Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Fall/Winter Dishes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Favorite Fall/Winter Dishes

With temperatures finally beginning to drop in the Northeast (at least I am no longer wearing shorts), it is time to think about fall/winter foods that I love.
The type of food that you want when the temperature is below 40 degrees F.
For me, 2 things come to mind:
1) Chili. I know, some folks can eat chili when it is 95 degrees in the shade. While it still tastes good, there is nothing like a bowl on a cold winter night....
2) Osso Bucco. When prepared properly, with the meat falling off the shank...simply delicious. Matched with the proper wine, it makes an incredible cold weather meal.
So....what do you like to eat during these colder months? (And yes, those of you in southern CA and FL can play along too !!!).
Old Nov 5, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: US,HH
It hit 90 here today so I'm grilling again tonight.

When I finally turn my oven on it will be for roasted acorn squash with butter and cinnamon.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:26 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kellio33
It hit 90 here today so I'm grilling again tonight.
things are so relative, I'll be grilling at 20 below
Originally Posted by phillygold
1) Chili. I know, some folks can eat chili when it is 95 degrees in the shade. While it still tastes good, there is nothing like a bowl on a cold winter night....
yes, good soups/stews, gumbo, chili, pho, cassoulet. We are using our crock pot more and more as the weather gets cooler. Ginger chicken was last night.

Also roasts in the oven: duck, turkey, pork etc etc. The oven warms the kitchen and the smells that go through the house with a roast, YUM.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Nov 6, 2007 at 8:26 pm
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
I like almost anything slow-cooked when the weather is cold. One of my favorites is a Beef Carbonara recipe I discovered a few years ago.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: SAA, BAEC, MK, EK Once upon a time VS until I was robbed of miles.
For me, as a warmer, nothing beats a home cooked Lasagna made from scratch. A good lasagna is a labour of love and it takes time. I am not a fan of the American style lasagna which uses Ricotta as a filler. That's not lasagna to me.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Mrs. MileKing likes to rollout her Pfaltzgraff Winterberry collection of dishes for the fall/winter.

I, on the other hand, am content with a good bottle of Zin.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
I've just made a pot of potato soup with a lovely piece of shin beef. It's 46 degrees here. Brrr!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
My Mom's steak and vegetable soup, with an update...in a bread bowl!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
Originally Posted by braefoot
I've just made a pot of potato soup with a lovely piece of shin beef. It's 46 degrees here. Brrr!
Potato soup sounds so good. I'm going to make some this weekend. Thanks for the reminder!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
yes, good soups/stews, gumbo, chili, cassoulet. We are using our crock pot more and more as the weather gets cooler. Ginger chicken was last night.

Also roasts in the oven: duck, turkey, pork etc etc. The oven warms the kitchen and the smells that go through the house with a roast, YUM.
The crockpot/slow cooker definitely gets more use out of me in the colder months. I especially love those recipes (beef short ribs, lamb shanks, braised poultry of any sort) that let me fill the crock in the morning, go off to work and come back in the evening to wonderful smells and tender hearty fare.

If you're not a cook, such crock cookery is simple: insert some tough and/or collagen-laden piece of meat (brown it first if you like). Add roughly chopped onion/carrot/garlic/celery/fennel/etc. Pour in a half bottle of wine (your preference). Set to low, come back in 8 hours and you have dinner. Easy!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
things are so relative, I'll be grilling at 20 below
I'm with Sweet Willie -- I live in Minnesota, and it's NEVER too cold to grill!

As for fall/winter dishes, a good homemade soup always hits the spot. Tonight I'm heading home to my wife's butternut squash soup and some homemade 9-grain bread. Mmmmmmmm!!!!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Soups - salmon soup with black bread and salted butter, mushy pea/lentil soup with cooked sausage, Hungarian Goulash on ski trips, Borsh with smetana...

Also have a weakness for Russian fatty blinnis with various fillings, my favourites are vendace roe and mushroom salad.

And too many Asian winter dishes to start counting...
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:13 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
definitely soup.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:37 am

Programs: US,HH
Unhappy

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
I'm with Sweet Willie -- I live in Minnesota, and it's NEVER too cold to grill!
It's just been too warm here to even think of these types of foods yet. I can't wait till it cools down and can have homemade chicken and dumplings!

btw- my dad just left from a visit from PHX and landed in RST to some snow flurries.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:59 am

All kinds of yummy foods like my egg battered fried chicken with a side of blue cheese scalloped potatoes. Of course since it's now November, I'm already thinking of Thanksgiving and the bird! Garlic Whipped Potatoes, my homemade Old-Fashioned Turkey Gravy, Sourdough Sage Stuffing, Cranberry Apple Relish and other treats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.