Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

There's a big fat man in the Lounge wearing nothing but a towel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I swear it's true. Well almost. He was actually wearing two towels. One around his ample waist, and one wrapped around his hairy torso and over one shoulder.

It was in the Lounge at AMM, at lunchtime today, as I was waiting to board the flight back to LHR. There, across the Lounge, was a rotund man, walking around dressed in two white towels and a pair of flip flops.

Now can anyone suggest what might have been going on?

- He took a shower and someone stole his clothes? (But there are no showers, only very scary loos in the Lounge).

- Someone told him there was a toga party going on?

- This is a Middle Eastern tradition I am completly unaware of?

Last edited by Smirnoff; Sep 28, 2007 at 2:33 pm
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:58 pm

I think that's fairly standard dress for a Muslim male on the hajj, in Mecca. Don't know if it is worn to and from there.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Get really worried when you hear

"Cooee Smirnie I really, really, love you.."
Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
It sounds like he was going to Mecca to perform Umrah, and that's the proper clothing to wear.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Caloy
It sounds like he was going to Mecca to perform Umrah, and that's the proper clothing to wear.
A towel?

Can anyone go?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can I just point out that I mean no disrespect.

In fact I think it's very practical. Perhaps travelling in towels in the way forward.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by chucko
I think that's fairly standard dress for a Muslim male on the hajj, in Mecca. Don't know if it is worn to and from there.
It is indeed, but he is more than two months early. Perhaps he was going to walk there?

Alternatively, maybe you saw the spirit of Douglas Adams.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I saw a similarly dressed gentleman in DXB being driven through the terminal in a buggy. It certainly adds to the flavour of the travelling experience and nobody but me seemed to take any notice of it whatsoever.^
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by redshift27
It is indeed, but he is more than two months early.
The performance of Umrah isn't confined to any particular time of the year, although during the Holy month of Ramadan, which is now, it is especially significant.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It depends on the time of year. In the summer heat, they use a thin linen material. In the cooler months, they use towelling material. What you have to bear in mind is that they have to live as pilgrims in fairly austere surroundings and mainly sleep in tents. If they get cold, there is no running to a heated area or wearing a jacket. It is like shedding your worldly possessions.

It is a Muslim tradition not just in the Middle East. But other than in Mecca (where they are all heading to), you only see them at airports around the world making their way to Saudi Arabia. Strange time to year to do an Umrah (the name of a mini-Haj which can be done at any time of year) since it is currently the Muslim fasting month as well so it is physically very demanding. I trust the individual was not eating or drinking in the lounge. I always think it is strange that while they have to live in austere surroundings in Mecca, flying in First or Business is not an issue.

If you want to see mass crowds in similar robes, head to airports around early December since the time for the Haj is just before Christmas I think.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:27 pm

Thank goodness for e tickets but where would one carry one's passport???
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:57 pm

Didn't you see the Flyertalk tags on my towel? Why didn't you say hello?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
I know for a fact that you are not rotund! Though quite fetching in a towel, I have no doubt.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Can I just point out that I mean no disrespect.
I know. But it can look funny. I just tried my Ihram on this morning for the first time (I am performing Hajj this year) and I looked something like what you described in your post.

The Ihram must be worn by pilgrims performing Hajj. It consists of two unsewn sheets of cotton, one wrapped around the lower body and one draped over the upper body. During the Hajj, a man may undrape his right shoulder but otherwise will be well covered. A pilgrim is required to wear an Ihram because it removes the class, wealth and status and individuality aspects of the pilgrim - making him equal and at one before the masses and more importantly before God.

Generally, one dons the Ihram at their point of departure for Makkah. If I were flying from DFW to AMM and on to JED, I would also change in the lounge at AMM.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Can I just point out that I mean no disrespect. .........................
Why do you feel you need to say that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.