Wiki Posts
Search

How much have you made from Flyertalk?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
How much have you made from Flyertalk?

As I booked a hotel today using a discount code from a Flyertalk forum that saved me approx $50 per night for a 4 night stay, I thought how much extra value I have made through Flyertalk, in terms of discounts, extra miles and improved efficiency of mileage redemption.

I estimate that FT has earned me $15000 - $20000 extra value in my travelling, although it is tricky to put a precise value on this.

Has anyone else tried to calculate this for themselves?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:17 am

The memories created from trips based on mistake fares is priceless. I honestly can't quantify it.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I made alot of friends all over the planet - is that measurable in money? I guess not
Old Dec 6, 2007, 7:12 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Friends, memories and pics mostly. Sure its saved me money and helped me out in ways i can't measure. But to be honest, its gone both ways and had me spend more than i should at times too.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 7:13 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by chrissxb
I made alot of friends all over the planet - is that measurable in money? I guess not
Thanks chrissxb for the statement. This is also what I think about it !! ^
Old Dec 6, 2007, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Financially, it's probably cost me. It's gotten me into mileage runs, going for bonuses, traveling to DOs ... none of these are free, and all told they probably add up to more than I've saved.

In other ways, such as those mentioned above, its value far exceeds its cost.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
When I first joined almost 6 years ago when I was a young lad of 21, I was green in the area of flying, I just became NW Silver with a trip to Asia, and didnt even know it.

Since then I have maximized mileage, gotten on some of the best deals, and used the system and its benefits to the max, there is no price tag on the 6 years of knowledge FT has provided.

People also think I am insane when I take a LAX-DTW-MEM-ATL-AMS routing instead of the direct flight
Old Dec 6, 2007, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
If anything, FlyerTalk has cost me thousands. Before discovering it, I never would have even considered flying 100K a year because none of my flying is for business (i.e., I pay for it). I used to struggle to get to 25K.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I really see it going both ways but feel I've benefited from the friends I've made, places I've visited and things I've learned none of which can really be quantified.

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
If anything, FlyerTalk has cost me thousands. Before discovering it, I never would have even considered flying 100K a year because none of my flying is for business (i.e., I pay for it). I used to struggle to get to 25K.
I concur, but would add that as an awful lot of that 100K is in the FRONT of the plane or at least biz class, it makes that travel a lot better. Pre-FT, when I first had premier status all I knew was that I wasn't getting the IDB on my weekly commute to NY, upgrades, pre-boarding, no fee awards, etc would not have been known/well-used without FT.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I really see it going both ways but feel I've benefited from the friends I've made, places I've visited and things I've learned none of which can really be quantified.

I concur, but would add that as an awful lot of that 100K is in the FRONT of the plane or at least biz class, it makes that travel a lot better. Pre-FT, when I first had premier status all I knew was that I wasn't getting the IDB on my weekly commute to NY, upgrades, pre-boarding, no fee awards, etc would not have been known/well-used without FT.
True enough. And, of course, I met YOU.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Dec 6, 2007 at 10:04 am
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've saved more money than I can count and made more friends in more places than I ever would have without FT, which is priceless.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tough question, because I have certainly saved money if I look at it on a "I would have taken these trips anyway" basis, but the truth is I wouldn't have. I have had the pleasure of seeing some amazing places in the world thanks to FlyerTalk and making even better friends. For that reason it can't be quantified, and even it were it would still be a great deal. Now if we wanted to count the cost of the SQ F and LH F awards I have taken with miles and compare it to the cash price, I am DEFINITELY ahead!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Meeting people who are just as geeky as I am....priceless!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by BoyAreMyArmsTired
Meeting people who are just as geeky as I am....priceless!
And one heck of a guy who was your "first"...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
And one heck of a guy who was your "first"...
....really bad ""do?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.