Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Cancun 2008 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Cancun 2008 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Arrow Le Meridien Cancun 2008 onward [Master Thread]

I was here for 5 days recently and the LM is a great hotel. I am a Plat and didn't get upgraded to an end suite at all, but was put on the PH floor (penthouse) with a nice 2 room suite. Busy, busy place. I actually got a call from the LM Manager, Fernando, prior to my arrival and he said that the hotel was oversold the night that I was going to be there and he politely asked if I wouldn't mind staying at the Ritz Carlton for one night and being confirmed for an upgrade the rest of the time I was there. I said it was fine and they paid for the room at the RC.

After that, they went over and above for my wife and I while we were there (free drinks, etc.) for the "inconvenience". The concierge staff is great, the the exec. lounge is pretty good. As a Plat, I received a bottle of wine and cheese as well as many bottles of water.

The pools are awesome but you had better wake up at about 5a to get the seat that you want. There are many kinds of other things by the pool, swinging cabana beds, stationary cabana beds, etc. that you can get for free so they go fast.

High end hotel and the price to go with it as well. Thank goodness it is a cat 4. Next time I will try the Westin to compare.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 24, 2009 at 9:46 am Reason: 2006-2007 reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/946931-le-meridien-cancun-2006-2007
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I stayed there for the first time recently. It was my last "Platinum" SPG stay (after being Plat since the beginning of SPG). It was a GREAT last Platinum stay. A beautiful suite upgrade, more than accommodating staff, a nice breakfast lounge if you have status or on a club level (didn't see the evening offerings) - the pool area was really nice (didn't use it), but the beach doesn't seem great over there.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:28 pm

Thanks for your response! So the beach was not nice at the hotel? Is there one close by that is and not very crowded? We are thinking about going there in June.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
There are scads of posts about this hotel here on FT and on more than a dozen other web review sites. Has the OP spent quality time and effort researching in those places? I'd recommend starting at tripadvisor.com.

The 15 second version is that the LeMeridien (note no "A"s) is a fabulous hotel -- world class, really. It's very much not the normal hotel in Cancun, and for me, that's a glorious thing. The facilties, the spa, the guestrooms, the staff, and just about everything here is exceptionally well executed. If these things are less important to the OP than a sprawling beach might be, then either look to the lesser Westin Cancun at the end of the strip or look outside of SPG altogether.

I will add that the Yucatan Peninsula in June will be hotter than the hinges of hell. Be advised.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PL
Originally Posted by sbtinme

The 15 second version is that the LeMeridien (note no "A"s) is a fabulous hotel -- world class, really. It's very much not the normal hotel in Cancun, and for me, that's a glorious thing. The facilties, the spa, the guestrooms, the staff, and just about everything here is exceptionally well executed. If these things are less important to the OP than a sprawling beach might be, then either look to the lesser Westin Cancun at the end of the strip or look outside of SPG altogether.

I will add that the Yucatan Peninsula in June will be hotter than the hinges of hell. Be advised.
I agree with sbtinme. I am just returning from CUN, and indeed the LM is a fantastic property. Service is top notch, and the pool is excellent. Most of the Yucatan Peninsula has lost much of the sandy beach, but they are rebuilding and it seems to have improved quite a bit since I was last there in April 08.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:36 am
RNE

Le Meridien Cancun [Master Thread]

Hotel: Le Meridien Cancun Resort & Spa. My wife wanted a spa weekend, near the ocean. This seemed perfect. It was.

The airport at Cancun is very modern, spacious, well laid out and welcoming. Not welcoming, was the 65-minute wait in line to get through immigration! I have traveled to 40 countries, and never have I had to endure such a protracted wait. Is there a big problem with people trying to sneak into Mexico!? Then we had to go through Customs. They searched both our bags—but it only took 12 seconds, so who’s complaining? We got a shuttle to Le Meridien.

