MAXjet Ceases Operations on 12/24/2007

Old Dec 24, 2007, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
MAXjet Ceases Operations on 12/24/2007

LONDON (AP) -- MAXjet Airways ceased operations on Monday - leaving jets on tarmacs and stranding passengers on Christmas Eve - as the all-business class airline filed for bankruptcy protection.

MAXjet took what it called a "drastic measure" because of soaring fuel prices and the deteriorating credit market. But analysts suggested competition from AMR Corp.'s American Airlines on one of MAXjet's key routes also played a big role.

Full story: http://money.cnn.com/rssclick/2007/1..._international
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Since MAXjet is a London-based airline, this thread belongs in the Other European Airlines forum. So I'll move this thread there.

Note also, that there is also a thread discussing the topic in the British Airways forum.

-AZ
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Since MAXjet is a London-based airline, this thread belongs in the Other European Airlines forum. So I'll move this thread there.

Note also, that there is also a thread discussing the topic in the British Airways forum.

-AZ
Their headquarters are in Dulles, Virginia, USA.
Did maybe mix it up with Silverjet?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Indeed, MAXjet is based in Dulles, VA. -- I checked my facts before deciding to post here. The posts in the other forums belong here.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Indeed, MAXjet is based in Dulles, VA. -- I checked my facts before deciding to post here. The posts in the other forums belong here.
Thanks for posting in North America forum, SFO 1K. I woudn't have stumbled onto this otherwise.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I read a devastating review of the Maxjet experience one year ago in Business Traveller magazine. The reviewer's account of the behavior of the inflight staff was beyond belief. When the review was drafted the magazine submitted it to Maxjet to give them a chance to respond, and the airline's PR agency responded by threatening the reviewer, which was all duly reported. I didn't give Maxjet much of a shot from that point forward; I'm surprised they've hung on this long.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 2:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Red face Doh!

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Yes, that's exactly what I did. I apologize.

I've requested that the moderator of the Other European Airlines forum move this back to the Other North American Airlines forum (I don't have admin authority in that forum to move it back), so hopefully it will be back where it belongs again soon. I'm sorry for the confusion.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
I am very surprised Maxjet held on this long. Their business class seat was totally inadequate.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Not surprising that a larger airline or two can add enough competitive pressure to bankrupt a startup.

MAXjet will be missed. Not because they were any good (I haven't tried their product) but because they added some very needed competition on the NYC-LON business route. AA and BA are probably salivating at their ability to curtail their I-fares now that a competitor is bowing out.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I was bit too disappointment with Maxjet goes out of business. It was not enough the financial. It was getting into trouble the financial from Maxjet is gone. I know Maxjet was flies from STN-LAX, IAD, JFK or EWR and along other cities. Do you know whicih specific routes was being served from STN?
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:09 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Not to miss the point, but the cnn site has a photograph with a Maxjet caption below it. Except the photo is of an Asiana 744. Whoopsie! cnn really needs to check their stock photos...Lucky thing I caught that, huh? Really saved the day.

Will
Old Dec 25, 2007, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
I am very surprised Maxjet held on this long. Their business class seat was totally inadequate.
Forget what they called it... for all I care, they could've called it Pooper Class, but their seat and service was awesome for the price!
Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:38 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Sad to see her go. Have a buddy whose family was a behind the scenes investor and was planning an upcoming trip with them. Looks like he will have to make alternate plans.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I read a devastating review of the Maxjet experience one year ago in Business Traveller magazine. The reviewer's account of the behavior of the inflight staff was beyond belief. When the review was drafted the magazine submitted it to Maxjet to give them a chance to respond, and the airline's PR agency responded by threatening the reviewer, which was all duly reported. I didn't give Maxjet much of a shot from that point forward; I'm surprised they've hung on this long.
I remember this review also.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Judge: MAXjet Can Help Stranded Fliers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A federal judge said MAXjet Airways Inc. can use $390,000 to accommodate more than one thousand customers left stranded by the airline's Christmas Eve bankruptcy filing.

Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071227/maxje...ptcy.html?.v=1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.