Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Flight Attendant Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrow United Flight Attendant Q&A thread!

Hey Folks,

After talking to a few of our resident FA's privately they have agreed to a Q&A thread for FA questions, which I think is awesome!^ The fact that we can have threads like the pilot and FA threads we now have are a clear indicator of some of the dedicated employees we have on this board. The fact that they sacrifice their free time to talk about their job with us means a lot, and it's a priviledge, not a right.

The only way that they (meaning those that I have spoken to) will participate is that we have no union and FA bashing. So if you just feel the need to bash one of those groups, please take it elsewhere. They deal with enough of those attacks in other threads, and they usually go off topic and border OMNI territory. Plus, it would make me really really sad.

So, with that said, ask away and let's hope that some of our resident FA's can answer some questions!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why does extra wine get dumped out instead of being corked & given out? Is the latter considered "illegal?"
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
What happens to the food when an aircraft overnights at a station without catering but that serves breakfast on the morning flight back to the hub?

(I think a good example would be BDL. Aircraft arrives late at night from ORD one night, sits overnight, then operates BDL-ORD in the morning with breakfast in F.)

Programs: UA 1P
Do you like to Y or C/F more? I would assume that the passengers in the front of the bus are a lot more needy and expect more

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
What control, if any, do you have over which trips you take and with whom you work on board?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P
best/worst part of the job

YEAH!!! thanks lucky and resident FA's - trust us (specifically iflyua2) us FT'ers do find your job interesting^^^

I can imagine that being an FA has considerable positives (see great cities, flexible work schedule, etc.) and considerable negatives (stress of working in an industry falling on hard times, bizarre hours, time away from family and friends)...

which are the best and worst part of the job (try to pick one for each)???

thanks in advance
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is it pretty easy to transfer between flight attendant bases? If you're based at Dulles, for instance, could you easily put in a request to relocate to SFO? Do you need a minimum amount of seniority to relocate to certain bases?

Are the foreign based F/A's represented by the same union that handles U.S. based flight attendants?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
How many FAs know about FT; what do FAs think of high-status pax and FT'ers (who may be the same thing)?

What's the best way to pick up a FA? (Hey, I'm single now.)
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:50 pm

Location: ORD based - All opinions expressed on this forum are my own and in no way represent the views of United Airlines or its affiliates.
Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Why does extra wine get dumped out instead of being corked & given out? Is the latter considered "illegal?"
If we have time and a lot of wine is left over in Business Class, we do have the option of pouring it into cups and passing it out to the Economy Class passengers. We are not allowed to cork it and give the bottle away. Liz and I are consulting via telephone and we both seem to remember some incident years ago that led to implementing the "no giving opened bottles to passengers" policy.

On domestic flights, we can cork the bottles and save the rest for the next flight - on international, it all has to be dumped.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by Javan69
FUNNIEST. THING. THIS. YEAR. (hey, it's a young year )

is this the FA Q&A or FA Date Thread??? LOL
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
We have seen the pilots bidding process for what flights they want to work - how does you process compare? I assume seniority is still Queen/King of the hill.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by papaghio
FUNNIEST. THING. THIS. YEAR. (hey, it's a young year )

is this the FA Q&A or FA Date Thread??? LOL
I bet you a date thread would be longer than this one
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
You know, until recently, if UA had poured all of its' wine down the drain, I would have said "meh."
But since the wines and champagnes seem to be getting much better of late, I have to read the statement below
Originally Posted by iflyua2
it all has to be dumped.
and say:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
The poor wine! It never hurt anybody! Why?!?

Also:
I'm flyinryan, and I approve of this thread.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:01 pm

Location: ORD based - All opinions expressed on this forum are my own and in no way represent the views of United Airlines or its affiliates.
Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Javan69
How many FAs know about FT; what do FAs think of high-status pax and FT'ers (who may be the same thing)?

Holy Moly!! I cannot believe all of these posts! Notice how I skipped over all of the other questions and went right to this one?
I was conferring with Liz via telephone and this one made us laugh out loud.

To answer your question, I don't think all that many f/a's know about FT since they are constantly asking me about my FT bagtag.

As for picking them up? Well....same as anyplace else. Flirt with them and see what happens! Giving your business card with e-mail address is usually a good way to go.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Hey Folks,

After talking to a few of our resident FA's privately they have agreed to a Q&A thread for FA questions
So all we need now is to get DullesJason to rename his thread to "United Gate Agent Q&A thread"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.