Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ terminates NAN-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
Air NZ terminates NAN-LAX

Hi all,

Air NZ just announced that from 26 April 2008 it will cease flying NAN-LAX. The capacity will be shifted to two other, more high yielding routes, which are mentioned but I'll leave until the media announces later.

This seems rather strange to me, given it's a unique point of difference Air NZ offers that surely wins a lot of RTW and other multiple-stop business.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:52 pm

NZ have not as yet announced the two other routes.

Note well the section on Airpoints and Lounges.

Effective for travel from 28 April 2008, Air New Zealand will make the following changes to its B767-300 Pacific routes:
o Suspend operation between NAN & LAX and vice versa (NZ18 & NZ21)
o Renumber and retime NZ18 AKL – NAN (Mon, Wed, Fri)
o Renumber and retime NZ21 NAN – AKL (Wed, Fri, Sun)
Air Pacific is introducing 2 additional B747 services to the route; Wednesdays effective 30 April, and Mondays effective 02 June.
Air New Zealand’s code share agreement with Air Pacific on the NAN – LAX route will extend onto the following services that Air Pacific are adding to their existing 4-times weekly B747-400 schedule:
o Effective 30 April, NZ4010 (FJ810) operates NAN – LAX on Wednesdays
o Effective 30 April, NZ4011 (FJ811) operates LAX – NAN on Wednesdays
o Effective 02 June, NZ4010 (FJ810) operates NAN – LAX on Mondays
o Effective 02 June, NZ4011 (FJ811) operates LAX – NAN on Mondays
The result of this change is:

o 10% additional capacity on the route as two additional weekly B747 services replace three weekly B767 services. This increases Air Pacific’s B747 service to daily except Mondays and Fridays from the 30th April, and daily except Fridays from the 2nd June.
o Air New Zealand will deploy the B767 to other routes (announcement shortly). Air New Zealand will code share on all 12 of Air Pacific’s weekly NAN – LAX - NAN services with flight numbers NZ4010 and NZ4011.

This will mean that Air New Zealand will code share on Air Pacific’s six weekly B747 services between NAN and LAX, i.e. daily except Friday.

The last services to operate will be NZ18 on 25 April NAN – LAX, and NZ21 on 25 April LAX – NAN (arrives 27 April)

Rebooking Process

Customers affected by the schedule changes will be automatically rebooked through the schedule change process over the next 7-days .....

NAN - LAX & LAX - NAN

Reaccommodation via AKL. [Reaccommodation onto NZ4010 & NZ4011 direct service on Monday's from 02 June & Wednesday's from 30 April]

• Exception to the above table is that “ticketed other airline loyalty redemption bookings” on days where FJ does not operate (i.e. Mondays 28Apr – 26May, and Fridays from 02May) will be re-accommodated onto direct services the day before or the day after. “Un-ticketed other airline loyalty redemption bookings” will not be reaccommodated.
• Passengers in the “Ticketed” category above must have been ticketed prior to 24 January 2008.
• Where a passenger’s schedule change/reaccommodation does not meet their requirements (e.g. changed to travel NAN - AKL – LAX on a Friday and would prefer to travel NAN – LAX direct on a Thursday or Saturday), they can be rebooked from availability in the class originally booked. Another example is that LON – NAN traffic may prefer to reroute via AKL on NZ38 and NZ39 on Fridays.
• If the appropriate booking class is not available, Agents should contact the Air New Zealand Agency Support desk for consideration/assistance.
• There is no Premium Economy class on our mid-Pacific 767 routes so no
reaccommodation options are necessary.
• Industry and staff travel bookings between NAN and LAX in R and N class will not be re-accommodated. Please reconsider travel options and contact the operating carrier.
• This document is applicable to travel on 086 paper. Where travel is ticketed on other airline paper, please contact the ticketing carrier for instruction.

Customers who have booked and ticketed prior to announcement on 24th January:
Re-ticketing
• Travel documents will need to be revalidated or re-issued.
• PNRs and documents must be endorsed “Invol Reroute Due NZ PI SC”

Special Service Requests
Please ensure special service requests are reinstated as they do drop out of the system when flight segments are altered.

