Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am amazed at people doing MRs!!

Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: blah blah..

I am home for the night, back home in Nashville, after flying in from the SF Bay area via Denver.

With a few slow weeks of work, today's flight was probably somewhere between 130-140th flight this year. I am about to shoot past 150K EQMs this week, for the year.

I am so tired of flying, particularly the connections. Hate the lay overs, even if its under an hour. Prefer direct flights..

I wonder how people do the MRs, doing 10-13 segments in a day or two..I am amazed!
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:19 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by guywhowonders
I am home for the night, back home in Nashville, after flying in from the SF Bay area via Denver.

With a few slow weeks of work, today's flight was probably somewhere between 130-140th flight this year. I am about to shoot past 150K EQMs this week, for the year.

I am so tired of flying, particularly the connections. Hate the lay overs, even if its under an hour. Prefer direct flights..

I wonder how people do the MRs, doing 10-13 segments in a day or two..I am amazed!

Love to fly, love to collect miles, and have done some MR's that have baffled my family, but I know the feeling. Not tiring of flying so much, but of the non-airtime flying. I am wondering more these days how fly non-stop more, even if my collecting miles is from fewer non stops. Being on the planes I don't mind! I think the MR folks are not doing 150K/year already, but I am sure you will hear from them. Welcome home.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I can see where you're coming from .. if you fly often ie. for business.

I'm a leisure traveler who enjoy the benefit of F u/g, elite security line, etc.

I've done an MR once - flew FLL-DTW-MSP-LAX-SAN-LAX-DTW-FLL - 7200 for about $150 a.i .. sat in F most of the way
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if you fly 150 flights and maybe 180k BIS miles, you quite frankly don't need to do MRs.

On the other hand, I haven't made any long-haul trips this year, and generally not travelled as much as I should, and I count 22 segments and 21k EQMs (with probably 17k Bum In Seat miles) to my name, meaning I need another 8 segments to just renew my status.
I need to travel once more by the end of the year. Skyteam doesn't have a direct flight on the route I need to take, so that means I would get zero useful miles for my flights.
Or I could make a connection and get 4 segments and a few drinks at the lounges in the process!
At the end of this, I would be still 4 segments short. So I'll have to do another trip - effectively a little MR- to retain my status.
I will fly more next year, hence I want the status for the extra miles bonus, and because I really value the lounge access.
Now, I was only 8 segments short of the desired status to begin with.
Other people have higher targets to hit!
Unless somebody wants the last few miles to get an elusive award, or there is a "uniquely" cheap mistake fare, MRs are done for status and not miles.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:31 am
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Love to fly, love to collect miles, and have done some MR's that have baffled my family, but I know the feeling. Not tiring of flying so much, but of the non-airtime flying. I am wondering more these days how fly non-stop more, even if my collecting miles is from fewer non stops. Being on the planes I don't mind! I think the MR folks are not doing 150K/year already, but I am sure you will hear from them. Welcome home.
Airline club memberships certainly make MR layovers a lot easier to take. I love the flying, especially in F, but without the WCs, PCs, CRCs, BRs my MRs wouldn't be nearly as pleasant.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:16 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
I do it to top off status, and because I actually do love to fly. If I flew 150K+ BIS miles, I bet I'd never want to do an MR but since I only do 50-75k BIS miles, it's still somewhat fun to be able to pick and choose my own itinerary once in a while.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Ive done some great ones, and so far I've been upgraded over 95% of the time. (100% on US Airways). One run I did CAE-CLT-DCA-PHX-SAN-PHX-LAS-PHL-CLT-CAE, another I did LAX-PHX-BWI-PHX-SAN-LAS-BWI. I absolutely love to fly and riding up front doesn't hurt either. I have definitely gotten some strange reactions from various people

My true friends understand once I upgrade 2-3 of them to F without using miles or certs.

One friend sent me a message after a trip to CUN. He said "uva185 you would be proud of us, we flew CUN-MEX-IAH-ATL-BWI on the way back". I got a kick out of that but in actuality I was not proud because he was on a non mileage earning fare basis nor did he attempt to credit those miles to an account. One step at a time I guess

Last edited by uva185; Nov 9, 2007 at 1:55 am
Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I remember when I did my first "mileage run" where I had my parents by the tickets for our vacation by adding several segments for no extra cost. I knew nothing about frequent flier miles, I just liked flying
Old Nov 9, 2007, 4:27 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
I don't exactly do mileage runs (already fly too much as it is) but will try to take the most complicated routing available to increase miles earned at the same cost...
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO

You're amazed? You get your travel paid for by work. You get to fly for free and enough that you don't need to do them. That's great. But don't come on here and say how you can't understand it when you are not in close to the same situation as most mileage runners
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I used to do a lot of travel for work, but now my travel for work consists of traveling to Chattanooga or Raleigh. I've got 170K EQM this year with the bulk from MRs. I love flying and use it as time to catch up on other stuff (it's great to get work done without the phone ringing and people stopping by).

I've got four already scheduled for next year to make sure I maintain status. There are folks here at work that are amazed that I do this kind of stuff, but when I'm riding up front with them (thanks to my UG instruments) they don't seem to think I'm so crazy.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I used to do a lot of travel for work, but now my travel for work consists of traveling to Chattanooga or Raleigh. I've got 170K EQM this year with the bulk from MRs. I love flying and use it as time to catch up on other stuff (it's great to get work done without the phone ringing and people stopping by).

I've got four already scheduled for next year to make sure I maintain status. There are folks here at work that are amazed that I do this kind of stuff, but when I'm riding up front with them (thanks to my UG instruments) they don't seem to think I'm so crazy.
Most of the people that do MRs do so because they want to go to the next quantum level of elite status and to them it's worth the investment of a little time and money. They don't do them for the fun of it.

I do try to have fun destinations for mine -- like to away games for a certain football team that has a blue and gold color scheme and wears a winged helmet and draws over 100,000 people to their home games.

Bob H
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Smile

Originally Posted by BobH
Most of the people that do MRs do so because they want to go to the next quantum level of elite status and to them it's worth the investment of a little time and money. They don't do them for the fun of it.

I do try to have fun destinations for mine -- like to away games for a certain football team that has a blue and gold color scheme and wears a winged helmet and draws over 100,000 people to their home games.

Bob H
I prefer that other football team that has a blue and gold color scheme, a winged, helmet, draws 22K to home games... and PLAYS for a National Championship.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: NW, AA
I have never done a 'mileage run' per se but will probably do one this year since..

I just miseds SE on NWA (22-24K miles and 26-28 RTs on average) for the past few years.

Lots of short hops so for me it makes sense to make a 'vegas run' this year.

I'm just happy to board first yet alone get an upgrade.

Jayson
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29

Smells like a troll, looks like a troll... I bet it's a troll.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.