Wiki Posts
Search

Any recent experiences of STPC?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Any recent experiences of STPC?

Sorry to bring up this issue yet again but I was wondering if anyone had any recent STPC experiences.

We have a C class ticket and are currently confirmed on EK4/600 (1h 15m connection in Dubai.) There are also seats from Gatwick EK16/600 which forces a 7h 35m layover in Dubai. The EK staff won't tell me if I qualify for STPC until I am booked on the LGW flight () and the LHR flight is full so I don't want to lose the reservation. I have half a mind to just make a booking online for the LGW flight, phone and find out if I qualify, then canceling it and acting appropriately.

Technically I am making the shortest connection in Dubai. At the same time, I am leaving London much earlier than I need to even though I am confirmed on a later flight (I will be coming from YYZ and would rather layover in DXB than LON.) Hence, the connection in Dubai isn't really forced.

Cheers,
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Well, I changed my booking and behold:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Emirates will absorb the cost of a passengers stay in Dubai if the duration is over 6 hours on several conditions. One of these is that there must be no better connection offered within a certain time of your departure date. Looking at your booking, we can see that you are not booked on the best connection, and so we regret we cannot offer any complimentary accommodation for you.

Cheers,
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold
Thanks for posting.
Anyone know how this compares to other airlines?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

So, they are saying that there is a better connection from LGW-DXB-xxx? I'd ask them to give you details of the connection so that you can book it!

Or are they saying that there is a better connection LON-DXB-xxx (where LON = LHR/LGW)?

If it's the latter, then how long before that start including BHX/MAN into the equation? Surely it should be the shortest connection from the booked airport, not the booked city?

Cheers,
Rick
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
So, they are saying that there is a better connection from LGW-DXB-xxx? I'd ask them to give you details of the connection so that you can book it!

Or are they saying that there is a better connection LON-DXB-xxx (where LON = LHR/LGW)?

If it's the latter, then how long before that start including BHX/MAN into the equation? Surely it should be the shortest connection from the booked airport, not the booked city?

Cheers,
Rick
I think they are defining the best connection as EK 010 (Dep 2010 Arr 0700) connecting to EK 600 (Dep 0800 Arr 1055) i.e. a different originating flight. This would be fine, except that I will be arriving from YYZ so the airport change + 10 hrs layover will just become a nightmare.

Cheers,
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I think they are defining the best connection as EK 010 (Dep 2010 Arr 0700) connecting to EK 600 (Dep 0800 Arr 1055) i.e. a different originating flight. This would be fine, except that I will be arriving from YYZ so the airport change + 10 hrs layover will just become a nightmare.
But the EK010/EK600 flights break the DXB MCT rule (75 minutes)...

I'd ask them to confirm exactly why it doesn't qualify. As I said in my PM, the UK EK office refused my request for a STPC, even though I was entitled. Maybe you should contact EK in Dubai?

Cheers,
Rick
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
But the EK010/EK600 flights break the DXB MCT rule (75 minutes)...

I'd ask them to confirm exactly why it doesn't qualify. As I said in my PM, the UK EK office refused my request for a STPC, even though I was entitled. Maybe you should contact EK in Dubai?

Cheers,
Rick
Sorry for the typo, it is EK010 / EK606 (Dep 1000am)

I will call EK in Toronto/NewYork/Dubai

Cheers,
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the repeated postings but this might by an interesting page for people who want to learn more about STPC. It comes complete with examples

Cheers,
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Sorry for the repeated postings but this might by an interesting page for people who want to learn more about STPC. It comes complete with examples

Cheers,
Thanks! That answered my question in the other thread.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:35 pm

Programs: Skywards, Qmiles, Miles&More, Enrich
Strange

"One of these is that there must be no better connection offered within a certain time of your departure date. Looking at your booking, we can see that you are not booked on the best connection, and so we regret we cannot offer any complimentary accommodation for you."

My friends are going to MUC on Sat in Y class (award tickets). Their ETA in DXB is 0045hr and decided to go on the later flight to MUC at 1630hr (EK51). They managed to get a free stay, transfers + meals at the Millennium Hotel. Is this possible? Plus, I would think that on Y class, you'd need a minimum of 8 hrs to qualify for STPC and they aren't taking the best connection to MUC.

Code:
WED  12 Dec 2007 - 19 Dec 2007

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ---------------------------------------------------------------- 
EK        49     DXB  08:35     MUC  12:15     EQV  0    1234567     06:40       1       1   12 Dec   19 Dec
EK        51     DXB  16:30     MUC  20:05     332  0    1234567     06:35       1       1   16 Nov   29 Mar
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Lol...

Dear Mr Hassan,

Thank you for your email.

There are available seats on flight EK604/25Dec, which offers a quicker connection into Karachi. Therefore, we are unable to offer the complimentary accommodation if you choose to take a later flight on that same day.

Kind regards,

xxx
Emirates UK
Connection time to EK 604 would be 60 minutes (i.e. below the MCT.)

Oh well, at least they were polite...

Cheers,
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Did I win?

Dear Mr Hassan,

Thank you for your enquiry.

To book your STPC hotel or make a enquiry with Emirates, please call our Reservations Centre on 0844 800 2777 (open daily 07.30am to 10.30pm), with your flight details/tickets to hand. Unfortunately this cannot be done online/by email due to the information and level of interactivity required.

Kind regards,

Emirates UK

[email protected]
I can't make long distance calls from my dorm so I will have to go home and do it. Looking good though ^

Cheers,
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Ugh.

Ok, I didn't win.

I called EK and they said my TA has to do it. My TA called EK and they said the passenger has to phone and do it.

Update

I called EK again. The agent said the TA has to do it. I got her name and gave it to the TA. Now the TA said that EK said that tickets issued in Canada do not qualify.

I will be calling EK back yet again and they will be getting an earful. I have not been this angry with Emirates in my entire life - their customer service is just so atrocious. There is no liability whatsoever, and their job seems to be to get rid of you as fast as possible. Once you've forked over the money for a C$6,500 ticket x5 they simply don't care anymore.

Unfortunately I am stuck flying them back because my tickets are restricted, but my grandfather and father have moved their DXB-LHR-DXB travel to VS.

Cheers,

Last edited by sadiqhassan; Dec 18, 2007 at 11:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.