Connecting flights on Air New Zealand
Customers who hold connecting flights on Air New Zealand will be allowed to change those flights at no cost (i.e. fare difference and Air New Zealand service fees don’t apply) if the schedule change causes a misconnection.
• This applies to connecting travel both on the same ticket, and also on separate tickets regardless of fare-type.
• Travel documents will need to be revalidated/re-issued
• PNRs and documents must be endorsed “Invol reroute due NZ PI SC”

Connecting flights on another airline
Customers who hold connecting flights with another airline will be allowed to change those flights as part of the schedule change process under the following circumstances only:
• Where the schedule change causes misconnection and….
• Where the other airline travel forms part of a through fare on the same 086 ticket as the Air New Zealand travel.

The travel documents will need to be revalidated/re-issued. PNR’s and documents must be endorsed “Invol Reroute Due NZ PI SC”
Note: Where connecting travel is separate from and not part of a through journey, i.e. a separate fare on separate tickets, the normal terms and conditions of that fare apply and change of that travel is not authorised by this policy.

Baggage allowances
• Standard operating carrier baggage allowances apply.
Extra allowances for Premium Airpoints members are not applicable on FJ operated flights.

Refunds
Customers may be offered a full refund of the Air New Zealand airfare, taxes, levies regardless of the fare-type purchased where no suitable alternative to their originally booked travel is available. Please endorse refund “Refunded due NZ PI SC”.
• This option is only available until Friday the 29th February 2008.

Customers who have booked but have not ticketed prior to announcement on the 24th January:

Customers who have confirmed travel on NZ18 and NZ21 but have not yet committedwith payment will need to review their travel using the options available in the new schedule and the fares appropriate to that travel with no obligation or liability to Air New Zealand. Travel between NAN and LAX via AKL is however permitted for existing bookings, where the originally confirmed direct service was on a day that is not served by a direct flight.

Airpoints & Lounges
Airpoints redemption
• Existing Airpoints redemption reservations booked with Air New Zealand will be treated in the same manner as revenue bookings outlined in the table above, i.e. onto NZ operated or NZ code flights.
• Where passengers are re-accommodated from an NZ operated service to an FJ operated service, any unconfirmed Airpoints upgrade requests will not be carried over. Complimentary upgrade certificates and Airpoints Dollars will in these
circumstances be recredited to the member’s account.
• Ticketed airline partner redemption bookings will be re-accommodated onto direct services only. This may involve a day of travel change.
• Un-ticketed airline partner redemption bookings will not be re-accommodated. Airline partner passengers will need to contact their member airline to make new reservations from the new schedule.
• New redemption bookings made on/after the 24th January will not be permitted on NZ code flights.

Airpoints accrual
• Airpoints members booked on revenue fares (whether ticketed or not) prior to announcement on 24th January on an Air New Zealand flight from 28th April will still accrue Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars if they are rebooked onto an FJ operated
service. Passengers are advised to submit their boarding pass and ticket copy for a manual claim in the normal manner. Rebooking must be done by Air New Zealand.

Note:
• Airpoints Dollars will not be accrued by passengers booked on/after the 24th January for travel from the 25th April on FJ operated services even if booked on an NZ code flight number.

Lounge access
• At NAN, Air New Zealand and Star Gold Elite & Gold, Business class, Koru Club and Silver Airpoints passengers on NZ code on FJ operated services will have access to the Air Pacific lounge.
• At LAX, FJ operate from the Tom Bradley Terminal. Air New Zealand and Star Gold Elite & Gold, Business class, Koru Club and Silver Airpoints passengers on NZ code on FJ operated services will have access to the Japan Airlines lounge.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Lounge access
• At NAN, Air New Zealand and Star Gold Elite & Gold, Business class, Koru Club and Silver Airpoints passengers on NZ code on FJ operated services will have access to the Air Pacific lounge.
• At LAX, FJ operate from the Tom Bradley Terminal. Air New Zealand and Star Gold Elite & Gold, Business class, Koru Club and Silver Airpoints passengers on NZ code on FJ operated services will have access to the Japan Airlines lounge.
Silver???
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:19 pm

Bugger...

Well... I am definitely affected by this.... Had booked on NZ21 LAX-NAN in June.. and then on the continuing NZ21 service to AKL (and on to SYD on NZwhatever...) on a separate ticket as that is the only way it could be done... even ran that by the call centre and was told no prohibition existed against such ticketing...

So if I cancel/refund the LAX-NAN (and try to buy a LAX-AKL Y+ instead) I'm stuck with penalties presumably for cancelling the NAN-AKL-SYD.. and I didn't book "flex" on those segments....

AND I had applied a confirmed points upgrade to business LAX-NAN...

THAT should still hold (???) .. While it is not specifically addressed the announcement does say that "unconfirmed requests will not be carried over" which should imply that CONFIRMED requests will.. be nice if they actually said so!

