Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Arrow Westin Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050718/185613.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Everything Old is New Again: Carlyle Section of Historic Old Town, Alexandria, VA Gets Stylish New Westin
Monday July 18, 11:30 am ET

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 18, 2005--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) has completed an agreement with Regent Partners of Atlanta, Georgia to operate a new 319-room luxury hotel under its upper-upscale Westin brand in the Carlyle section of Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. The hotel will be the brand's first property in Alexandria, its second in Virginia and its fourth hotel in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area.

The Westin Alexandria will be the centerpiece of a 468,895-square foot, mixed-use development project. The 15-story building will also include 79 condominiums and desirable street-level restaurant and retail space. The hotel will be located next to the new 2.5-million square foot US Patent and Trademark Office headquarters. Wells Fargo's Real Estate Group, based in Boston, arranged $118.8 million in construction loan financing to Regent Partners for this development. The building was designed by Cooper Carry architects and will be constructed by Centrex Construction Co. The hotel is designed to complement other notable and historic buildings in the area with its traditional brick exterior and is due to be completed in 2007.

"The Westin Alexandria will be a significant addition to our metropolitan D.C. area portfolio of hotels - The Westin Grand, The Westin Embassy Row and The Westin Arlington Gateway, which is scheduled to open in 2006," said Sue Brush, senior vice president, Westin Hotels & Resorts. "We're attracted to the area because of the growth of nearby business and the impressive number of law firms and trade associations. Our nation's capital is a key market for both business and leisure travel. The Westin Alexandria will enhance both Westin and Starwood's presence in this historic and vibrant travel destination."

"This will be the first ground-up full-service hotel development in this section of Alexandria in more than six years," said Reid Freeman, executive vice president of Regent Partners. "The Westin Alexandria will bring style and energy to this mixed-use project and is a natural fit for this historic part of the Washington metropolitan area."

Old Town Alexandria is a quaint historic town just on the other side of the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. Founded in 1749, Alexandria's riverfront was an important colonial port during the colonial, revolutionary and Civil War periods. Today, it is a revitalized waterfront with cobblestone streets, colonial houses and churches, museums, shops and restaurants.

The Westin Alexandria will feature 18,000 square feet of meeting space containing the largest ballroom in the Old Town, Alexandria vicinity, a signature restaurant and a fully equipped business center. Westin's signature Heavenly Bed® and Heavenly Bath® will grace every guestroom and the hotel will also offer the brand's new fully-equipped WestinWORKOUT® Rooms and WestinWORKOUT® Powered by Reebok fitness center. The 79 one, two and three-bedroom condominium units will average approximately 1,000 square feet, all offering spectacular views of Washington.

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:04 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
It's not exactly "Old Town" but still a good location and a nice addition.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Indeed, it really is a stratch to call this Old Town. But a welcome addition nonetheless. I'm actually really looking forward to the Arlington property, scheduled for 2/06 opening, it's walking distance from my office so I'll probably make use of it for events and for folks coming into town.

Originally Posted by A320 EOW
"This will be the first ground-up full-service hotel development in this section of Alexandria in more than six years," said Reid Freeman, executive vice president of Regent Partners. "The Westin Alexandria will bring style and energy to this mixed-use project and is a natural fit for this historic part of the Washington metropolitan area."
I just love the way that marketing folks carefully define ways that they're unique or "first"

This hotel is first in the category they've just created
- ground up
- full service
- this section of Alexandria
- Six years

Wow! What a major breakthrough!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:46 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hertz Gold, AGR, Delta Silver
Westin Alexandria [Master Thread]

Anyone know of bonus point specials that will be going on for the grand opening of the Westin Alexandria on Nov 1?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by luskinj
Anyone know of bonus point specials that will be going on for the grand opening of the Westin Alexandria on Nov 1?
Try: http://www.frequentflyerbonuses.com/
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Westin Alexandria opened on Nov 7

http://www.hotelinteractive.com/hi_i...rticle_id=9216

The Westin Alexandria Debuts
HotelInteractive.com
11/8/2007 12:41:09 PM

The sound of trumpets and the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra resonated through The Westin Alexandria’s impressive grand lobby to mark opening day on November 7, 2007. The nearby U.S. Patent & Trademark Office provided inspiration for the inventive theme seen throughout the hotel, including the striking lobby clock, a tribute to Benjamin Banneker.

