Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton The Gambia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
Arrow Sheraton The Gambia [Master Thread]

Next time you are in Gambia I suugest staying at the Sheraton which is opening in March. I had the opportunity to tour the facility and I can easily say that this is Starwoods most beautiful property in Africa. Right on the beach and easily accessable to Banjul.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
Sheraton The Gambia

I just returned from a week at the new Sheraton in The Gambia. This was one of the finest resorts that I have ever stayed at. The staff was extremely polite and helpful and the manager stopped by each and evernight to make sure the guests were comfortable. If you are considering a holiday that is very inexpensive and you want a beauitful room, try The Gambia.

As a platnium, they upgraded me to a luxurious suite which had two bathrooms and overlooked the beach.

Everyone knew my name after one day and always greeted my guest and I.

This resort should be in luxury collection
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Even as adventursesome as we are .... each over 100 countries, visited 7 continents in 7 years .... The Gambia is a place I doubt I will ever visit!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
It looks beautiful, and the prices look reasonable. Did you travel off the property at all or elsewhere in Africa?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hvnflyer
I just returned from a week at the new Sheraton in The Gambia. This was one of the finest resorts that I have ever stayed at. The staff was extremely polite and helpful and the manager stopped by each and evernight to make sure the guests were comfortable. If you are considering a holiday that is very inexpensive and you want a beauitful room, try The Gambia.

As a platnium, they upgraded me to a luxurious suite which had two bathrooms and overlooked the beach.

Everyone knew my name after one day and always greeted my guest and I.

This resort should be in luxury collection
Good to hear about the Plat recognition and overall condition of the hotel. I'll be staying here in July, and am very much looking forward to it. Do you (or anyone else who's stayed here) know how long it takes to get there from Banjul Airport and/or the approximate cost of a cab?

I'd dissent on the Luxury Collection bit, though... as that would mean no 500 Point Plat Amenity .
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

I just returned last week for the 6th visit and I can assure you that you will have a wonderful time. The staff is extremely friendly, more so than any other Starwood property that I have stayed at. The ride from Banul Airport to the property is about 15 minutes and should cost about 300 dalasi which is about $11.

The property has a new all inclusive deal which gives you Breakfast Lunch and dinner including drinks for 1000 dalasi and it is well worth it. The guests are also quite friendly and mostly from the UK.

Let me know if you have any other questions as I know The Gambia very well and can hook you up with some fine out of the way places

Have a great trip
Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:54 pm

Planning to visit in about 36 days, and, from the sound of things, looking forward to it. Recent visits?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:20 am

This is a fool’s review. I like to think of myself as the second-stupidest person in the world, though it may be a tie. (With whom, I do no know; but someone, I hope.)

I’ve come to Banjul and Serrekunda with the hope of experiencing some local culture/colour and of learning about local business practice. To say I am not the usual guest of this hotel is a laughable understatement. This is a hotel for holiday. Coming with agendas and a timetable served neither myself or the hotel (in this review.) I hope to pass on some insights should my even-match fool ever get the notion…. I’ve called them “hacks” here, because the term is popular and I have no idea what it means.

Airport Pick-Up. Slick. Perfect. And well-executed. One man holds a sign with my name. (This earns him a gratuity.) Another man drives. (Another gratuity. Fair and fair.) Past the Tangerine and Right Choice, the Ovaltine Shop and, presto!, I’m at the Sheraton.

Arrival and Location: It’s on the outskirts of nowhere. Which is good, unless you wish to be somewhere – a bank, grocery, shop… I did eventually find one restaurant within walking distance: Courtyard, off the main road back toward the roundabout/airport. No taxis on-premises, though there is a rumour that some lurk in the parking lot, prepared to be summoned by the hotel staff. In my experience, this was mere myth. Want a taxi? Trundle out to the street and wait and hope and prepare to haggle. And overpay. All fair.

Check-in occurs. No amenity mentioned. Of course, no club lounge here. The Platinum benefit comes in the form of a delightful Junior Suite and free internet access. Not both, exactly. The suite is too far away to receive the wireless signal. IT Technician and all around swell guy “Omar” shows up and strings DSL cable. I’m wired in the Junior suite. Sweet. Problem: Every time you shut down your computer or the screensaver comes on, you’ve got to log on again. Hack: Turn off your screensaver.

Room: Hey other than the DSL delay, all’s swell here. I’ve got a little deck off the living room overlooking the ocean. Atlantic, I believe, though I’m a bit disoriented after my trip to the Orient. We gots water in a bottle. A coffee maker and some nice mugs. Tea. Coffee and Milk Powder. Ample and attractive furniture and a dual-control (living room/bedroom) HVAC setup. A “welcome” card from someone who writes a nice card. The problem: long, rainy walk to the room – the most distant of the property. Hack: Golf carts; the hotel’s got ‘em, They even zip you up inside a vinyl tent shell thing. Best toilet paper in Africa. No, really. Two ply. Awesome plumbing. I wanted to steal the wooden tissue box cover. Top marks on the room. Functionally, the best I’ve had on the continent.

Fitness Center: Essential part of my hotel experience. And really well executed here. Modern equipment in good function, and ample to meet the crowds. (That’s a joke, Son.) Again, good HVAC. The problem: it doesn’t open until 9:00AM, long after my nose is supposed to be at the grindstone. Hack: Nice lady at the front desk arranged to have it opened early for me. Fantastic. Much appreciated.

