Search

New York JFK Airport Overnight Layover: Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat
New York JFK Airport Overnight Layover: Advice Please

Hi Collective Wisdom:

Have an awful layover at JFK 20-21 December.

Arrive JFK (from LHR) AA141 @ 10:55PM 20 December
Leave JFK (to YYZ) AA 4774 @ 7:50AM 21 December

In general I know 21 December is going to suck. Goal is to get the suckage down to a minimum .

This will be my first visit to JFK so I am absolutely ignorant of my options. This state of affairs seems tailor made for one of those rent-a-cubicle-by-the-hour micro-hotel things: is there such a thing at JFK? Any recommendations for cheapish nearby hotels/motels?

Any and all words of wisdom most heartily appreciated.

Cheers and Happy Turkey Week to all Turkey Week Celebrants!
DocD
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:11 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
I found the following information .. http://www.jfk-new-york.com/hotels.html on close by hotels.

There seems to be no micro-hotel (ala the UK Yotel concept) so your bet is to get a real (tho horrible) hotel in the area.

I have stayed at the Ramada (forced by airline messup) and it was medicore. At that time of night I am not certain I would like the shuttle . .a cab may of may not go that short distance.

Considering you will probably hit the 'street' (after Immigration and baggage and Customs) very close to midnight .. and probably need to catch the 6am shuttle back to JFK .. you might want to look at a later JFK-YYZ flight.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Thanks for the useful info, JGR01:

Had thought about the later flight idea but the ultimate goal is to get my butt to YXU (London, Ont) via bus from YYZ and then to the grad club at UWO for a traditional end-of-term happy hour Friday afternoon with my old professors and friends.

Cheers and thanks,
DocD
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Holiday Inn (Jamaica NY iirc) is a good bet - standardized, a major crew rest stop, so many shuttles at all hours. Hilton Garden Inn and DoubeTree are good brands I am familiar with.

The Holiday Inn happens to share a fenced compound with, iirc, the Hampton Inn? Iirc, I stayed at the Hampton once and took meals in the Holiday Inn and their shuttle back to the airport. You may want to check addresses - so one could take the HI shuttle and stay at the Hampton... and there are closer hotels, but some of them can be exceedingly dumpy. (I think I RON at a Holiday Inn Express I felt I should prop the chair under the door handle, and wishes I'd have had a firearm accessible just in case...

For travellers living on US Dollars, JFK area can be surprisingly expensive.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 18, 2007 at 10:59 am Reason: add bits
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:15 am

Keep in mind the area surrounding JFK is not the best--by any stretch of the imagnination. That being said, you can find decent accommodations (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden Inn etc.) and pricier (Holiday In & Doubletree) nearby. All you need to do is take the AirTrain to the Federal Circle stop and catch a shuttle bus to the hotel. The process should take 20 minutes.

The morning of the 21st will be busy, but not as bad as later in the day. If you get at JFK at 6:30 am, you'll have no problem.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OK, this thread is semi-AA related due to arriving and departing AA flights, and has been allowed to stay briefly on the AA Forum. It will now take the shuttle to the NYC Forum. Thank you for your participation!

Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:28 am

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
I've had the near identical layover a couple of times on the way to SFO, but it's been a Saturday. I suspect I may be an edge case, but I just went out downtown. If that wasn't a mad suggestion for a random Saturday - it may be for the thursday before xmas.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
[QUOTE=DocD;8749470]Hi Collective Wisdom:

Have an awful layover at JFK 20-21 December.

Arrive JFK (from LHR) AA141 @ 10:55PM 20 December
Leave JFK (to YYZ) AA 4774 @ 7:50AM 21 December

In general I know 21 December is going to suck. Goal is to get the suckage down to a minimum .

This will be my first visit to JFK so I am absolutely ignorant of my options. This state of affairs seems tailor made for one of those rent-a-cubicle-by-the-hour micro-hotel things: is there such a thing at JFK? Any recommendations for cheapish nearby hotels/motels?

Any and all words of wisdom most heartily appreciated.

Since you would not clear customs to about midnight and would need to recheck in around 6AM, and if you want to save $$, hunker down for a few hours in a quiet part of Term 8. With a hotel, you are probably looking at maybe at best 5 to 6 hours of sleep . And if your LHR/JFK flight is late, even less.

At 6AM (I am assuming that since you are AA PLT you would have AC access on international travel), go to the AC, shower and change. Hopefully, when you arrive at your final destination you would have the opportunity to proper sleeping arrangements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.