Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Arrow Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

I will be spending one night in Singapore, the last time I was there, the only Starwood property was the Sheraton, now there is also the St. Regis and Le Meridian. Le Meridan is the least expensive followed by Sheraton and St. Regis. Does anyone know which of these is closest to the airport. I will only be in Singapore for 14 hours. Suggestions on hotel?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by KarensuePDX
I will be spending one night in Singapore, the last time I was there, the only Starwood property was the Sheraton, now there is also the St. Regis and Le Meridian. Le Meridan is the least expensive followed by Sheraton and St. Regis. Does anyone know which of these is closest to the airport. I will only be in Singapore for 14 hours. Suggestions on hotel?
Your criteria for "closest to the airport" is not meaningful. The CBD in SIN is relatively small, and each of these properties is located very near to one another.
A cab ride will be easy, and if you are there at a time when the MRT runs, you won't have any problems at all getting to/from Changi.

I have stayed Sheraton many times, and also at LM. I have not seen the St Regis, but the rates I get when I run it on SPG's site seem high to me.
Sheraton may be a bit more upscale, but for 14 hours - LM is just as good in my opinion.

Best, Dave
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:41 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
SIN is really quite close to the centre of Singapore. A cab should not cost much more than S$ 20. The metro is also quite frequent, and pretty convienient if you don't have too much luggage. The nearest Metro station to the Sheraton is Newton (2 minutes walk away) while for the Meridien you have a choice of Dhoby Ghaut or Somerset stations (both 5-7 minutes walk away).

And all the SPG properties are a quite similar distance from the airport as well.

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you are really really desperate to be near the airport then there is the option of the Changi airport hotel, which used to be a Le Meridien until last year. A 5 minute drive from the airport. But not a SPG prop anymore!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks Dave,
You make good sense..
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:45 am
Original Poster

I will be arriving at 12:30am, does the public transit still operate at that hour?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I will be arriving at 12:30am, does the public transit still operate at that hour?
http://www.smrt.com.sg/index.asp
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I tried Le meridien once, found it very run down and lacking.
I have never tried the St Regis, but have stayed several times at the
Sheraton, and find it adequate, although the staff often seem to have
something of an " attitude". Always long lines check-in and -out, strange for
a Towers property
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
No MRT (rail Mass Rapid Transit) at that hour. You will need to take a taxi and pay the midnight and airport surcharge. Ask for a printed receipt as SIN taxi driver are know for ripping off foreigners. If the driver says his printer is not working and offers a hand written one be very aware. Unless it is a holiday the airport and midnight charge should be the only extra fee that time of day. Rate chart at http://www.smrt.com.sg/taxis/fares.asp and http://www.cdgtaxi.com.sg/commuters_...mvn?cid=138401 . I suggest you print and take with you. There is no airport surcharge on the return.

While you are in the cab jot down the driver's name and license number. It appears on a card posted. Write down the taxi company name, phone number and the license plate number.

If the ripoff occurs on the way to the hotel ask the hotel to call the taxi company. Tell the driver to wait until it is settled. He then will generally try to negotiate a new rate.

If it occurs on the way to the airport get your luggage and then tell the driver you are seeking the airport police. The driver will then usually leave without you paying anything. The airport police actually cannot do anything. Taxi fares are not under their jurisdiction. If you have a cell phone call the taxi company to report it.

You may think this is paranoid but my experience is that about 50% of my rides to/from the airport and hotels are ripoffs. When I lived in SIN and went to my apartment I don't think it ever occurred. The drivers assume locals know the rules.

Typical daytime rates to airport from the Starwood hotels should be around S$15-18, night from airport S$20-26. If someone has more up-to-date prices please post. I have not been in SIN for almost a year.

BTW, I prefer the Sheraton but have not stayed in the St Regis. The Changi Village is satisfactory for transit visits and they provide free shuttle to/from airport.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 29, 2009 at 3:48 pm
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
No MRT (rail Mass Rapid Transit) at that hour. You will need to take a taxi and pay the midnight and airport surcharge. Ask for a printed receipt as SIN taxi driver are know for ripping off foreigners. If the driver says his printer is not working and offers a hand written one be very aware. Unless it is a holiday the airport and midnight charge should be the only extra fee that time of day. Rate chart at http://www.smrt.com.sg/taxis/fares.html . I suggest you have one with you. There is no airport surcharge on the return.
In all the times I've travelled to Singapore I can only recall one time where the driver tried to say it was a flat rate to the airport, rather than using the meter. I think you'd have a tough time finding anywhere else in the region with better drivers overall than in Singapore (and I'd take a Singapore cabbie over a Sydney cabbie anyday, that's for sure! ).
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Typical daytime rates to airport from the Starwood hotels should be around S$15-18, night from airport S$20-26. If someone has more up-to-date prices please post. I have not been in SIN for almost a year.

BTW, I prefer the Sheraton but have not stayed in the St Regis. The Changi Village is satisfactory for transit visits and they provide free shuttle to/from airport.
Last week arriving on UA including surcharge $25 SGD to Le Meridien Orchard Rd.
Departing next day back at 4pm $15 SGD.

As said above Meridien Orchard Rd. is a tired property,and I let them know the other day.Had some extra points added today.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:57 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
In all the times I've travelled to Singapore I can only recall one time where the driver tried to say it was a flat rate to the airport, rather than using the meter. I think you'd have a tough time finding anywhere else in the region with better drivers overall than in Singapore (and I'd take a Singapore cabbie over a Sydney cabbie anyday, that's for sure! ).
Most do use the meter but they slip in extra charges. The usual trick is the add in S$5 which is the booking fee if you book over phone or internet. Others will tell you that it its the airport surcharge when going to the airport (there is none). They are slick with this -- it will show up in the extras total on the meter. You might not notice it when there is also the airport surcharge and midnight surcharge in the extras sub-meter display. They do it at a point when they think you are not watching. All it takes is a couple button presses. Another trick is not to reset the meter from the previous trip.

I have no problems with their driving ability. Most drive safely.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:16 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by lovtofly3
Last week arriving on UA including surcharge $25 SGD to Le Meridien Orchard Rd...
That seems a little high as you should have paid the $15 charge, plus 10-35% midnight surcharge plus airport surcharge (S$3 or S$5 depending on date and time). I think you got ripped off a little. Use the chart at http://www.smrt.com.sg/taxis/fares.html to compute what the charge should be since you know the date and time. The midnight charge changes dynamically with the time.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I used to be a semi regular at the Sheraton, and I never once had issues with transport to/from the airport which was never in MRT-able times either way. I liked the Sheraton as a SPG property and for being so close to Newton Station; made it very easy to manage.

Steve
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
In all my time in Singapore, I've never come across a dishonest cab driver. Some are friendly and chatty, others are quiet and gruff, but I've never been charged anything other than what I owe.

Yes, there are a lot of surcharges in Singapore, but they're clearly marked in the taxi and you can work out the appropriate charges quite easily.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:47 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
This is great information, but I would also suggest that the OP checks out the TravelBuzz! forum and the Asia/Singapore forums for specific questions regarding Singapore and not *wood itself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.