GONE: Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

Old Dec 3, 2003, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Arrow GONE: Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

Any information on how the Sheraton Plaza Jerusalem treats SPG Platinum members?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 3:43 pm
Suspended

stayed this past summer for 3 nights on an award stay. They uped me to the 19th floor(Club Level- that does NOT have a Club). facing the old city if you stood on an angle and it had a small balcony. Didnt ask for a suite so I dont know if I would have gotten it.

The room was small as are most rooms in the country/europe. Keep in mind theres no pool/ hot-tub/ gym/ at this place its gonna be basically a room. parking is $5 a aday. This is why I stay at either the Renaissance since it has all of the above (the rooms at the plaza are more plush. But Davids Citadel is new (was a Hilton) has EVERYTHING but isnt with any hotel chain, or The King David
would be the way to go if extras are what you want. Thers also a Grand Hyatt butthats really out of the way worse than The Renassiance.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 5:34 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Two stays in the summer as a Plat. Remarkably little recognition. They don't even do the 500 amenity points (they are exempt).
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:16 am
Suspended

keep in mind that ALL European *woods dont give the 500 pts. Somewhere William posted it that its in the US/Canada I think maybe Mex and Central Am also but dont hold me to the last 2. So its NOT that the Plaza is exempt alone.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Sheraton Jerusalem [Master Thread]

I'm spending 10 days in Israel next summer -- mostly in Jerusalem (maybe an overnighter up north, but I'd keep the J'lem hotel room for convenience). I've read all the threads from the past 6 months that discuss the Sheraton Jerusalem Plaza, so I've seen lots of opinions.

Here's my question for comments from the board:

Travelling with a 9 year old kid, would you recommend taking 2 rooms with a connecting door (4,000 *points/night) or a suite where he sleeps on a sofa in the living room (6,000 *points/night)?

My son's comfort is NOT the question. I'm really wondering whether anyone knows first-hand about the suites at this property, how much space they provide, etc. Our real priority is for my wife and me to be able to put a closed door between us and our kid (yes, sometimes even just to read and watch television! ) but I guess it's possible that we might have people visit us in the hotel -- wondering whether the suite allows "entertaining"?

TIA.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CO FF
I'm spending 10 days in Israel next summer -- mostly in Jerusalem (maybe an overnighter up north, but I'd keep the J'lem hotel room for convenience). I've read all the threads from the past 6 months that discuss the Sheraton Jerusalem Plaza, so I've seen lots of opinions.

Here's my question for comments from the board:

Travelling with a 9 year old kid, would you recommend taking 2 rooms with a connecting door (4,000 *points/night) or a suite where he sleeps on a sofa in the living room (6,000 *points/night)?

My son's comfort is NOT the question. I'm really wondering whether anyone knows first-hand about the suites at this property, how much space they provide, etc. Our real priority is for my wife and me to be able to put a closed door between us and our kid (yes, sometimes even just to read and watch television! ) but I guess it's possible that we might have people visit us in the hotel -- wondering whether the suite allows "entertaining"?

TIA.

I don't know about the suites but the rooms are small.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:09 pm
Suspended

the 4000 pts for 2 rooms will only be for weekend nights at this hotel that means Fri/sat nights. Otherwise its 3000 per room or 6000 for 2.

I saw a suite didnt stay in it had a maid show it to me. It was at the end of the hallway a left turn off the el on the SPG floor. The one on the left was privately owned as are most. The one on the left wasnt. There was a bedroom that had a reg door to it , so Id assume you could lock it. The main room I remeber some sort of kitchenete area, living room and dining table. Not bad. Would take it as an up but I would pay $$$ for it. They are suppose to have a Presidental suite on the top floor along with other type of suites. I never saw them for myself.
keep in mind that there is NO FREE Breakfast on an award stay its 100 Shekels around $25 per person. But right around the corner is a SuperSol (supermkt) where you can get everything you need. theres a fridge in the room as well- mini bar I emptied it and used it, then replaced the items beforeI left. someone told me its now a newer type where you are charged once its removed- no confirmation of that thou.
the rooms are small as they are in Europe but a roll away can be put in as friends have done but that will take away any of your privacy. Im usually alone while there and find the rooms OK for just me alone. Alot of people I know have the roll away brought in. i guess ii depends on the # of pts you wish to use or have.
also there isnt any lounge where you can get free drinks or snacks or use a computer. his hotel has an outdoor pool and thats about it. i usually stay on the other side of town away from it all at the Renaissance since its usually less than $100 a night with Bkfst while the Sher is around $160. The Ren has an indoor/outdoor pools /ot tub/ sauna/ steam room. sort of a gym old stuff but it works.free parking The Sher is $5 a day. plus to friends homes where I need to walk to a couple of times during my stay its over an hour to the Sher.
The best hotel is Davids Citadal (previous Hilton) a real 6 star or the King David.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 6:28 am

I am very familiar with the Sheraton Jerusalem Hotel. The suites are not very nice. Most of them are old, with old furniture. The Hotel does have some newer rooms on the 11th 13th and 15th floors. However, these rooms do not have redone bathrooms. The hotel has recently put up signs that they are going be under renovation in the near future, but who knows.

