Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

IAD Prem Pax Security Line: wives and kids only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P

My partner and I have used the "Premium Passenger Security Line" at least a dozen times since it was instituted. It's a life saver, as I bet many on FT know. If I had to use the regular line, I'd do anything to avoid Dulles (heck, I'm almost there now, even with the shorter line!).

Anyway, on a flight last week in which we were both in Y , I went through the initial 'can you use this line' checkpoint, flashing my 1p card, with no problem. When my partner (who has no status, poor guy) came behind me, I said 'he's traveling with me,' as I've done many times before, expecting him to be waved through. This time however, the Lord of the Premium Security Line, said "No! Wives and children only." I'll spare you the argument that ensued. Basically, we stayed calm, remained insistent and demanded to see a supervisor before we'd budge. Eventually, he gave in, shoving my partner's boarding pass at him without further comment.

We're returning to Dulles this Monday. I'm thinking of seeking out 'someone in authority' over these people to discuss this situation. Yes, we got through eventually, but I really, really don't want to confront this situation on some future flight with much tighter time issues. (and of course, as a community service to all my FT friends out there!

I've searched the IAD website and FT for anything 'official' on who can use this line, but haven't found a thing. Do any FT'ers know if there's an official policy? Any advice on who at IAD I should talk to? (I know, for instance, that these folks don't work for TSA, but for the airlines). On the Dulles 'contact us' page, there's no logical entity listed to bring this up with.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I always thought that one was allowed a travelling companion through Security. A few times I've accompanied a 1K colleague through Security in Seattle, and they seemed to feel that it was a standard thing... we just handed the BPs together.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: UA, US, IB. Low man on the totem pole again.
I am assuming that the reference to your "partner" is your same-sex partner so my reply will be based upon that assumption...

When I an confronted with the situation that you are in I refer to my partner as my spouse or my husband. Although it might throw off some narrow minded people, it generally gets the point across. (That being said, we are getting married today in YVR so when I refer to him as my spouse and/or husband from now on, it will be the actual truth!!!).
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: * A
I have had no problems taking my gf, co-worker, friend, family as long as I am taking one companion through the premium line. May be the agent at IAD had a bad day that day. well, good luck on your next trip(s)!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sardcft
My partner and I have used the "Premium Passenger Security Line" at least a dozen times since it was instituted. It's a life saver, as I bet many on FT know. If I had to use the regular line, I'd do anything to avoid Dulles (heck, I'm almost there now, even with the shorter line!).

Anyway, on a flight last week in which we were both in Y , I went through the initial 'can you use this line' checkpoint, flashing my 1p card, with no problem. When my partner (who has no status, poor guy) came behind me, I said 'he's traveling with me,' as I've done many times before, expecting him to be waved through. This time however, the Lord of the Premium Security Line, said "No! Wives and children only." I'll spare you the argument that ensued. Basically, we stayed calm, remained insistent and demanded to see a supervisor before we'd budge. Eventually, he gave in, shoving my partner's boarding pass at him without further comment.

We're returning to Dulles this Monday. I'm thinking of seeking out 'someone in authority' over these people to discuss this situation. Yes, we got through eventually, but I really, really don't want to confront this situation on some future flight with much tighter time issues. (and of course, as a community service to all my FT friends out there!

I've searched the IAD website and FT for anything 'official' on who can use this line, but haven't found a thing. Do any FT'ers know if there's an official policy? Any advice on who at IAD I should talk to? (I know, for instance, that these folks don't work for TSA, but for the airlines). On the Dulles 'contact us' page, there's no logical entity listed to bring this up with.
Sounds like an agent with an agenda. A letter is most certainly in order, though I don't know if it should go to UA or the authority that runs Dulles.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by joshua-bwi
That being said, we are getting married today in YVR so when I refer to him as my spouse and/or husband from now on, it will be the actual truth!!!.
Congratulations!!!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rjque
Sounds like an agent with an agenda. A letter is most certainly in order, though I don't know if it should go to UA or the authority that runs Dulles.
Since the Premium Passenger screening at IAD is labeled just that, with no branding elements of any airline, I'd definitely aim it at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) which runs both DCA and IAD. Perhaps UA could influence MWAA, but they aren't responsible or in direct control of this situation.

Good luck, that was a messed up situation. I fly with my dad out of IAD a couple times a year, he has no status. I would go ballistic if I was told "wife and kids only!" - well, I'm HIS kid but I'm the one with status lol
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM - AA 1.6MM UA 1.2MM - Recovering UA UGS and AA CK - Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, SPG LTP
Took my brother with me 11/5 with no issue... Must have been an agent not in their "happy place."
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:55 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
I find that the "premium/elite pax" line at most any airport is rather flexible. I suspect that the "rules" are whatever they say they are. For example, at LAS the line says "First Class" (when it's marked at all). I say BS and use it anyway. I've never been turned away. At FRA I use the "Business" line (because I'm entitled to use Business check-in). And again, I've never been turned away.

I think the best advice is to use the Cesar Milan act-like-the-pack-leader approach.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I always thought that one was allowed a travelling companion through Security. A few times I've accompanied a 1K colleague through Security in Seattle, and they seemed to feel that it was a standard thing... we just handed the BPs together.
Like many things with the TSA they seem to make up the rules as they go along.

A little OT but I recently had my computer bag completely emptied (literally every item in the bag) when going through security in the International Terminal at SFO. My offense? Having something with a 9 volt battery in my bag. The agent told me this was SOP and that I'd experience the same thing each time I went through security unless I got rid of the item. Of course he couldn't explain why I hadn't had the problem in my prior 100 times through security. And for what its worth, I still have the object and haven't a problem since, even at SFO.

Go figure.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
For once, don't blame TSA

Originally Posted by danville 1K
Like many things with the TSA they seem to make up the rules as they go along.
The entry guards for the premium security lines aren't TSA, nor UA, nor any airlines. They are generic airport employees (used to be Wagonhut {sp?}) at Dulles, but the contract might have changed.

If you want to complain to someone, it should be the airport authority.

BTW, I've never had a travelling companion (usually other males...so no assumption of spousehood) blocked at Dulles when I've told the gate guard that we were travelling together.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by danville 1K
The agent told me this was SOP
Screenings at SFO are done by a privately contracted company. They always make up their own rules, like during the time when they were the only airport in the country forcing people to remove shoes (even though TSA said they couldn't do that).
Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Screenings at SFO are done by a privately contracted company. They always make up their own rules, like during the time when they were the only airport in the country forcing people to remove shoes (even though TSA said they couldn't do that).
I fly out of SFO very frequently. When did they cease the policy of shoe removal? As of 10/27 they had not.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayhawk
I fly out of SFO very frequently. When did they cease the policy of shoe removal? As of 10/27 they had not.
They never ceased the policy of shoe removal.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Since this thread deals with the security line, not the check-in line, I am going to move this to Travel Safety/Security where the usual suspects can weigh in.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.