The ribbon cutting captured the historic charm and feel of Old Town. The ceremony was kicked off with a “cry” from William North-Rudin, Alexandria’s official town crier, outfitted in traditional attire from the 1790s. Following remarks, the ribbon was cut by representatives from Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Westin, and hotel owners Regent Partners. Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille welcomed the hotel to the community on its first day of business, alongside business and government leaders.

After the ceremony, guests dined in the Edison Ballroom, feasting on delectable creations from the hotel’s culinary innovator, Executive Chef Nadine Thomas. A final surprise during tours were famous American inventors, including Eli Whitney and Alexander Graham Bell, in full costume outside each meeting room bearing his or her name.

Guests were introduced to the Jamieson Grille restaurant, seating 96; Trademark Bar, seating 50; the WestinWORKOUT® Powered by Reebok fitness center overlooking the Federal Courthouse; the indoor pool with whirlpool; and a guest room. The hotel has 319 rooms, each equipped with Westin amenities including the Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Bath.

The Westin Alexandria is conveniently situated just five miles from Reagan National Airport and three blocks from Amtrak and the King Street Metro station. For more information, please visit www.westin.com/alexandria or call 703.253.8600.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: * A
You can receive 3,000 bonus Starpoints® on stays at The Westin Alexandria from November 7, 2007 through February 29, 2008. I am not sure if it's targeted or not. YMMV.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:13 pm

The 3,000 points promo is even on the front page of westin.com. Promotion code WAO, or use this link:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ml?promoID=WAO

(The site seems to be having some problems, and gave me a generic error message, but I still got the registration email.)
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:46 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by noirpepper
You can receive 3,000 bonus Starpoints® on stays at The Westin Alexandria from November 7, 2007 through February 29, 2008. I am not sure if it's targeted or not. YMMV.
I received a mailer regarding this promo. It states registration must be completed by 12/31/07 for stays 11/01/07 through 2/29/08. Register online at:

http://www.westin.com/grandopeningalexandria
Old Nov 17, 2007, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
are these only specific rates or any point qualifying rate?
Old Nov 17, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Stay

I stayed at the WA last Saturday after it opened on Wedneday. The staff was fabulous...very helpful and quick with no issues or first weekend jitters.

It was my next to last stay for Plat, so no upgrade, just a tradional really well done with nice bathroom.

The hotel is in a great location and will only get better after all the shops, cafes, stores, etc are opened around the property. It's a three minute walk to the King St metro, so easy to hop into DC.

The lobby is beautiful and smelled like a new building. There is very little parking besides valet however, BUT we were not charged for parking overnight. I'm not sure if this was a first week deal, but it was very nice to not pay for parking. If you aren't lucky enough to snag a curbside spot, it's the valet for you.

Overall, great property in what will be a great business district.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Question: Are there any shops and restaurants (grocery, starbucks etc) that are close by?

I am trying to decide whether or not to stay there instead of Westin DC City Center for the 3K points What do you think?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Question: Are there any shops and restaurants (grocery, starbucks etc) that are close by?

I am trying to decide whether or not to stay there instead of Westin DC City Center for the 3K points What do you think?
I can't confirm as my stay here is in early January, but I hear there is a Starbucks on hotel property.

Personally I would take the 3000 points and stay here instead. But that's me.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld

I live a few blocks away. There's a Whole Foods east on Duke Street and a few restaurants around there. The bulk of the restaurants, though, are on King Street which is a 10-15 minute walk or a short taxi ride away.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by haveric
I live a few blocks away. There's a Whole Foods east on Duke Street and a few restaurants around there. The bulk of the restaurants, though, are on King Street which is a 10-15 minute walk or a short taxi ride away.
Thanks!!

And for Lurker, is the 3000 point promotion combinable with 2008 Q1 promo?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.