Search

AA Flyer's Observations: F, EWR>SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
AA Flyer's Observations: F, EWR>SFO

Hi everyone,

For what it's worth, I'd like to share my observations of my first F transcon (non-elite) on CO. I am typically an AA flyer.

First off (and I consider this a part of the overall experience) the ticket was exceptionally reasonably priced for a F-class transcon. In fairness, I recognize the product is not the same as the UA or AA transcons (more later).

The EWR experience was.... busy! I typically fly out of LGA or JFK so was not prepared for the sheer size of things. Security was a breeze thanks to the Elite Access line.

The President's Club was huge and busy! I was able to find what I thought was going to be a quiet corner - it was VERY comfortable but the amount of loud little kids (vacationers?) made me so glad for my sound-isolating earphones.

I knew that CO flies narrowbodies on transcon routes but was still a bit taken aback by the F seat pitch and recline. However, once we were aloft, I was pleasantly surprised by the comfort of the seats versus those on AA's narrowbodies. And, perhaps most importantly, the aircraft was CLEAN - something that has been disgustingly, sorely lacking on certain other carriers. Still, I would have appreciated even AA's "old" 762 J-class seats for when the tireds started to come. The lack of even the most basic personal IFE (not even power ports) was a bit frustrating. I had to resort to archaic IFE, a book (after my iPod ran out.)

The food service was extremely impressive. This is where CO really shined for me, along with the high caliber of the inflight personnel.

On the return trip I fully expected to not leave that day at all, because of awful storms in the SF Bay area. Amazingly, mine was (I think) the first flight to take off on time that day. While I was not impressed with CO's SFO terminal facility (in fairness, I don't think any carrier's terminal at SFO has impressed me) the President's Club staff were wonderful, and went seemingly out of their way to update me as to my flight status. I REALLY needed and appreciated the complimentary US fax service - I was prepared to pay the awful $2 per page or whatever it is "elsewhere."

The return flight was a challenging one for me only because of the extended and (to me) unusual turbulence due to the storms in the NW. I am very sensitive to turbulence as I am prone to motion discomfort. Unfortunately this meant that I had to pass on dinner after a few bites of my salad. I am sure it was delicious anyhow.

Overall the CO F experience was an overwhelmingly positive one, and while I'd love a larger, more comfortable seat for 6+ hours of flying, I wouldn't hesitate to fly CO F again when possible. Kudos again to their wonderful staff!

Best,
Lewis
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I pretty much agree with your assessment. It is a bit of a "shame" that CO can't offer cushy seats on all transcons, but then again, AA and UA use standard planes with regular FC seats on their EWR-LAX/SFO routes, and AA also to its "2nd tier" transcon destinations from JFK like SAN and SEA. And as you mention, CO's F is very reasonably-priced.

In the future, if you fly CO again, you should look for a flight on the 757-200 (not -300). This is fitted with CO's international BusinessFirst cabin, and offers 55" pitch electronically-reclining seats with legrests, AVOD and AC power. They are primarily used on European routes out of EWR, but for operational/scheduling purposes frequently show up on certain flights on domestic routes, including EWR-SFO/LAX.

A transcon on one of these CO airplanes is just about as good as AA's 3-class F transcon for a fraction of the price. (Even buying J on AA and upgrading to F with miles will cost you a LOT more!). The seats are nearly as good as AA's having just a little less recline, IFE is comparable, and IMHO, the meal service is slightly better on CO. Service is somewhat less personalized, with 2 FAs for 16 pax, vs only 9 pax on AA, but CO usually does a good job regardless.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LewDog
when the tireds started to come.
good recap, though i am not sure what this means. do you mean "when you got tired"? i also don't really factor food into my assessment, but i am glad you liked your grits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.