Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Billion Dollar Question: Coke or Pepsi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

All inspired by the Subway & Quizons thread. I prefer Pepsi as it does not stick in my gum as much as Coke.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:51 pm

Does Diet Coke count?

Diet Coke - yes. Diet Pepsi - no.
Diet Cherry Pepsi - YES! Diet Cherry Coke - not so much.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer Pepsi (especially Pepsi Max) to Coke.
BUT
I would never drink cola with a meal of any kind. Its overbearing sweet taste desensitises your taste buds, ensuring that you miss the subtler touches of your food, and the heavy carbon content means that the meal gets digested expeditiously, meaning you end up overeating and/or going hungry sooner than you would otherwise. Champagne and sparkling water are the only carbonated drinks I would ever consider having with a meal.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Coke Classic, of course. Let's remember that UA pitched Pepsi out in favor of Coke by popular demand.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by graraps
I prefer Pepsi (especially Pepsi Max) to Coke.
BUT
I would never drink cola with a meal of any kind. Its overbearing sweet taste desensitises your taste buds.
Odd that someone who prefers Pepsi (150 calories per 12 oz. can) to Coke (140 calories per 12 oz. can) would complain about the "overbearing sweet taste" of colas of any kind. Coke is less sweet than Pepsi based on sweetener content.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I prefer Coke.

All diet colas are nasty. Gotta go with the real thing or don't go at all.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Avis
I used to drink only Pepsi but when I got off sugar I went to diet coke.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
All inspired by the Subway & Quizons thread. I prefer Pepsi as it does not stick in my gum as much as Coke.
Whatever is on sale.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Coke for sure.

Not even close IMHO.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Coke, hands down. I limit my sugar intake so I leave the real Coke for dining out only, and at home the only sodas I drink are Coke Zero, Cherry Coke Zero, or Diet 7-Up.

Diet 7-Up + vodka + lime juice= deliciousness.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCBob
Odd that someone who prefers Pepsi (150 calories per 12 oz. can) to Coke (140 calories per 12 oz. can) would complain about the "overbearing sweet taste" of colas of any kind. Coke is less sweet than Pepsi based on sweetener content.
I am not sure where you get your numbers, but, according to labelling information on the UK sites, full-sugar Pepsi and Coke have exactly the same calorific content- 42kcal per 100ml. If anything, Coke tastes sweeter to me.

Having said that, I have no problem with a sweet drink. No complaints about the overbearing sweet taste when you're having the drink on its own.
The problem is mixing a sweet drink with a meal, because then you lose the taste of the meal.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did the Pepsi challenge once many years ago. Before the blind tasting test was asked which cola I preferred - I said Coke. Having taken the challenge, I chose Coke. Used to drink gallons of the stuff. Love it!

I gave up Coke about a year ago as colas are bad for your bones. I might have an occasional glass, but very rarely now.

Ginger Ale is nice with Asian and spicy food (I found this out in Canada) and my sugared drink of choice now is any commercial lemonade (7-Up, Sprite etc) with the juice of half a lime or lemon. I'm also fond of Orangina.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i mostly drink powerade, which is a coke product

i dont drink soda
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i dont drink soda
What does soda have to do with a cola thread?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in the US, "soda" (originally "soda pop") is used primarily to refer to soft drinks, as opposed to "club soda" / "seltzer water" / "soda water"

when i did drink it, i really preferred pepsi. (although vanilla coke was interesting) when i drank a lot at home, it was always decaf. have never done "diet" anything, except occasionally food with splenda in it nowadays.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 12, 2007 at 6:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.