2008 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
2008 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Please Read This Post Below First!

Welcome to the 2008 Amtrak discount codes and promotions thread! If you are looking for a discount please read the information below. Discounts are organized by region for quick reference. If nothing is listed for your route, check the national promotions section for nationwide discounts.

@:-) NEW! - When you see this icon, it means the following is new or updated information.

Train Status Statistics
Use the following site to track up to four weeks of a particular train's on-time performance at a particular station. Very useful tool to guesstimate how your train will run. Disclaimer! - Use these codes at your own risk. Many are targeted for specific people/organizations which may require proof of eligibility when booking or picking tickets up. Conductors may also verify eligibility onboard the train.

General Terms and Blackouts: Most discounts require a three day advance purchase. Sleeper accommodations, Auto Train, weekday Acela Express service and non-Amtrak operated Thruway services are typically excluded as well. Check with Amtrak for specific terms and conditions before booking.

Most promotions and discounts are not applicable during high-demand periods. The following dates of travel are excluded from the offers below unless otherwise stated: December 14, 2007 - January 2, 2008; January 18-21, 2008; February 15-18, 2008; March 20-24, 2008.

National Promotions

Seniors - 15% off
Amtrak travelers 62 years of age and over receive a 15% discount on the applicable adult rail fare on most Amtrak trains.

Student Advantage - 15% off
College students can purchase the Student Advantage cards to receive discounts at hundreds of retailers, including a 15% discount on Amtrak travel and Amtrak Express shipping. Amtrak reservations must be made at least three days in advance to receive discount. http://www.studentadvantage.com/disc...rd/pjp?id=9191

International Student Identification Card - 15% off
Students holding an International Student Identification Card will receive 15% off the rail fare on most routes. Must present ISIC and school ID card to qualify for discount. Excludes all Acela Express and Metroliner services. Reservations must be made at least three days in advance. Visit
http://www.myisic.com/

Veteran's Advantage - 15% off Unlike Student Advantage, you really do have to be a veteran for this one. http://www.veteransadvantage.com/par...amtrak-50.html

AAA - 10% off
American Automobile Association members save 10% off adult rail fares. Three day advance reservation required.

Military Discount - 10% off
Active duty US military personnel, along with their spouses and their dependents, are eligible to receive a 10% discount off most Amtrak rail fares in the US, including travel on the Auto Train.

National Association of Railroad Passengers 10% discount - Join NARP, support Amtrak and receive a 10% discount on most rail fares! http://www.narprail.org/cms/index.php/main/discount/

Weekly Specials and Hot Deals
Amtrak posts special, online-only rail fares each week. Fares are typically good for travel to/from any two stations located between the listed origin and destination stations. Fares are always listed for one-way travel only. The Hot Deals page lists other promotions underway.

Weekly Specials
Hot Deals!
Guest Rewards Promotions

90808 - Double Points on all trains
Earn double Amtrak Guest Rewards for all travel September 15, 2008 through December 12, 2008. Registration is required. Thanks johncm!

Northeast Routes

Northeast Regional Winter Sale
Book travel on any Northeast Regional train December 2 through December 12, 2008 for travel through February 28, 2009 and get an extra 15% off. 7 day advance purchase required. Blackout dates apply. Thanks sogoesit!

H791 - 50% off Companion fare to Rochester, NY
Travel to Rochester, NY and bring someone along for half your fare to see the George Eastman House "Trains" Photography exhibit. Valid for travel on the Empire Service, Maple Leaf or Lake Shore Limited through January 25, 2009. Three day advance purchase and blackout dates apply. Thanks the_traveler!

V209 - 20% off the Vermonter and Ethan Allen
Save 20% off the lowest available Adult railfare when traveling wholly within Vermont. Valid for purchase through October 28, 2008 and travel through October 31, 2008. Thanks Pelforth!

V256 - 50% off companion to/from Wilmington
One companion rides for half price to Wilmington, DE through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply. Thanks Pelforth!

V454 - 50% off companion to/from Philadelphia
One companion rides for half price to/from Philadelphia, PA through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Must be booked through an agent in person or over the phone. Standard rules and blackout dates apply. Thanks ellebelle!

V722 - 50% off companion to/from BWI
One companion rides for half price to/from BWI through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply. Thanks Pelforth!

