2008 Elite Upgrades on Sky Team Airlines?

Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
2008 Elite Upgrades on Sky Team Airlines?

Hello all,

I was on a flight today to MCO and I was reading the Sky Magazine and it said for 2008 that Elite Upgrades would be available with all Sky Team airlines. Has anyone else heard anything about this? It gave no further information.

This is great news, since I am GM. Looking forward to potential upgrades on AF and AZ.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Wow...that would be pretty nice. That also would mean more competition for DL folks getting upgraded on DL.

Perhaps (speculating here quite a bit), this is what Jeff was referencing about "DL giving back" that wasn't quite ready for public announcment....hmmm.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta PM
More infos plz. What page of Sky? I will look for this today.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BingoLoco
More infos plz. What page of Sky? I will look for this today.
Or name of the article/column, since Sky is available online.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Or name of the article/column, since Sky is available online.
I'm assuming it is in the "Letter". I couldn't find it online. And why is it only now being mentioned? We're already halfway through December.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
I also looked at the SkyMiles and Medallion Program Updates and it is not mentioned in either of those sections at DL's website.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Anyone flying today that can confirm and maybe post the print...
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
SU too?

And is it on ALL ST's partners. Could this possibly mean SU too? Oh the joy of SVO to OVB up front instead of in the back.

I'm wishful but also jaded forever by the reality that this too might be too good to be true.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Sounds implausible.

Dangit, I flew yesterday and didn't take the copy of Sky that was mine to take with me!

Frankly, I'm going to call shenanigans on this - I think the OP misread or misunderstood something.

Are there elite upgrades on all SkyTeam airlines? Of course! Just buy a ticket in certain fare classes, then burn some miles.

Are there likely to be paid day-of-departure upgrades on all SkyTeam airlines? Of course not. SkyTeam members' policies are way too divergent for that. Try asking at KLM. You'll be told (as I've been) that you can just buy a business class ticket, if you're so intent on getting into the front cabin!

Are there likely to be complimentary upgrades on all SkyTeam airlines? Even more implausible. Northwest and Continental are the only two I'm aware of that can even manage that across 2 companies.

As it now stands, as a Northwest platinum-and-then-some, I can't upgrade from cheap Northwest fares internationally. And I can't upgrade from cheap fares on Delta and at least some other partners, even domestically. And I don't see that magically changing, unless Northwest and/or Continental (who have some automation and cooperation already) buy all the other members of SkyTeam (who don't).
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta PM/CRC, AA GLD/AC, SPG Gold
I took a copy of Sky this weekend. I just looked through it and do not see what the OP is referring to.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonzz
I took a copy of Sky this weekend. I just looked through it and do not see what the OP is referring to.
Hmmm... pre-april fool's day joke?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
Oops..I think I read it in Business Traveler magazine.the latest issue. If anyone can get their hands on a copy of that, I don't have the copy anymore. Sorry for the confusion, but I can't remember which one of the two I read it in. I know it was one of the two for a fact!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
No way this is true. There would have been huge fanfare and publicity if it were so. It's probably the usual uninformed speculation in travel publications.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Or someone trying to play a joke on the DL forum. OP specifically said he was on a flight and read it in the inflight magazine. Was there also a copy of Business Traveler in the seatback pocket? I can't see intl ST partners offering elite upgrades when DL doesn't even offer such on intl flights.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Not in the most recent Business Traveller (us version). Perhaps in Global Traveler?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.