We were given an upgrade to a balcony room that overlooked the pools and ocean. Beautiful view! Our room was not quite ready (check-in time is 3 p.m.), so we spent some time looking around the property. Lots of marble inside and lovely landscaping outside. There are three pools that cascade down toward the beach and ocean. There are tennis courts atop a gymnasium atop the extensive spa: sauna, steam room, whirlpool, plunge pool, massage and therapy rooms, salon, etc. Our room was very elegant—particularly the marble floors. Nice touch. The only real problem at the hotel is construction noise from the lot next door. That went on until past 9 p.m. Friday and until noon Saturday. I wanted to explore Cancun, but my wife loved the pool area so much, she didn’t want to leave. We hung out at the pool all day, every day. The attendants were great and service was spectacular! Stay there, if you can. I wish I could tell you more about Cancun, but I never saw much of it. Sorry.

Le Meridien Cancun is wonderful!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 7, 2008 at 10:55 am Reason: Copied from airline/hotel report in Mexico forum; cut to just the hotel review
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:35 pm

Does anyone know when the construction next door will be completed?

We are considering staying there for a week in April but only if the heavy construction is over.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:59 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by MarkRichmond
Does anyone know when the construction next door will be completed?
I can tell you that they were just beginning construction: external framework and pouring floors. They were up to the third floor, but the project looked like it was going to be six stories, at least! That's how high the rebar went when I last saw it. Many more floors might be planned. If so, it will mess up the southern view from Le M, even after the construction and noise end. Still, it is a great hotel!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, SPG Gold
Construction

Any update? How noisy is it? Wondering if the Le Meridien with construction is STILL a slam dunk over the Westin. The price difference is about $24 per night.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Nikki00
Wondering if the Le Meridien with construction is STILL a slam dunk over the Westin.
In my book, the LM will always be a slam dunk over the Westin under almost any circumstance. The quality of staff, alone, more than makes up the difference. The LM has substantially better pools and the best spa in the city. The Westin is cursed with 1970s style square mini pools.

Opinions vary, of course, but I stand firmly behind the exceptionally well run LM.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Agree

Originally Posted by sbtinme
In my book, the LM will always be a slam dunk over the Westin under almost any circumstance. The quality of staff, alone, more than makes up the difference. The LM has substantially better pools and the best spa in the city. The Westin is cursed with 1970s style square mini pools.

Opinions vary, of course, but I stand firmly behind the exceptionally well run LM.
I echo sbtinme comments, having stayed at both places within the past two years.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:34 am

I was there over Labor Day weekend, 9/1. Construction is still going, but it didn't bother us at all. I am glad to have stayed here, no question about it.

Originally Posted by Nikki00
Any update? How noisy is it? Wondering if the Le Meridien with construction is STILL a slam dunk over the Westin. The price difference is about $24 per night.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: NWA, Starwood, Continental, Hilton Honors
I stayed last March - thought the hotel and staff was exceptional. One of my favorite hotels in Cancun. The pools are great, the cafe outside by the ocean was very good. The main restaurant was also nice. I would go back in a heart beat.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:09 pm

2009 availability?

I couldn't find one single available room at Le Meridien Cancun (using spg.com) from January 2, 2009 onward.

Calling the hotel directly, after some language issues I learned that they do have rooms available for the original dates I searched for.

Does anyone know: Is this a website bug? Are they leaving Starwood? (I asked whether the hotel would still be part of Starwood, and was told it "is supposed to," which I took as a yes, but I might have misinterpreted that.)

I should add: hotels.com does show availability, as do airline sites. I'm trying to pay with money, not starpoints. The only "special conditions" issue are the US-Mexico passport restrictions.

Last edited by Moriens; Oct 13, 2008 at 5:14 pm Reason: searched non-spg sites
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:46 pm

I loved this hotel. My sister and I stayed for a couple of days back in August. I have platinum status and we were upgraded to a fantastic room. The construction didn't really bother us at all. The happy hour and breakfast were nice ways to save some money (in the club room/area). The hotel itself was beautiful, w/three gorgeous salt water pools. We ate at the hotel and the food in the restaurant was pricey but good. Outside by the pool we rented one of the swinging chaise lounges....very relaxing. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place. Much smaller and nicer than other Cancun hotels.

We also took tours arranged w/the hotel travel desk, one to Chichen-Itza and the Whale Shark tour. I can't recommend the Whale Shark tour enough. It exceeded all of my expectations. You do need to know how to swim quickly w/fins (basically you keep your legs straight when kicking). And you have to be ok in deep water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.