V731 - Save 20% to/from Kingston, Providence and Westerly, RI
Save 20% off the lowest available railfare when traveling to/from Kingston, Providence and Westerly, RI. Tickets must be purchased by December 9, 2008 for travel through December 12, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply. Must be booked via 1-800-USA-RAIL. Thanks Pelforth!

V828 - Half-off companion to/from Baltimore
One companion rides for half price to/from Baltimore now through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply. Thanks Pelforth!

V856 - 20% off to/from Boston
Receive a 20% discount on the lowest available railfare for travel to Boston on Amtrak Regional services. Three day advance purchase required. Blackout dates and capacity restrictions apply. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008 for travel through December 13, 2008. Thanks thenewbie!

V863 - 50% off companion to/from Newark
One companion rides for half price to/from Newark, NJ through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply. Thanks Pelforth!

Southern Routes

V673 - 20% off Florida
Order a FREE Orlando Magicard and save 20% off rail fare to/from all Central Florida stations on Auto Train and the Silver Service. Cannot be booked via Amtrak.com. Must call 1-800-USA-RAIL to book. Some restrictions apply. Thanks shelly_shell for the new promotion code!

http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/...ategory&cid=12
Midwestern Routes

No current promotions known.
Western Long Haul Routes

Save 10% on the Empire Builder
Book a room at the Glacier Park Lodge and receive 10% off the Empire Builder railfare when booked together through the Glacier Park reservation line. Special will end without notice and will no longer be available once the web page is pulled. Thanks Rad456!

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/Specia...sp?id=1&type=2

Northwestern Routes

H779 - 50% Off Cascades Companion to Portland
50% off companion ticket with the purchase of one regular adult ticket, traveling Monday through Thursday to Portland, Ore., on Amtrak Cascades. Valid for travel September 4, 2008 through May 22, 2009 to Portland, only. This offer is valid for travel on Amtrak Cascades trains and associated thruways, not valid on the 7000-8999 series thruways. Offer is valid for coach seating only. Thanks fairviewroad!

@:-) H794 - Potato Chips worth 20% off Cascades!
Purchase a 9 oz. bag of Tim's Cascade Style Potato Chips and receive a coupon for 20% off adult railfare on the Cascades and associated Thruway bus services. Offer valid for sale through February 13, 2009 and for travel through February 28, 2009. Reservations must be made via 800-USA-RAIL and coupon surrendered when picking up tickets at staffed stations only. Blackout dates apply. Thanks sinfonia!

Southwestern Routes

H752 - 20% off Surfliner and San Joaquins
Traveling to/from any stations in Santa Barbara County? Save 20% off the lowest available railfare with H752. Tickets must be booked by December 8, 2008 and travel completed by December 11, 2008. Three day advance purchase and blackout dates apply. Valid for travel to/from Santa Barbara, Goleta, Carpinteria, Solvang, Buellton, Lompoc, Surf, Guadalupe and Santa Maria. Thanks softspokenRob!

V207 - San Diego Chargers Offer
Purchase round trip tickets on Amtrak.com to select Chargers home games and receive transfers to the stadium via the San Diego Trolley. Offer valid for the following games:
  • Sunday, September 7 @ 1:15 pm — Carolina Panthers
  • Sunday, October 12 @ 5:15 pm — New England Patriots
  • Sunday, November 9 @ 1:15 pm — Kansas City Chiefs
  • Sunday, November 23 @ 5:15 pm — Indianapolis Colts
  • Sunday, December 28 @ 1:15 pm — Denver Broncos

Last edited by ByeByeDelta; Dec 7, 2008 at 12:24 pm Reason: Additions, deletions, housekeeping...
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Thanks, ByeByeDelta! I think we all owe you a big thank-you for maintaining these promo code/discount threads!

(That, and I just wanted to be the first poster in the thread! )

Happy Amtraking to all!
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:16 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA, DL, Continental, Southwest RR, TripRewards, Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by jackal
Thanks, ByeByeDelta! I think we all owe you a big thank-you for maintaining these promo code/discount threads!