Breakfast: I learned my lesson in Dakar, anticipated the Sheraton Gambia’s isolation and opted for the breakfast-inclusive rate. (It’s stuff like this that makes me believe that there is an equally stupid or stupider person out there somewhere. See above.) I should note that the hotel offered that I could swap this breakfast for dinner (iftar) if I was doing a Ramandan fast. Very nice indeed. The problem: No artificial sweetener for the coffee. Hack: Bring your own. Buy it in town. See description of “Going To Town”, below. Coffee was a bit difficult to obtain at breakfast, and near-impossible to have refilled. The problem: I like watermelon, but the watermelon here was quartered – like cut to the size of one quarter of a watermelon. Hack: Yes, lots of hacking. Good watermelon, unless you’ve got a thing about seeds. In fact, all of the fruit is good. Super bonus: Soy milk, for all the vegetarians in Gambia. (They knew I was coming?) Warning to Brits: No Wheatabix. Hack: Easily available in town.

Going To Town: When I checked in, I signed up for a shuttle (one-way, no return, if I understood correctly) to the Sennegambia “industrial” area, departing 11:00AM the next day. Perfect, I can start some of my business then. 11:20AM, a ‘shuttle crowd’ has gathered. 11:40AM, the ‘shuttle crowd’ begins to dissipate. 12:00, I’m told the shuttle is “almost here”…but that the front desk staff needs my passport for something that they didn’t take care of when I checked in the night before. Rainy dash to/from my room. 12:15PM, the ‘shuttle crowd’ is just me, and I’ve missed my business opportunity for the day. Another day, the shuttle left reasonably on-time and saved taxi fare and haggling.

Other, Little Things: My room key “expired” every day at noon. If the weather cooperated, it was a nice walk to/from. If. I’m not sure how they keep the lizards out of the room. They’re attractive lizards and not “the scary kind” but I was glad they stayed outside. Hotel staff really seemed to appreciate (not just expect) tips/gratuities. Smiles were always returned. Everyone seemed proud to be Gambian (and I don’t blame them for that – nice place/people). Nighttime lighting was, overall, good, but spotty in the far reaches of the property. (And they have really big snails on the paths when it rains.) Problem: I had five Visa ATM and Credit cards from four different banks; none worked in the on-site ATM. Hack: “Go To Town” (see above), but be mindful of banking hours.

Summing up: I was told that Platinum guests are rare here. I was treated very, very well. The best thing was that they adapted to my eccentricities. As I say, I didn’t visit for holiday. I had an inflexible timetable. Things were made to work for me.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Any recent stays there in 2014?!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Any recent stays there in 2014?!
I stayed at the Sheraton Gambia for 1 night a few months ago. My experience was not any different from 365RoadWarrior's post in 2011.

You get what you pay for. Rooms were somewhat clean, wifi was ok, pool and beach area were quite empty when I was there. Breakfast was buffet, but with limited quantity of food. Hotel area is quite isolated, I didn't find any restaurants or stores nearby, just residences.

Took taxi to the market, and think it's around USD6-8 for a round-trip, there are green taxis parked on the hotel.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:53 pm

Leaving Starwood on December 11, 2015

Leaving Starwood on December 11, 2015
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:26 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
We are staying here just after New Year's on points. Already had a reservation and got the notice they were leaving SPG only a week before they left the program. At least they are honoring our reservation (though no SPG benefits obviously).
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone stayed at this hotel since Sheraton dropped it? Im trying to find a nice resort near Banjul, but one that perhaps is not too far from the airport.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Has anyone stayed at this hotel since Sheraton dropped it? Im trying to find a nice resort near Banjul, but one that perhaps is not too far from the airport.
Stay away from that place. It changed ownership a couple of times and is currently used only in parts which means the rest is a ghost resort. It depends a lot on what you are looking for but for a nice and quiet beach location I can recommend Leo‘s Hotel and Restaurant in the Brufut area. It is right at the beach with just a few steps down, 6 rooms adults only that are of solid 4 star Europe quality, the restaurant is one of the most recommended in Gambia and a nice pool is on property. The owners are an Austrian couple. Not much to do around but for relaxing in a very well maintained hotel with good service I would always come back. Been there 6 weeks ago, airport is 25-30 min away (by car of course). Payment is a little sketchy as is anywhere in The Gambia so they don‘t take cards and you need to transfer in advance.
For more action the Senegambia area would probably your best bet with a few acceptable hotels there. The Kololi Beach Resort get‘s overall good reviews right now. Another option is the Old Bakau area north of Serekunda which is as of now a bit less touristy and offers a very few good (though large) hotels with the option of being not too far from the real local stuff.
dw, SkyTeam777 and 365RoadWarrior like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by red star
Stay away from that place. It changed ownership a couple of times and is currently used only in parts which means the rest is a ghost resort. It depends a lot on what you are looking for but for a nice and quiet beach location I can recommend Leo‘s Hotel and Restaurant in the Brufut area. It is right at the beach with just a few steps down, 6 rooms adults only that are of solid 4 star Europe quality, the restaurant is one of the most recommended in Gambia and a nice pool is on property. The owners are an Austrian couple. Not much to do around but for relaxing in a very well maintained hotel with good service I would always come back. Been there 6 weeks ago, airport is 25-30 min away (by car of course). Payment is a little sketchy as is anywhere in The Gambia so they don‘t take cards and you need to transfer in advance.
For more action the Senegambia area would probably your best bet with a few acceptable hotels there. The Kololi Beach Resort get‘s overall good reviews right now. Another option is the Old Bakau area north of Serekunda which is as of now a bit less touristy and offers a very few good (though large) hotels with the option of being not too far from the real local stuff.
How is Ocean Bay? I would also love a hotel that has free airport transfer, but not sure if that is common.
Sun Prime and Kombo Beach appear to be all-inclusive, which is also interesting to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.