Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Celebrities on Northwest Airlines [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrities on Northwest Airlines [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2001, 11:39 am
mjd
Original Poster

celebrity spotting

i take several trips a year to minneapolis for work and to see relatives. Unlike new york and lax where celebrities are everywhere I have never seen any in Minneapolis or on northwest for that matter. Do celebrities avoid nwa, or does nobody want to go to Minneapolis? If you have seen someone, then who and were they friendly?
Old Apr 11, 2001, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Years ago in Chicago I had the dubious pleasure of being in the ORD Worldclub with " The artist formerly known as....." and his entourage.

There was P***, Myself, his assistant, his bodyguards & the Worldclub staff.

It was quite funny to me because while he's not that tall, neither am I and when I went to get another cup of coffee while he was doing so, too, I could see his bodyguards preparing to leap on me if I so much as spoke to him.

As you can tell I was not impressed, but then I have met a large no. of others.

I have the dubious pleasure of having appeared in a Clint eastwood movie, non speaking, if I got past the cutting room floor. I've never bothered to see the movie !
Old Apr 11, 2001, 12:47 pm

With the NCAA final four in MSP last week, I assume that the celeb/VIP traffic factor would have been pretty high for the Twin Cities.

The day after the game I walked into the airport right after Dick Vitale of ESPN/USA Today "fame." That was it for me. I was surprised that I was upgraded (trial silver elite) on both of my segments to/from the game (lga-msp on monday, msp-jfk on tuesday)
Old Apr 11, 2001, 12:51 pm

I saw Tiny Tim a few years ago. But he is from Seattle.
Old Apr 11, 2001, 12:52 pm

Oops! I meant to say that Tiny Tim is from Minneapolis. Doh!
Old Apr 11, 2001, 3:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Last year on flights from msp to sfo;
Bill Walton and he had to duck down to walk to his seat & Danny Glover "in coach"
Old Apr 11, 2001, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta, AA
Neal Young was sitting up front--with his guitar--on a recent SFO--DTW flight I was on.
Old Apr 11, 2001, 5:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
I sat next to Roberta Flack on an AA flight almost 20 years ago, I didn't have a clue as to who she was, but since she was giving away autographed photos to some teenagers on the flight I was wise enough to ask for one for my teenaged niece.
Old Apr 11, 2001, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was once in the Worldclub at LAX and there were about 6 bodyguards with earplugs standing around. I have no idea who they were guarding.

I sat across from Sparky Anderson on a LAX-MSP flight a few years ago. I'm not normally impressed by celebrities, but this was Sparky!
Old Apr 11, 2001, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
A friend who did his grad school at Minnesota said he used to see WWF stars at MSP all the time (in the '80s). Of course Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan may not count for sme.
Old Apr 11, 2001, 8:01 pm
Suspended

1997 used a Hilton four day award to stay at the Connrad Hilton Chelsea Harbour (London)
Was sitting in the lounge when in walked a bunch of people obviously a rock group.Thought nothing of it until I got upset when the cocktail waitress took my bowl of snacks and peanuts and put it on their table.
Turns out it was the entire and then very big band GUNS and ROSES. As a group (in the
louuge anyway) they were suprising very nice had a long chat with SLASH the guitarist, they had just visted my hometown Tampa.
To make up for the peanuts they were able to get me and my wife a table at already the booked up ( I could' nt get reservations for three days )and very good restaurant Marco Pierre White's THE CANTEEN.

They stated at the hotel 4 days and I believe the hotel staff was beginning to think I was a member of the band.

Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 04-11-2001).]
Old Apr 12, 2001, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Despite frequent treks via MSP, I have seen very few celebrities on NW. However, on an SFO-MSP flight, I did have the pleasure (?) of sitting across the aisle from Mr Ted Kennedy. (Actually, it was his blonde 30-ish (presumed) assistant that sat across the aisle from me, but you know what I mean ;-))

As we de-planed the senator greeted the throng gathered in the gate area, and immeditately drew one of them aside for a head-lowered confab. Reminded me acutely of the final scene from The Godfather... it was so... conspiratorial, yet regal!

-Pushpak
Old Apr 12, 2001, 1:12 pm

Mostly on flights MSP to/from LAX . . .
Chuck Yeager, Ray Charles, and a couple of reporters from ESPN.

Though I didn't see her, I know that Princess Diana flew NW EGE-MSP-LGW back in 1996. A friend working ground crew in Vail knew about this and had to keep it a secret since photographers were trying to find her.

Back in the 70's when I was a kid, David Soul (from Starsky and Hutch) was flying MSP to LA (in coach). Now that was cool!
Old Apr 12, 2001, 1:21 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, United PE, Marriott Platinum
A few years ago when I was waiting in the BA lounge for my flight to Heathrow suddenly security agents came in making way for someone who turned out to be the prime minister of Portugal. Since he brought about 20 people of his staff with him they occupied half of the lounge at SFO.

Maybe not a celebrity as such but it for sure felt that way.

BA Fan
Old Apr 12, 2001, 4:25 pm

Originally posted by terenz:
A friend who did his grad school at Minnesota said he used to see WWF stars at MSP all the time (in the '80s).
About 2 years ago, while connecting through MSP, I saw Mr. Perfect and (a very shaggy looking) IRS. I had no idea who these people were until someone asked me to take a picture of them and I asked.... I could care less about the WWF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.