Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

We just got back from a 6 night stay at the Westin Cancun. The property seems to be back on it's legs again. We were upgraded from our lagoon view room to an ocean side room. I'm just SPG Gold but it was nice to have the ocean view room. There is a slight smell of mildew or maybe it's the newly installed carpet in the hall ways but it's not noticeable or at least we did not notice it any where else in the hotel and not in our room. The spa is now in operation and they have brand new exercise equipment in the gym. The beach is very nice at the Westin and this time of year it was not overly crowded. The main pool on the beach side was nice and warm all but one day that we were there and the service staff was very friendly and helpful. The waitstaff who come around to the pool side and to the folks lounging on the beach was always very friendly and hard working. Our room rate included the buffet breakfast. They have an omlette station where you can get eggs cooked to order. They have fresh fruit, cheeses, cold cuts, bacon, sausage, several types of cold cereal and usually changed other types of potatoes and hot mexican dishes each morning. A wide assortment of breads and pastries was always available.

We did not eat at the restaruants other than breakfast and lunch pool side, which was typical bar food and prices to match. (burgers around 130 pesos w/ exchange rate at 10.8 pesos to the US$.) One tip, buy your water at one of the local grocery stores. It's about 6 times the cost at the hotel. 1.5L bottle for 70 pesos, downtown it's 12 pesos. We did not have anyone give us a hard sell on the time shares but they were always out and about. We skipped an evening cocktail hour for SPG mebers our second night, and maybe that's where they try to real you in. Overall we had a great time and we would go back. IMO,the beach at the Westin is one of the nicer more secluded parts of the hotel zone.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Now that this property has reopened, has anyone stayed there recently that can report on the treatment of Plats? Free breakfast, evening snacks, upgrades, etc.?

Also, do guests get credit for rooms being charged to a master account if their SPG name and number is associated with the room?
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I decided to stay during my summer visit and was incredibly disappointed. Granted, it was the day they reopened (They were supposed to reopen the week before so I thought it would be fine after a week) and I should give a little leeway, but really, they shouldn't have reopened so soon. The pool was closed, the spa was closed, there were no upgrades as no suites were even done, and there was a bulldozer on the beach and workmen repairing things that should be repaired before any guest steps foot on the property. I was disgusted, especially as I had stayed so many times before.

I used to love the Cancun Westin Regina and when I got there I was in shock. I couldn't even get out of the 1 night I booked there (I had booked the rest of my stay at Le Meredien) and they were apologetic at first but very strict about the cancellation policy. I don't think I should've paid a cent to stay there- nothing I held of value was available. In fact, there was no working tv in my room, no beach, no spa, no pool- so what were we supposed to do? I had to be moved from my oceanfront room to a lagoon room because the electricity was off on one side, yet I still paid for the oceanfront room. I was thrilled to get out of there.

That was June/July. I have NO idea how things are now. If they returned to their former glory, I'm glad. But I doubt I'll ever stay again because of the way I was treated when I arrived the last time. I should've been able to leave without penalty since they had no pool, no spa, mold and construction everywhere. They had nothing I would enjoy and I was not happy. A letter to them did nothing- I got no reply. I STILL get angry when I think of that stay, but at least I only booked one night!

Anyone stay recently?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:03 pm

cancun trip report

Westin is back to normal since August. Yes, they are still trying to rebuild the beach. All pools are opened at Westin. It is really pretty. Located at the quiet part of Canucn. I love the Westin. The service is EXCELLENT. We had a birthday celebration, and they sent up a cake to our room! EXCELLENT! YUMMY too! We stayed at Westin for 2 nights, and then headed over to the Le Meridian... also wonderful. The buffet was good.

Oh. JW has the lobster buffet which is very good. Gotta try that.

Oh... this was my seventh time to Cancun... I was kinda disappointed with the beach... the sand is not as fine as before, full of shells. The hurricane really did a lot of damage!! But I still love Cancun and would go there in a heart beat!
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I'll be at the Westin Jan. 20--24 using 3 AERORED3 cert. + 7000 *points. I'll be attending the first half of a volleyball camp at Club Med next door, which is so expensive esp. for a single--payable in real money only & no earning of points, etc. !
Great to know that both are newly remodeled!

BTW, William, is the Westin remaining a Cat. 3 & LeMéridien a 4?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
For those of you that have stayed at the Westin, do they try to get guests to attend a time share presentation? If so, is it high pressured? Whats the best you can get (in terms of points / goodies) to attend?

We were at the Westin CUN first week of Dec. '06. They gave us a packet at check-in, which included an invitation to to a cocktail hour, and we assume, a chance to set us up for a time share presentation. We did not attend the cocktail hour and received a call the day after in regards to receiving the "packet" which included info on time shares. We just told them we were not interested in the time share presentation. There were many people during the breakfast hours attending time share presentations. Don't know how many points they shell out for attending one but you can get a free breakfast.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Not a full trip report, but edited highlights for now at least.

Just hitting the last night of our 6 night stay at the Westin Cancun. I can't find a bad word to say about the place as the whole stay has been fantastic.

I'm only a gold, but was given a great upgrade for the stay. We were offered to split our stay between a suite and an ocean view room as they didn't have availability for all 6 nights in the suite. I thought it was pretty good of them to offer this, but we declined and stuck with the ocean view room as we would be out on various trips.

