks and I have been patiently waiting for someone to ask again. I've read all the past postings on these properties and am currently holding reservations at both over Thanksgiving weekend for a UA mileage run with some fun.

Has anyone stayed at these properties in the month of October? The last report I could find was shortly after 9-11. How was service, facilities, upgrades? (I'm SPG Gold for what that's worth.)

I'll post a report around November 30 with our experience.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Old Nov 2, 2001, 4:26 pm
mypriceline.com

I found Safari to be a great deal. I stayed there, got upgrade, treated like a king

------------------
www.MyPriceLine.com-a message board where others share winning airfare, hotel, or car rental bids from priceline.com.

Old Nov 3, 2001, 1:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I spent my "Free Friday/Saturday" last weekend at the Swan. At check-in, I was given a standard room on the Club Level and a choice of Platinum amenities. The Club Lounge had continental breakfast and happy hours snacks. The hotel staff all were friendly and accommodating, including the housekeepers who provided turndown service. The Boardwalk was very quiet on Friday night and not much busier on Saturday night. I have favorite restaurants outside of the Disney property so I did not check on the hours of any of the restaurants in the hotel. It was a pretty routine Westin stay, with no indications that the property was operating other than "business as usual."

------------------
Biggest Little 1K (in The Biggest Little City) In The World
Old Nov 3, 2001, 4:04 am

Friends stayed there recently and received 20% off food at at all Swan and Dolphin restaurants (except for Shula's) with their Disney Club card.

They also received a rate of $99 because of some mistake in advertising that rate for government workers. The rate may still be available.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 9:04 am
Jae

As an employee I have no insight into the benefits an elite Preferred Guest might receive there, but having recently spent 4 nights at the Swan I give it my most sincere and unbiased recommendation. The staff is excellent, the pool/beach area is a nice change of pace for the kids after a tough day of Magic Kingdoming and the boat launch to either Epcot or MGM is very convenient. Tubby's Buffeteria in the Dolphin is also a great place to stock up on milk & snacks for the kids. We stayed Thursday-Sunday, and while Saturday was quite crowded, there were virtually no lines for rides the other 3 days. If you've ever said to yourself "I'd love to go to Disney World but I don't want to stand in long lines," now is the perfect time to go.

jk

------------------
"Hang up my haishirt, put my scourge in place, and pray, Laurent, for Heaven's perpetual grace."

Moliere, "Tartuffe"
Old Nov 5, 2001, 9:47 am

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
Hey, Jae, nice to see you posting again! I thought with your new duties, you'd forgotten all about us.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 3:03 am

I stayed at both the Swan and the Dolphin. While I liked the Swan much better, it seems to be a contrarian opinion here on Flyertalk.

At the time that I stayed there, I was not elite, so I can't comment on elite benefits. I can tell you that the Dolphin had a special check-in desk for SPG members, and the Swan's front desk folks didn't seem to be very attentive when we were there, but we really liked our rooms much better at the Swan.

The Dolphin is supposedly the single largest structure inside WDW. It's huge.

-David
Old Nov 6, 2001, 9:39 am
Jae

markbach, reviewing FlyerTalk is still part of my daily routine. It helps me keep current on both our myriad promos and the ever-important pulse of our customers. As a Black Belt trained in the Six Sigma methodology, understanding the Voice of the Customer is as crucial now as it was when I lurked these hallowed halls, so I'll keep hanging around as long as everyone promises to keep sharing their experiences and opinions with us.

jk

------------------
"Hang up my haishirt, put my scourge in place, and pray, Laurent, for Heaven's perpetual grace."

Moliere, "Tartuffe"
Old Nov 6, 2001, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Thanks to everyone who has posted in the thread. And great to see you posting again Jae. I always learn from what you have to say.

Charles
Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Just back from the Dolphin. Have stayed at both Swan and Dolphin probably 10 times each...these are both fantastic properties. Hard to have a bad time at either of them.

As a platinum, I was preblocked for club level prior to arrival at the Dolphin (I know b/c I checked the details of my reservation the day prior to departure and it so indicated).

Arrived early at 11am. My room was not available so I was given club level access and a regular room. Platinum amenity no problem. Was told the hotel was "sold out so no suites are available." I had always - literally every time - received club level as a gold in the past so this being first time as platinum, I wanted to see what a suite was like! Later that afternoon decided to ask very politely again, this time at the SPG check in desk. The guy was really, really nice...showed me a book of what the various suites look like, scoured the computer (trying, he said, to get me a suit "4 times the size of a regular room.") He apologized that all he could get me was a suite "2.5x the size of a regular room). It was on a smoking floor but no smoke smell at all.

The suites are used, it appears, primarily for corporate host rooms - they have pull down murphy beds which are almost an after thought. If you like lots of real estate and don't mind a full size bed instead of a king...you'll love the suites here. Well appointed with a wet bar, table and 4 chairs, couch & 2 chairs in the TV sitting area...really large. I can't imagine what the 4x one is like.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:29 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My hat is off to you. I stay there 2 to 3 times a year and have never received a suite upgrade as a Gold.

I was there in March and had to argue with the manager to grant one last time access to Concierge Floor. Only for Platinums now, they showed me the official book of rules for their property.

I did not stay there in this month, April when I was in Orlando due to no club floor access.

Alfred--
Old Apr 25, 2002, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's odd. I'm a lowly gold and just reserved an award stay at the Dolphin in July, and my confirmation states I'm booked in Non-Smoking King Club Floor room.

I guess I'm pre-upgraded!
Old Apr 25, 2002, 3:14 am

You actually need to book a hotel inside Disney, Premex? Is this what they call a busman's holiday?

-David
Old Apr 25, 2002, 9:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
That's odd. I'm a lowly gold and just reserved an award stay at the Dolphin in July, and my confirmation states I'm booked in Non-Smoking King Club Floor room.

I guess I'm pre-upgraded!
</font>
PremEx,

Don't be disappointed. I was at the Dolphin last Sept 2001 and was booked for a non-smoking king club room using a free weekend award. Once I arrived, the best they did for me as a Gold was "upgrade" me from a ROH room. Check out my previous thread on this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/002341.html

Kind of weird since in Aug 2000 staying at the Swan (also a Gold), I was upgraded to a corner suite, a view of Epcot, and access to the Club Lounge.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks bHbZ for the warning! I'll have my lawyer's letter pre-drafted to present at check-in, along with my faxed confirmation.

Unlike your situation in that link, I just made my free stay over the web site, and that's the room I was automatically assigned. So there was no agent who did the wrong thing (not that that would matter to me anyway...a confirmation is a confirmation).

If I'm really lucky and get a particularily unaccomodating check-in agent, I could just end up in the Presidental Suite! You see...it's these types of situations that I just live for to test the Customer Service skills of the staff and rate how they handle a Fubar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.