Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Tiger Airways not accepting US based credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus

Hello all,

I was trying to buy a RT ticket on Tiger Airways. Went thru the whole process including the page before CC confirmation-it offers to charge in one's country currency (USA); hit the purchase button and came back twice rejected.

Can anybody offer a solution? Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:36 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by htwild1
Welcome to FlyerTalk htwild1 !

Hopefully someone will offer some ideas for you. There have been some recent discussions about US credit cards not being accepted by Asian LCCs. It's been a couple of years, but I sucessfully used my Credit Union VISA check card for AirAsia and Jet*Asia.

Not sure if it works for other airlines, or it only worked a couple of years ago, but it may be that the regular bank CCs just don't work too well.

EmailKid
Old Nov 27, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA
have you signed up for verified by visa/mastercard secure? If not and you are prompted you will be declined. Quite a few people were effected by this earlier in the year.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
So, now one of us knows how it feels to show up in the US w/ a foreign credit card and have it turned down all over the place.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer
have you signed up for verified by visa/mastercard secure? If not and you are prompted you will be declined. Quite a few people were effected by this earlier in the year.
Thank you, that's good to know as I'm planning to use Tiger next year. Here's the link on TR site if anybody is looking.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Hello all,

I was trying to buy a RT ticket on Tiger Airways. Went thru the whole process including the page before CC confirmation-it offers to charge in one's country currency (USA); hit the purchase button and came back twice rejected.

Call your cc company first!!! A lot of US based cc companies categorically deny all transaction initiated in SE Asia. I used Tiger Airways at least twice a year for the past three years and just last week from HKT to SIN. I use a Capital One CC since they do not levy a "currency conversion charge" and are more opt to approve international charges. I spoke to their security department once about my frequent travels to SE Asia and did not have any acceptance issues since. By the way, I usually purchase all my air travel on line as well. Good Luck...and have fun
Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. After I was denied on the web site, I called the cc company but no help there.

So you are saying 1) sign up for Verify by Visa program 2) call the cc company ahead of the purchase?

I will try to do those, including using Cap One. Other cc charge like 3% foreign transaction fees.

PS: the transaction is initiated from the USA.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:26 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Other cc charge like 3% foreign transaction fees.

PS: the transaction is initiated from the USA.
NO 3% fee with my Credit Union VISA. Purchased in US, prior to travel to SIN about two years ago. Used same CC in BKK just last week at the hotel, and used it a year and a half ago to purchase a suit in BKK - much cheaper than the famous suits in HKG, and also from Indian tailors.

EmailKid
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat
When I had this type of problem before, I made the booking through an on-line travel agency in the foreign country and paid the travel agency with a credit card.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Update:

Tried all approaches from calling Cap One, tried other ccs, did not work.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Found another LCC Jetstar Asia offering almost the same airfare but was confused about this quote on their web site:
"Payment

Please enter your international credit card (only International Credit Cards are accepted) information on this page. When you have provided payment details, and are ready to complete your booking, click the 'Purchase' button.

All bookings made using an electronic form of payment will automatically have a facilitation fee of SGD3.00 per passenger per segment applied."

Aren't all Visa/MC regardless of country origin "International Credit Cards" ?

Have not gone thru with the purchase yet.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA
No, the first 6 digits of your card tell the airline what country/bank issues it
Old Dec 15, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AGR
Some banks issue credit cards only generally accepted within their own country. I have not heard of any US bank doing this though, so your US-based card should be "international".
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Tried with my AA Citi card after calling them to get prior approval. Still did not work.

Will ask my niece to buy the ticket for me in Singapore. Thanks for all the info.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:22 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
FWIW

I bought 6 Tiger Air tickets in June SIN-BKK in 2 separate PNRs/transactions. Used HH Amex on the Tiger Airways website.

First reservation sailed through. 2nd reservation was blocked by Amex. Called Amex to get it unblocked. 2nd reservation then proceeded without further incident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.