The room is pretty large, but with a fantastic view of the sea, overlooking the main pool and bar areas. There is wireless internet available throughout the hotel and rooms at a pretty reasonable rate of $31 pesos / $3 for 3 hours.

All facilities at the hotel are open with the exception of the spa which doesn't open for another month or so. In the mean time guests can use the Le Meridien Spa, with the hotel providing free transport.

The restaurants offer a pretty good range, with a bountiful breakfast buffet each morning with some really good staff. I'd recommend the Sea & Stones restaurant to anyone staying at the hotel. This features a hot stone on which guests get to cook their own meat to go with a selection of sauces, mexican beans and a baked potato. It's certainly unusual, but well worth trying.

The staff throughout the hotel have been friendly, genuine and keen to help. What is also noticeable is that the concierges actually give you good information rather than sell you tours. (There is a separate stand for that if you wish) We've saved a fair bit of cash on a couple of tours that were easily done by ourselves through some good advice.

Also, a few people have mentioned people selling timeshares here. We haven't seen or heard anyone doing anything like that at the hotel this week. It does seem to be a problem in the main tourist areas in Cancun itself though.

Overall a big ^ to the hotel. I'd recommend it as an option to anyone who is in town from our experience of it.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I plan to stay here next week. Good to see so many good reviews. How is the location of the hotel? Is the easy to get to the main attractions and the airport? I was planning on renting a car but heard some horror stories on the cops pulling you over and asking for money and running into trouble if you dont speak Spanish.. any experiences on this?
The location is at the begining of the strip, so it's very close to the airport. IMO, the beach is very nice in front of the Westin. The buses that go up and down Kulkucan (sp?) blvd are convenient and cheap. ( 6 pesos ).

Didn't rent a car while we were there, so can't comment on the rental experience.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:22 pm

I plan to stay here next week. Good to see so many good reviews. How is the location of the hotel? Is the easy to get to the main attractions and the airport? I was planning on renting a car but heard some horror stories on the cops pulling you over and asking for money and running into trouble if you dont speak Spanish.. any experiences on this?
Sorry, posted my mini-review and then was in transit to New York and then off sightseeing.

As has already been posted, it is at the very end of the strip, at the end nearest the airport. It is still about 10-15 mins drive to the airport.

The bus is 6.5 pesos per person and they are super regular. (Usually more than one a minute - it is a race track for buses) Airport to the Westin is easy. About $25 for a private cab to / from the airport. It is $9 each way for the shared van service with Gray Line. You'll be first to be dropped off at the Westin.

We didn't rent a car as the bus service was great for anything local and we did organised tours for places further afield. The only place we avoided a tour to and did on public transport was Cozumel as it only costs 34 pesos on the ADO coach from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen for the ferry to Cozumel.

Having seen the roads around Cancun and the general free for all with the drivers, I wouldn't want to drive myself, but each to their own. There is a lot more freedom with a car, plus the parking is free at the Westin.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
For those of you who have stayed at the Westin, would you say any room at the "Royal Beach Club" is more perferable to any room in the main building? (Considering amenities, location, view, etc etc).

I am SPG Gold and see plenty of availability for Royal Beach club rooms during my stay (which is in a week). Should I expect that upgrade as a Gold? Would it be considered rude to call the night before and specifically ask for it?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:49 pm

For those of you who have stayed at the Westin, would you say any room at the "Royal Beach Club" is more perferable to any room in the main building? (Considering amenities, location, view, etc etc).

I am SPG Gold and see plenty of availability for Royal Beach club rooms during my stay (which is in a week). Should I expect that upgrade as a Gold? Would it be considered rude to call the night before and specifically ask for it?
Some of the Deluxe Sea View rooms are pretty good, certainly the one we had was great. Not sure on amenities vs Beach Club. It wasn't worth the Royal beach club for us as we got breakfast included on our rate and weren't around in the day to make use of the lounge facilities. From what I was told at check-in, they try to upgrade all Gold and Plat guests to Royal Beach Club should there be availability. However, usual caveats apply - if you don't mind getting a lagoon view room or a deluxe sea view, then book those and hope for an upgrade.

Enjoy your stay.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:18 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun [Master Thread]

I received this offer in the mail from Starwood.

(I'm SPG Goldl...probably only because of CO Plat Status.
I've stayed at 2 Starwood properties in the last two years.)

Four nights for $349 (plus tax).
Receive a $100 resort cerficate fo 7000 SPG pts.

Purchase by 19-Nov-07 for use 1-Feb through 12-Nov-08.
Availability limited.

The offer was very explicit that it was only for the person named on the invitation.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
Time share offer I would guess. I have not stayed at the Westin Cancun
since it was rebulit but I liked it fine before. I would say go and have a
great time. Cancun is always fun! If only the airfare hadn't gotten so
expensive to Mexico! Just a few years ago I could do a R/T from CRP-
CUN for $300 including taxes, now its always over $500.00!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Timeshare - maybe.

But there's nothing in the offer's fine print re having to sit through a sales presentation.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Definitely take advantage of it. ^ It's a great offer.

I'm a big fan of this hotel. The staff is amazingly friendly, and it's a little smaller and more secluded than the mega-resorts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.