Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Comrade Hawley on the Congressional Hot Seat Again

Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Clarion Ledger Article

"Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security Kip Hawley faced tough questions this morning from members of the House Homeland Security Committee about an e-mail from a top Transportation Security Administration official that appears to provide advanced warning of undercover investigators sent to test airport security.

Hawley was called to testify before the full committee in Washington after The Clarion-Ledger obtained the e-mail last month. Mark Restovich, TSA assistant administrator for the Office of Security Operations, apparently sent the e-mail to airport security chiefs across the country giving specific details of an upcoming security test."

Fry him!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:47 pm

He better hear the words "You're fired" at the end of the hearing or heads will roll come next election.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by stupidhead
He better hear the words "You're fired" at the end of the hearing or heads will roll come next election.
I'm sure we'd be more likely to hear "You're doing a good job, Kippie."
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:53 pm

And you guys got all of your facts WHERE? Jeesh, let the investigation play out before putting the rope around his neck.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TSAJohn
And you guys got all of your facts WHERE? Jeesh, let the investigation play out before putting the rope around his neck.
This investigation is just the latest in a long series of noose-worthy malfeasance by Comrade Hawley.

Fry him!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by TSAJohn
I think there's plenty out there to hang him with without this.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hearing Info from House.gov

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 @ 10am
311 Cannon House Office Building

Cover Blown Did TSA Tip Off Airport Screeners about Covert Testing?

Full Committee

Witnesses (invited): Hon. Edmond S. Kip Hawley, Administrator, Transportation Security Administration, Department of Homeland Security; Gregory Kutz, Managing Director, Office of Forensic Audits and Special Investigations, Government Accountability Office; Clark Kent Ervin, Director, Homeland Security Initiative, Aspen Institute

There will be a webcast of this hearing.
Clark Kent Irvin is the former DHS IG that Chertoff fired. Irvin was one of the best IGs in government and was highly respected. The House obviously still respects him.

I was hoping there would be an archived webcast, but this committee only shows live webcasts. maybe it's on Youtube?

I looked at the letter and the attached email. The "to" line would indicate that it went to the senior TSA staffs at every airport. The "cc" line tells me that it went to every airline security gonk at every airport and every airline.

What doesn't make sense is the allegation that it's the DOT and FAA conducting the penetration tests. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that DHS now performs these tests in "this post-9/11 world." Part of me says "bogus email." If the intent was to notify the very senior people at airports, this could have easily been done through a secure email system using a message classified until the test had ended. Broadcasting to the entire airport security world is unprofessional, irresponsible, or a fake. If it was a fake, Kippie could have notified the committee via classified communication and that would have been the end of it.

Something's not right about this...

There should be a transcript of the hearing posted in a day or two. Perhaps C-Span will broadcast the hearing later on tonight?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Sorry I put this in another thread...

Democratic lawmakers were openly incredulous of Hawley's contention.

The hearing was unusually combative. Witnesses tried to talk over each other. TSA staff wrote anxious notes to Hawley as he underwent questioning, urging him to "Change subject!" And Democrats questioned Hawley's defense of his agency's integrity.

"You can't be seriously saying what this individual did was not a breach of integrity," said Rep. Norman Dicks (D-Wash.), referring to the employee who sent the e-mail.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...la-home-center
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Question

"There was no intent to tip off, there was no cheating," insisted TSA chief Kip Hawley, who said that TSA officials sent the e-mail not to tip off screeners, but because they thought the tests might really be an Al Qaeda operation.
Huh ?

"Integrity is at the center of everything we do" - Hawley.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:24 pm

Short video of Edmund "S is for Scumbag" Hawley squirming before our elected representatives on the above linked LA Times webpage.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

"Our government cannot play on our fears of an attack and then try to cheat its way through its mid-term exams," Thompson said. "Covert testers are there trying to expose gaps before a terrorist does, and if someone at TSA undermines this testing, they are undermining aviation security as a whole."

Conclusion: Shut this disgrace of an agency down permanently and severely punish its incompetent "leaders" like Comrade Hawley!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:27 pm

Another video of Edmund "S is for sleazebag" being himself infront of our representives in Congress. (From three weeks or more ago)

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757195
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
"Our government cannot play on our fears...."
Bennie hit this nail on the head and I wish he and the rest of the committee would focus on that statement rather than the cheating screeners. He's as much as said that it's all a game.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

insisted TSA chief Kip Hawley, who said that TSA officials sent the e-mail not to tip off screeners, but because they thought the tests might really be an Al Qaeda operation.

He can't even lie credibly.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
I'm sure we'd be more likely to hear "You're doing a good job, Kippie."
Had I been the chair of this committee, I would have said, "Good isn't good enough. I won't accept anything short of excellent. You're still fired."

Since he's getting paid six figures to do the job:

Bad-firing offense
Mediocre-firing offense
Good-firing offense
Great-firing offense/marginally unacceptable
Excellent-marginally acceptable
Phenomenal-acceptable

You demand excellence from CEOs as shareholders of that corporations, you should demand the same if not more excellence from your government as "shareholders" of your government.

There's a reason he's working for TSA with A JD from the University of Virginia, you know, while the people he graduated with are corporate CEOs, law firm partners and federal judges. He isn't the smartest tool in the shed, and that's being nice.

Last edited by stupidhead; Nov 14, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.