Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When your seatmate has bad breath and won't take a mint from you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When your seatmate has bad breath and won't take a mint from you?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Angry When your seatmate has bad breath and won't take a mint from you?

I recently experienced this on my home from Texas and it was a nightmare!

I did everything I could to just avoid saying, dude, your breath is really bad, will you please take this mint. Sometimes I feel like I can still smell it.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Sounds like it was an incredibly offensive odor.

Really, I would feel incredibly rude for telling people their breath is bad. That's me
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:10 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Sounds like it was an incredibly offensive odor.

Really, I would feel incredibly rude for telling people their breath is bad. That's me
Yep -- it's incredibly rude, but also probably one of the best favors you can do that person. If nobody tells him he might never realize (until it's way too late).

HTB.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:30 pm

I turn my overhead vent on full and when they are not looking, turn it toward them. This keeps the offensive odors confined to their immediate environs.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL GE
Pack a small vicks, when an offending oder of any kind appears, rub some under your nose. They'll just think your having a hard time breathing and all you'll smell is a giant mint.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pragakhan
Pack a small vicks, when an offending oder of any kind appears, rub some under your nose. They'll just think your having a hard time breathing and all you'll smell is a giant mint.
I'm certainly not carrying Vicks on the off chance I get a seatmate with bad breath who insists on breathing heavily in my direction. Bad breath is common in general, so get a strong beverage and hold it close to your mouth. You'll enjoy the flight after a couple, and possibly be a bit more loose-tongued after to tell them how bad they smell. By then, you won't care about how abrasive it sounds.

Better yet, buy them a drink (as long as you're not in F). The alcohol kills that in a heartbeat.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by mmartin4600
I turn my overhead vent on full and when they are not looking, turn it toward them. This keeps the offensive odors confined to their immediate environs.
^ This is my defense for offensive odors. You don't necessarily need to wait until they aren't looking. You can usually find a way to point it such that it creates an air curtain without actually blowing on your seatmate... keeps their air in their space and your air in your space, just like those heavy-duty air curtains you see at gas station and grocery store entrances from time-to-time.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by mmartin4600
This is what I do as well, not just with bad breath folks, but also those that obviously smoke and then don't bother to wash their hands. I also always try and get a window seat so I can then lean over and try and breathe in the air that sometimes comes down the wall vent.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I would punch them in the face.

Ok, just kidding.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
This is really simple: "Excuse me, no offense, but I suspect you've had a long day, and goodness knows I've been there myself: Please allow me to offer you a mint. Thank you." I've never had this declined and the recipient has always, inded, been grateful.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I would take out my listerine pocket pack, take one and ask them if they have tried these yet. I would tell them how much I like them and that they REALLY work well.

In defense of the bad breath guy, my breath is no picnic after flying for eight hours either. I just about OD on the breath mints though.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oneant
I'm certainly not carrying Vicks on the off chance I get a seatmate with bad breath who insists on breathing heavily in my direction. Bad breath is common in general, so get a strong beverage and hold it close to your mouth. You'll enjoy the flight after a couple, and possibly be a bit more loose-tongued after to tell them how bad they smell. By then, you won't care about how abrasive it sounds.

Better yet, buy them a drink (as long as you're not in F). The alcohol kills that in a heartbeat.
I really like the strong drink idea. Thanks....
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
there's another way to handle this...offer mints to your seatmate and say "do you need a mint?"

when seatmate says 'no,' smile apologetically while keeping mints extended and say "actually, you do."

Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:11 pm
Suspended

I'll take a shot in the dark and say that telling him instead of sitting there and smelling his breath the whole time might be a smart idea. ^
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:34 am

Nothing worse than a mephitic seatmate..

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mephitic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.