Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Delayed 24 Hours at CDG because of a Plastic Fork in Carry-On

Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.

Last week I had a tight connection in Paris. We were running through the airport to catch our flight. Of course, in the wonderful system they have there you have to go through security again even though you are just connecting.

French security became really concerned when a plastic fork showed up in my carry-on. After an exhaustive 10-minute search they confiscated a plastic fork like this:
http://www.rei.com/product/751962

Yes, that's as far as I know, all that they were concerned about, it is the only thing they confiscated. Anyone else had a plastic fork confiscated over there?

After the delay at security, we ran to catch our flight, but it was too late. You have to take a bus from the gate to actually board the plane - and though it was still at the gate, the doors were already closed. We were stuck in Paris for 24 hours because of this. Anyone know what's up with the grave concerns from French security about plastic forks? Incidently, we were given metal forks for our meals on the Air France flight.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The authorities have picked up "chatter" that some plastic forks are explosive. This is an al Qaeda plot to bring down 132 airliners simultaneously. Don't you want to be safe?

Bruce
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL-2MM, NW, AA, AS, NZ, AM
Looks like to me you were forked .........
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC SE
I sorry this happened to you. I hope you made the best of the extra day in Paris.

The root cause of the problem was your tight connection. If you miss your flight because of a 10 minute delay (regardless of the reason why) then you it really is your fault. Next time have more time or be less unlucky.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly-yul
I sorry this happened to you. I hope you made the best of the extra day in Paris.

The root cause of the problem was your tight connection. If you miss your flight because of a 10 minute delay (regardless of the reason why) then you it really is your fault. Next time have more time or be less unlucky.
Excuse me, but you have no idea why the OP had a tight connection. Did you ever think that it could be because his first flight was delayed?

Saying it's his fault is like saying it's the rape victim's fault because of the way she was dressed.

The problem is stupidity foisted upon travelers in the name of security.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by fly-yul
Next time have more time or be less unlucky.
Can you suggest active measures which would help the OP to be less unlucky?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by ylwae
Avoid CDG whenever possible, things are improving there but it's never going to be as simple to transfer as it is in AMS. Of course a tight connection in any airport is going to be a risk but any airport with a multi-terminal layout like CDG is going to take longer to transfer than a single terminal like AMS. Also at CDG for the moment there's a significant chance of being bussed as there's no enough capacity at the gates at AMS you're only likely to be bussed on KLM Cityhopper (regional jets and props - if your aircraft is a Fokker it's cityhopper) and a few other regional jet services. You'd be very unlucky not to get a stand on a 737 or bigger.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by doober
Excuse me, but you have no idea why the OP had a tight connection. Did you ever think that it could be because his first flight was delayed?

Saying it's his fault is like saying it's the rape victim's fault because of the way she was dressed.

The problem is stupidity foisted upon travelers in the name of security.
From the OP "Last week I had a tight connection in Paris." No other statement is made about the cause.

Again, a 10 minute delay happen at any airport for any of a bunch of reasons.

And you really need to think about what you reply before you click post. Comparing a flight delay to rape is offensive to many.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by browserden
Avoid CDG whenever possible, things are improving there but it's never going to be as simple to transfer as it is in AMS. Of course a tight connection in any airport is going to be a risk but any airport with a multi-terminal layout like CDG is going to take longer to transfer than a single terminal like AMS. Also at CDG for the moment there's a significant chance of being bussed as there's no enough capacity at the gates at AMS you're only likely to be bussed on KLM Cityhopper (regional jets and props - if your aircraft is a Fokker it's cityhopper) and a few other regional jet services. You'd be very unlucky not to get a stand on a 737 or bigger.
All valid points, but they don't address the issue of luck (or improving unluckiness). OP could do all those things and still be unlucky.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Anyone know what's up with the grave concerns from French security about plastic forks?
It's so you don't buy duty free liquor, get all liquored up and commit mass murder in the gate queue
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ylwae
A shred of common sense exhibited by a bunch of idiotic security screeners would be one active measure I can think of

Even if the fork was metal, brass or made of kryptonite, I highly doubt anyone with a functioning brain would conclude it was a security risk - perhaps those poor silly screeners would have gone into cerebral meltdown if they know how many metal forks were scattered about the aircraft all around them, on the ground and in the air.

Oh, the horror!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:16 pm

plastic is a bit misleading ... it was Lexan ... maybe they are giving more attention to sharp hard plastics (assuming they can they even distinguish on the xray)... just a guess

not saying they are right and not saying they are wrong ... but I probably won't be packing any sharp lexan objects in my carryon ...
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:44 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by muddy
plastic is a bit misleading ... it was Lexan ... maybe they are giving more attention to sharp hard plastics (assuming they can they even distinguish on the xray)... just a guess
Forks are not particularly sharp. If they were, I'd expect to a lot of forked tongue injuries in the ER. If the material is the problem, then eyeglass wearers better look out; most eyeglasses are made of polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand name for PC).

If hardness is a concern I would expect the TSA et al. to start confiscating diamonds.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
... most eyeglasses are made of polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand name for PC).
... and CDs, DVDs, etc, etc ... and arent steel forks already on the plane anyway .... and can I board if I file my fingernails into sharp points?

hope you didnt think I was trying to justify ... just making a wild speculative guess ... which is what airport security is all about these days, right?

In the end pretty much anything can be used as a weapon ... just ask Ricky Jay

http://www.amazon.com/Cards-As-Weapo.../dp/0446387568
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:53 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
"I wanna two fork on my plate an I wanna sheet on my bed"

...was the punchline of a bad mocking-Italians joke I once heard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.