$55 to keep Executive Aisle - worth it?

Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
$55 to keep Executive Aisle - worth it?

I have 10 rentals for the year... and no more trips that will require a car. I figure I can do 2 compact rentals next weekend at LAX, keeping the car for an hour each time, for $27.50 each including taxes to get to my 12th rental and keep Executive Aisle for another year.

Executive Aisle came in handy a few times this year - so thinking I will do this - but looking for validation! Any thoughts?
Old Dec 15, 2007, 1:36 am

You need to ensure that back-to-back rentals at the same location don't count as 1 rental.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dbuckho

Executive Aisle came in handy a few times this year - so thinking I will do this - but looking for validation! Any thoughts?
It's worth it to me. I'm interested in cars as entertainment, not just transportation, and like the idea of trying something new - even if it's only new to me. I did a 'rental run' run last week, and have another planned.

Of course, if you won't be renting from National often next year, or won't be renting where they have an Emerald Aisle, Exec Select is of little value.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timrick
You need to ensure that back-to-back rentals at the same location don't count as 1 rental.
They have in the past year, but would do them on two different days just to make sure (I only live 10 minutes from LAX).
Old Dec 15, 2007, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I wouldn't. The cars (at least, the ones I would take) are pretty much the same as the EA.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:17 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'd say probably worth it - since you're likely to earn 1 more extra free day during 2008 if you're Executive than if you were base Emerald.

I'm debating what I should do myself - since I think I need one more rental to requalify (at least according to CS) - probably will take one out for a few hours on a Saturday during the next 2 weeks.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
In the locations I frequent...

Most of the National locations I go to (outside of New York) have a very big difference between the Emerald and Exec. Aisles. For my last 10 rentals or so, I have driven Avalons and Volvos S60 mostly- even saw a Cadillac STS at the MCO Exec. Aisle but I needed a Minivan that day (weren't any Minivans in the Emerald Aisle) so I missed out on that. I almost never see these premium cars in the Emerald Aisle- and I check (just b/c you never know- there may be something better in the Emerald Aisle- hasn't happened yet). Question is- isthat important to you? If you're very happy getting your Grand Prixs and such probably worth it to lay out the money (also the rental credits- depending on how much you rent next year may be worth it). If sometimes you're gonna need Minivans (not to say there aren't Minivans in the Emerald Aisle- it's just not as frequent) or like to have bigger cars and leather seats and more power (love the Volvo S60)- then it's definitely worth it.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by timrick
They work like this.

Rental 1. Qualifying one
Rental 2. Rented at the time of returning the rental 1 - non qualifying one
Rental 3. Rented after returning rental 2 - Qualifying one

You can keep going forever. When I have a long rental I typically break it into one day non qualifying rental in between because you don't earn any point over 28 day rental.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by dbuckho
I have 10 rentals for the year... and no more trips that will require a car. I figure I can do 2 compact rentals next weekend at LAX, keeping the car for an hour each time, for $27.50 each including taxes to get to my 12th rental and keep Executive Aisle for another year.
I probably would do it, although @ LAX there is hardly a difference between and Emerald and Executive Isle.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I think renting at IAD the past few times (where you can barely get a car, forget the difference between the two aisles) made me forget my earlier rentals where I found a big difference (i.e. an STS for driving SFO-LAX, a minivan at LAX when I needed to move last spring). Since I will rent once a month next year, the extra free day (getting 1 in 6 vs. 7) and probably needing a van again in March for another local move ended up making it an easy decision.

Did the first rental yesterday/today. Was just going to get a compact for $25 including taxes/fees (got the price down a few bucks with the motor club discount), but ended up paying $2 extra for a mid-size as they had a Sienna van on the aisle. I had some family in town - the van let us take one car instead of two last night.

Will do another rental next weekend.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
I probably would do it, although @ LAX there is hardly a difference between and Emerald and Executive Isle.
Sometimes true, sometimes not. Last month at LAX, executive had 6 Toyota Avalons, a couple Highlanders, and a Camry Hybrid, and the regular aisle did not.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
They work like this.

Rental 1. Qualifying one
Rental 2. Rented at the time of returning the rental 1 - non qualifying one
Rental 3. Rented after returning rental 2 - Qualifying one

You can keep going forever. When I have a long rental I typically break it into one day non qualifying rental in between because you don't earn any point over 28 day rental.
I need to do a run to get 1 more 2007 rental under my belt in order to keep Executive status.

So I plan on renting a car from Manhattan on Sun 12/30 and returning to EWR on Mon 12/31 (National has a special $25 rate for this, presumably to help them shuttle cars back-and-forth from Manhattan).

I then need a car on 12/31 thru 1/1 (which I understand will count towards 2008 status). So I figured I would pickup at EWR right after dropping off the Manhattan car.

Does anyone know if this is considered a consecutive rental even though the pickup locations are different? I can also take the airport shuttle bus to the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall to kill an hour or two, if necessary (to make them non consecutive rentals).
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by coreynyc
Does anyone know if this is considered a consecutive rental even though the pickup locations are different?
This isn't policy, but I did a one-day one-way rental from MCI to STL a couple of years ago followed by a local rental in STL -- and both rental credits posted. YMMV, obviously.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Only from the same location

I've been told several times that it's only considered a consecutive rental if they're both from the same location (although someone once told me the same city- but in Miami we don't have that b/c one's Miami and one's Miami Beach and one's North Miami Beach) and I've done this many many times and gotten credit for both (at one time I had three cars out from 3 diff. locations and they all posted credits).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.