As was suggested before, the David Citadel Hotel around the block is the nicest in the area. 5 star+

Enjoy
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:17 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
am arriving into TLV after 11pm, what types of transportation are available to the Sheraton Jerusalem? Taxi, shared taxi and ? Approx cost?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:12 am
Suspended

private taxi appx $40 its a flat rate. Sherut is appx $9 in shekels $10 in USD also a flt rate, it wont go till it has its 7-8 passengers. Then as for dropping off the people the driver will hear where everyone is going and then decide which gets dropped off according to where he wants to end up.
If you are 2 or more take the private taxi and save the time. When I use to go and wasnt renting a car Id 1st stop by the sherut area which was next to the taxi area and wait up til 10-15 mins for it to fill if it did I went (usually after a flight it takes 5 mins max0 if it didnt I walked over to the reg taxis.
With the new term opened I cant even begin to direct you where to go as I havent been there since the new term opened up. A friend who just got back found it a hassle to find the rental car drop off at the new term so he returned it at the old term location and took the shuttle back to the term.
Again the above rates might and probably have changed since I was last there in Oct as gas prices went up in accordance with the price of oil so I imagine that the taxi/sherut rates went up as well. Its Govt controlled the rates. Under either way never ask the driver but ask the dispatcher, or ask a couple of drivers not next to each other to be sure you arent being ripped off as in Every other country or airport.
Best of all ENJOY

Last edited by craz; Dec 19, 2004 at 10:15 am
Old Dec 20, 2004, 2:15 pm

thanks craz ^
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by craz
private taxi appx $40 its a flat rate. Sherut is appx $9 in shekels $10 in USD also a flt rate, it wont go till it has its 7-8 passengers. Then as for dropping off the people the driver will hear where everyone is going and then decide which gets dropped off according to where he wants to end up.
If you are 2 or more take the private taxi and save the time. When I use to go and wasnt renting a car Id 1st stop by the sherut area which was next to the taxi area and wait up til 10-15 mins for it to fill if it did I went (usually after a flight it takes 5 mins max0 if it didnt I walked over to the reg taxis.
With the new term opened I cant even begin to direct you where to go as I havent been there since the new term opened up. A friend who just got back found it a hassle to find the rental car drop off at the new term so he returned it at the old term location and took the shuttle back to the term.
Again the above rates might and probably have changed since I was last there in Oct as gas prices went up in accordance with the price of oil so I imagine that the taxi/sherut rates went up as well. Its Govt controlled the rates. Under either way never ask the driver but ask the dispatcher, or ask a couple of drivers not next to each other to be sure you arent being ripped off as in Every other country or airport.
Best of all ENJOY
does anyone know how the bus service is from tlv to jerusalem ? how many shekels is it ? how frequent is the service ? is it direct or does the bus make stops ?
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:06 am
Suspended

Mr TM, when you asked from "tlv to Jerusalem" if you meant from the airport, yes there is one. Dont know the timing but Id go with the shared taxi= sherut if it was me that will set you back bet $9-10 for a one way trip and it will drop you off at your destination. Taking the bus to the Central Bus Station and then another will to get close to your destination will require that you Exit the Station and then depending where you are going, having to navigate the underground passageway and a bit of a walk. Or you might get real lucky and your local bus will be able to be boarded in front of the Station its a 50/50 chance.
Now in no way would I want to try and get aboard a local bus with even a backpack especially if you dont look an Israeli, let alone a suitcase or 2.
If you were talking about the city of (tlv) and not the airport. Then there are buses that go non-stop almost every few minutes, I believe its still the '405'. cost I havent done it in maybe 25 yrs so I cant help ya there.
The Sherut from/to TLV is one pf the best deals in the country. A local taxi ride can cost almost as much for far less the distance.

Coming to think of it the #4 bus should get ya to the Plaza from the Bus station. The #4 will require that you take that passageway and a nice walk at that- with stairs (alot) on both ends. There are others that pass by the Hotel but thats on its way back to the BS, cant recall any other #s that can get ya there from the BS. The #4 that stops in front of the BS is going in the wrong direction. Most local buses do NOT start and end at the BS, its usually in the middle of its routing.

Last edited by craz; Dec 30, 2004 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by craz
stayed this past summer for 3 nights on an award stay. They uped me to the 19th floor(Club Level- that does NOT have a Club). facing the old city if you stood on an angle and it had a small balcony. Didnt ask for a suite so I dont know if I would have gotten it.

The room was small as are most rooms in the country/europe. Keep in mind theres no pool/ hot-tub/ gym/ at this place its gonna be basically a room.
Same "upgrade" experience as craz on a three day award stay a week ago.

There is an outdoor pool but closed at this time of year.

Breakfast spread was very good, just missing that bacon!

Within walking distance to the old city but it is not an easy walk as Jerusalem is quite hilly.

Also within walking distance of the restaurants/bars in the Ben Yahuda(sp?) area.

Cab ride at midnight from TLV to Sheraton Jerusalem was $55, cab ride in afternoon from Sheraton Jerusalem to TLV was $42.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM MM, Airtain Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz President's Circle
Keep in mind...

I'm surprised no one ever mentions that this hotel is "Glatt Kosher." If you're not famaliar with the customs of Orthodox Judaism, you might find a stay over the weekend to be a confusing and awkward experience. With the downturn in tourism in Israel, this property has focused on marketing to the in-Israel ultra-Orthodox crowd and their requirements.

This hotel could care less about your SPG status and struggles to meet the needs of business travelers...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.