Wiki Posts
Search

Weird stuff you do to make your stay more comfortable

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Weird stuff you do to make your stay more comfortable

I'm sure I'm not the only freak out there. In responding to another thread, it reminded me there's a question I wanted to ask the board:

What are some of the odd things you do to enjoy your stay more?

I stock extra ketchup in my carry-on suitcase. Yes, you read right. I'm a big room service person and I've found getting extra ketchup is tough to come by. So I've started to actually stock a few of those mini-bottles in my suitcase because I know room service will let me down.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I used to carry little Tabasco bottles. I think I quit at some point - fearing the TSA would confiscate them as being, you know, a threat to national security or something.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:31 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You definitely aren't alone with stocking ketchup. Since most of my travel now is international, I have found that ketchup is NOT the same everywhere in the world and if I want good tasting ketchup, I have to bring it myself.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
I don't anymore but I use to bring scented candles just in case the room had a funky smell.
I always bring a pair of slippers because I hate walking barefoot on the carpet.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:02 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA 2P, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
I don't think? I do anything weird.

However, one of my coworkers always brings along a body pillow on her travels. Apparently she "snuggles up" to it for her sleeptime comfort.

She's the only woman in our workgroup, and let me tell you, she really gets razzed everytime we see that thing.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Body pillow...how does she pack that thing?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA 2P, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Good question.

I've never paid much attention. That is, until we see her carrying it.

I'm assuming it's somewhat compressable(sp?) and it ends up in her checked luggage. She's not exactly a light packer.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Is this Marriott-related or should it be in TravelBuzz?

Never thought of the ketchup thing. I do bring Twinings Earl Gray tea bags in case there's a maker in the room. I refer TEG to generic Lipton etc brands.

I also bring eye masks & earplugs in case room is too light or it's too noisy.

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
When I travel, I try to minimize weight and size of what I have to carry. As such, I seldom carry anything other than the absolute necessity. I can always buy stuffs to enhance comfort level, if needed.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:52 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I always carry eyeshades, earplugs, a tiny bottle of room fragrance (poured from a larger bottle into one of those sprayer/misters) and some benadryl. Benadryl acts as both a sleep aid and an antihistamine in case the room is particularly dusty or moldy. And I always, always bring tea bags. I hate coffee and Lipton brand tea bags should be banned from all hot tea services - it makes decent enough ICED tea but it's a horrible black hot tea.

These things take up such little amounts of space, and make my stay at least a little better.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
A sleep aid (I prefer Xanax). Helps me to sleep on the plane and, on those first nights in a strange bed, helps me to go back to sleep at 1:00 a.m. when I wake up thinking too much.

Also usually pack 4-5 sets of workout clothing...gotta hit the gym to stay sane.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I thought earplugs/eyeshades were necessities, not luxuries

I bring my own shower gels & whatnot...helps me feel better about staying in a strange place when I don't have a strange odor about myself...
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:25 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by FLYINBELLS
I don't think? I do anything weird.

However, one of my coworkers always brings along a body pillow on her travels. Apparently she "snuggles up" to it for her sleeptime comfort.

She's the only woman in our workgroup, and let me tell you, she really gets razzed everytime we see that thing.
I'll admit to doing something really weird... I'm so used to cuddling with Mr. Kipper that if I'm on my own, I'll bring a stuffed animal he gave me when we were dating, and one of his shirts that he's recently worn. The shirt smells like him, and the stuffed animal reminds me of cuddling with him. Yes, I'm weird, I know I am.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:36 pm

Programs: delta DM/MM, marriott LifetimeP, united P, Intercontinental P
[QUOTE=PourMeAnother;8833683]
What are some of the odd things you do to enjoy your stay more?
[QUOTE]

not sure if this is weird enough for you:
I got so tired of seeing the exact same photos above the desk in ALL the CY's that I now carry three 8x10 family photos to place over the Marriot pics
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Not that it's weird , but I bring my own sheets and blankets - yep, I do (and I'm not exactly a light packer either). I have the thread count I want, know it's clean, and don't have any allergy issues with the washing solution.

I also bring my own slippers, a photo album, snacks I enjoy, my favorite dvds, special soaps, and I'm sure many other things I can't think of. I try and pack light, it just seems I am incapable of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.