I'll be looking for written confirmation there!!!

So... what's C like on FJ??

Edit..... Pitch 57" apparently... all C seats are in the nose... UD is Y. No AVOD....

I'll have to take the FJ option.. (Y+ one way LAX-AKL on my preferred date/flight is now >USD$2K and I'd get a max of AUD$1400 refunded).........and fight like hell for the already-confirmed upgrade... (Jeez.. glad I went confirmed!!!) Rebooking of my other flights is allowed without penalty according to the announcement .. probably not necessary as it is no doubt meant to link up with NZ21 NAN-AKL... we'll see...

Last edited by trooper; Jan 23, 2008 at 5:48 pm
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
This sucks.

What's next, axing LAX-RAR-LAX ?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Too bad. Now FJ has the route to itself. Overflying NAN by a couple of hours only to connect through AKL may be music to the ears of a mileage runner, but it isn't very convenient for someone who wants to get between L.A. and Fiji without undue delay.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by ajnz
Silver???
Perhaps Silver's using their pass? OTOH it doesn't say that so if any Silver's want to give it a try and report back ?

Originally Posted by trooper
THAT should still hold (???) .. While it is not specifically addressed the announcement does say that "unconfirmed requests will not be carried over" which should imply that CONFIRMED requests will.. be nice if they actually said so!
That would be my interpretation of it too.

In terms of the fixed product FJ isn't too bad when compared to NZ's 763 metal. PTV in all 430 seats in Y; 4 rows of Business in the nose with 12 seats spilling back into the plane. And the scheduled NANLAX flight time is shaved by an hour and a half (LAXNAN only an hour shorter]
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:18 pm

Fingers crossed alright..... I'll wait and see if I am contacted... should be I suppose... The announcement said rebooking over the next week right?

Or should I be PROactive and call in... hmmmm....

So a 747 is THAT much faster than a 767? Interesting - and I couldn't say I find that surprising ! I'm confused however cos FJ's schedule shows the same departure/arrival times as NZ21....

Hardly matters....Once onboard it takes what it takes!!

Wish me luck.. I'd hate to find myself down the back on FJ after planning that return so carefully!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: United 1P
Well I sure hope FJ improves the reliability of their flights - all six of my last FJ NAN-LAX flights have either been cancelled or delayed for more than three hourse (because of incoming planes). Now, there's just no alternative.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I know they say it is for higher yielding routes, and two more are supposed to be announced. What I do wonder is if it is to allow for the upgrade to the cabin and IFE that they have announced.
Regardless NZ is getting out of the "Coral Route" that they and there statutory predecessors used to be proud of and also NZ airpoints are earned on fewer routes....I seemed to have missed Ed Sims saying how much better it will be for NZ Airpoints members....
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:38 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
I'm sad to see it disappear from the route network , but sentiment doesnt pay the bills .

Fijian tourism has been in a downturn for quite some time due to the political instability and if NZ can make more money using these aircraft elsewhere good for them . I want NZ run by people who keep a firm eye on the bottom line and make business decisions based on keeping the airline in profit not emotion- we all remember what happened with NZ a few years ago when previous management took their eyes off the ball
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:54 am

Reckon I agree with that... I LIKE this airline and want to see it prosper....too many organisations (and products) I have been partial to have disappeared over the years!!! (Ansett anyone....)

I've realised a new problem with THIS particular situation of mine however...

On the old booking(s) I wasn't concerned about the 60 minute "connection" between the two segments of NZ21... (Same a/c?) Now however it will be a similar (short?) connection between FJXXX and the NAN-AKL leg of NZ21

Baggage transfer at NAN?????? Just Checking IN for the NZ flight?

FJ flight running LATE???

It's a mess ........

I'll hafta call.... I'd like to just 'swap" the whole trip over to go via RAR (or TBU) but I can't wait until the following Sunday... and the Tuesday is too early.....so I'm SOL there....

The more I look at this the worse it gets.....
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:57 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'm sure there will be some other passengers doing the same connection.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:07 pm

Good point... a nights sleep has allowed a calmer view of the situation.. as usual..

I was looking forward to the trip.. as originally booked.... so it remains a little disapointing.....
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
At the rate NZ drops routes that I haven't flown maybe I will get to fly every Air NZ active route sooner than I thought (currently just a few south pacific and tasman routes are unflown - NAN-LAX being one that I was supposed to fly last year but got bumped).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.