(That, and I just wanted to be the first poster in the thread! )

Happy Amtraking to all!
Have to second that. Appreciate your help and attention giving to this forum.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: Peon in all
And a third! ^ Having most codes in one place is a great help to all of us! Thank you BBD for your attention to this! ^
Old Dec 16, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA, DL, Continental, Southwest RR, TripRewards, Marriott, HHonors
Anyone think that AMTRAK will post Sleeper car discount codes next year as they did this year? I am thinking not as they have had another record ridership year and people are finally starting to realize the value of train service. Also, what will help if they get the funds to replace their aging fleet.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Thanks for the thanks! Happy to maintain the discounts, it's not always a fun chore. Especially when you find someone has copied your work verbatim to another forum. On the upside, it looked like a pretty dead place so no one is getting any use from the terribly out-of-date information. ^

I should have started the 2008 thread a couple weeks ago but I just had no clue it was almost here!
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Here's another for 10% off on the Empire Builder using Glacier Park Inc. 's booking

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/SpecialsAA.htm

Website special only Book your ticket(s) for Amtraks Empire Builder with us and receive up to 10% off the ticket price. Use promotion code: ALL ABOARD to receive your Amtrak Empire Builder ticket discount. Special offer is only valid for new reservations. Reservations must be made through our Central reservations office at (406) 892-2525 and will not be offered through our hotel front desks. Special will end without notice and will not be given if the special is requested after it has been pulled from this website.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 7:47 pm

Northeast Routes

V856 - Visit Massachusetts Discount - 20% off
20% off best available fare. Regional trains only.
3-day Advance Reservation Requirement.

http://www.bostonusa.com/Member_form...itorsOffer.pdf
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:10 pm

To stimulate travel on long distance-trains,
Amtrak is introducing a new 50 percent off
one companion rail fare for AAA members.A
minimum
three-day
advance reservation
is
required and
must contain a
current valid
AAA membership
number;
the AAA membership card must be presented
at the time of ticketing and on board the train.
The promotion continues through Feb. 29,
2008 and is valid for travel from Jan. 7, 2008
through March 13, 2008.
The offer is valid on the following Amtrak
services:

Ann Rutledge,Kansas City/St. Louis Mules,Crescent, Pennsylvanian,Cardinal, San Joaquins
City of New Orleans, Lincoln Service, Auto Train, Lake Shore Limited,
Capitol Limited, Pere Marquette, Carolinian, Silver Service,
Ethan Allen Express, Vermonter, Blue Water, Maple Leaf,
Capitols, Piedmont, Amtrak Cascades, Southwest Chief,
Illinois Zephyr, Wolverine
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Is there a discount code for the 50% off companion? I've searched Amtrak.com and Google and can't find the promotion.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:37 am

20% discount for Pacific Surfliner: H752

Check out www.santabarbaracarfree.org for their 2008 promotion that includes 20% discount to points on that line.... not just stopping in Santa Barbara. There are some blackout dates as to be expected. I just booked 2 one-ways so I could take advantage of my return with the 20% off, as the outbound is during one of the black out dates so I ended up using my 10% AAA card.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
Is there a discount code for the 50% off companion? I've searched Amtrak.com and Google and can't find the promotion.

There is no code, just that you have to book by phone.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:36 am

Programs: MP 2P, AGR, AA, SW RR, WP, VX - what status?
Originally Posted by TRSTACIE
There is no code, just that you have to book by phone.
Do you know if the 50% is off of the !0% off AAA adult fare, or a regular adult fare?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by fkl3
Do you know if the 50% is off of the !0% off AAA adult fare, or a regular adult fare?
I don't know for certain, but I would guess that it would be off the AAA fare - since it says "... must be a AAA member ..." and "... reservation ... must include AAA number ..."! Last year (I think), there was a promo code for "... xx% off the 10% discount for AAA members"!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta

@:-) V777 - 25% Off Cascades
Save 25% off any adult, senior or disabled rail fare on the Cascades. Valid for purchase and travel through May 16, 2008 on Cascades and most related Thruway bus services. Blackout dates apply. Discount may not be available on all trains and excludes Thruway 7000-8999 services. Thanks Rad456!
According to this website, all of the blackout dates for this code have passed. Therefore, it is free and clear to use for all dates through the end of the promotion period, May 16. I just successfully priced out 4 tickets using the code over President's Day weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.