Wiki Posts
Search

Fall Foliage from NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, BA, CO, and more
Fall Foliage from NYC

We are looking to spend 1 or 2 nights enjoying the upcoming Fall Foliage.

For whatever reason we are restricted to be within 1.5 hours drive of NYC. Can anyone assist us with a 5* (or excellent 4*) hotel within this area that would allow us to enjoy the colors (gardens, places to walk, things to do. food should not be a factor).

The two ideas thus far were the Mayflower Inn - we don't want to go there, and the RC CP - stay in NYC and enjoy the park - something we will consider. We would prefer though to be closer to the countryside.

Thank you all in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

slightly farther @ ~2.5 hours >

Lodge at Woodloch - from $700 ($900 for full board plus)

Wheatleigh - from $650

Winvian - villas from $1450, includes all food but not alcohol IIRC

thats interesting Mayflower is "less than 2 hours" i didnt realize it was that close.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:31 pm

Winvian

Drive 2 hrs and stay at Winvian which is wonderful! The website does not do it justice, infact I hate the website. Nothing under two hours that I can think of as most places are already booked.www.winvian.com
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

youve stayed? how was it, and was any alcohol included?

if youve also stayed at twin farms, how would you compare the two?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:08 am

Winvian

We really liked Winvian. The food was really well prepared and you had choices at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Unlike Twin Farms which has a set menu for all ( I know they still will make you what ever you want if you don't like the menu) Winvian lets you eat when you want and presents a menu. Thats the difference. Wine is included with the meal and is paired with each course. The cottages are just as nice maybe not as fine of furnishings as Twin Farms but still better then any Four Seasons or Aman.The only cottage that did not wow me was the helicopter suite and that gets all the press so I would not worry about which one to stay in. We stayed in Camping and loved the windows, two fireplaces,(with real wood) and the large bathroom. All the rooms have Nespresso coffee makers which I really like.
The public areas are very nice and the spa is done well, Service was friendly and they could not do enough for you.The only thing that was lacking was a proper gym and with time I think they will add more equipment as right now I have more things in my home gym.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:11 am

Rhinebeck, New York - Beekman Arms

Also, the Tarrytown House or the Castle in Westchester County.

Also, Mohonk and I believe the Emerson Inn and Spa which was closed to fire a couple years back has been restored since the beg. of this year.

Also Cold Springs New York, great outdoor activities and some nice lodging near it - Garrison Inn and the Cromwell. Also if you are looking for a B&B the Kittleman's House.

All of the above are within 1.5 hours. All are four stars.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by zigzag
We really liked Winvian. The food was really well prepared and you had choices at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Unlike Twin Farms which has a set menu for all ( I know they still will make you what ever you want if you don't like the menu) Winvian lets you eat when you want and presents a menu. Thats the difference. Wine is included with the meal and is paired with each course. The cottages are just as nice maybe not as fine of furnishings as Twin Farms but still better then any Four Seasons or Aman.The only cottage that did not wow me was the helicopter suite and that gets all the press so I would not worry about which one to stay in. We stayed in Camping and loved the windows, two fireplaces,(with real wood) and the large bathroom. All the rooms have Nespresso coffee makers which I really like.
The public areas are very nice and the spa is done well, Service was friendly and they could not do enough for you.The only thing that was lacking was a proper gym and with time I think they will add more equipment as right now I have more things in my home gym.
How would you describe the demographic they target with their styling? 50+ yo execs with spouse?, families?, young affluent couples?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:29 pm

Winvian

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
How would you describe the demographic they target with their styling? 50+ yo execs with spouse?, families?, young affluent couples?

I would think young affluent couples or people who just spend most of their income on great hotels and restaurants. This is not a place for families as I think there is a age restriction. I think design junkies will like this place as lot of time and money went into everything here.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:39 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Mohonk Mountain house would be a good choice and is just about 2 hours from the city.

http://www.mohonk.com/
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:45 am
Company Representative - Winvian & The Pitcher Inn

Winvian's Website being Updated

Drive 2 hrs and stay at Winvian which is wonderful! The website does not do it justice, infact I hate the website. Nothing under two hours that I can think of as most places are already booked.www.winvian.com
================================================

Hi, Win from Winvian here! I have some good news for you, our website is being updated to remove much of the flash content to make it easier to navigate and easier to google, especially if you have an IPhone. Basically we have asked many questions over the years on how we can better serve our guests and we have instituted some new ideas, rates and policies. The website was tough, I admit, and did not give the user much control. We will maintain the integrity of the site and the brand but we will allow for better access to images and virtual tours of the cottages as well as some additional information that makes like easier for us all. I am looking to add HD video hopefully sooner, than later, because still images do not do our exquisite design enough justice.

I also want you to be aware that we have both a la Carte and Inclusive pricing so Winvian rates start at $650 per night (based on double occupancy). Everyone now thinks that our base price is $1,450 and up.....that is simply not the case.

I also want to stress that we ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC for day use at the Restaurant and Spa, so you can indulge without spending the night, we just ask that you make reservations prior to arrival.

Lastly, should anyone ever need information, assistance our would like to schedule a site tour please just ask. You may call Winvian at (860) 567-9600 or simply email me: [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.