Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What do you do to your Luggage to make it Stand Out on the Airport Carousels ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

You see it all the time. stupid people picking up the wrong luggage. Actually waiting for your luggage at those airport carousels in my opinion is one of the most stressful things in life ! Because i'm fast i'm always at the carousel first but my luggage is almost always near the end !

Anyway, what do you do to make your luggage stand out on those airport carousels ? Most use bright colored ribbons, such that they don't stand out anymore !
Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA
I have a fury dice attached to my case. usually works!
Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Besides FlyerTalk Luggage Tags?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I purchase denim blue luggage, and also have hand knit wool bows on the handles. Since it was left over wool from a sweater my mom made for me, well, I recognize it fairly easily

The happiest day was when I threw away all the black luggage. I don't care what color it is - as long as it's not black.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Youse stole mah thundeh.

Seriously, these babies are dead useful. Just longer the typical bag tags and EZ-2-SPOT color make it worth ordering several. Though they're quite durable, if one gets torn from your bag you're not out much cash. And there's always the chance someone, somewhere, some day shout out, "Hey, Flyertalk!" (My advice: if they introduce themselves as Birdstrike, run for it.)
Old Feb 2, 2008, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I agree with Mary2e again!

I no longer have any black luggage. The last of it went to Goodwill a few years ago. I only buy colors now. My new RedOxx bags are in bordeaux, yellow and red. Not all at the same time!

I can see the RedOxx yellow a long way off!

My checked bag is bright red. It is a Delsey, When it fails, I'll get another bag red or yellow.

I use stickers, duct tape (in colors ) and even spray bright to make my checked bag stand out.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 4:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
WHS.

Thing is- and I'll admit I don't fly that much (5 flights in '07)- I've yet to see another FT tag anywhere (and I was in LAX/SNA/MCO/SEA/ORD/CVG/PHX this year).
Old Feb 2, 2008, 4:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Peterpack
You see it all the time. stupid people picking up the wrong luggage. Actually waiting for your luggage at those airport carousels in my opinion is one of the most stressful things in life ! Because i'm fast i'm always at the carousel first but my luggage is almost always near the end !

Anyway, what do you do to make your luggage stand out on those airport carousels ? Most use bright colored ribbons, such that they don't stand out anymore !
Do you ever watch those people who pick up every other bag regardless of size or shape and turn in over and over looking for name tags, then toss it back. And then notice the bag they actually claim has absolutely no resemblance in size, color or design to the ones they looked at first? I figure the old folks don't see too well, probably not well enough to drive home from the airport. I don't see many people under 60 doing this, but a lot of old folk surely do.

Unlike 95% of the traveling public, I know what my bag looks like. It's a Delsey, not quite black, slightly tapered towards the handle end, has two velcro pockets on each side and is quite easily recognizable (to me, at least) from quite a distance. It's also smaller than 95% of the bags on the belt or in the overhead. No ribbons, yarn, or duct tape and I tuck the Plat, AC, and ID tags inside so they don't get ripped off.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: AF; DL; & SQ FF Programs
I have red, white,& blue luggage straps that have my first initial and last name monongrammed on them in blue. Since a lot of people use straps, I figured the chances of someone having tht combination on any flight is nil. The downside to this is that everytime I've used them it seems to draw attention to the TSA boys and they always shake my luggage down. The only explanation I could think of for them to do that, is if I actually wanted some person to pull the luggage of at the end off the line!?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Agreeing with mary2e, black is baaaad. I rue the day I bought a black suitcase. A couple of small pieces of yellow duct tape on the 2 handles helps me out.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
My checked bags are red. I have a red rollaboard as well but it is bordering on being too big so may have to accompany the checked bags. I have a small black samsonite rollaboard which I am gagging to replace with something else, preferably not black.

Sis is enamored by both my rollaboards. So is my mother. I'm thinking of letting them fight for which one they want while I hunt for a replacement.

Preferably red.

Other than that, FT tag and certain types of luggage tags that are the same as a secret handshake in my line of work. I spot them more often than FT tags (which I've never seen).
Old Feb 2, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
My best (& only) FT tags story

DH and I are standing around on the ferry dock at Lahaina, Maui, waiting for our ride to Lanai. I'm wandering around looking at everything, DH is guarding the luggage. A guy sidles up to him and says, "Flyertalk?" DH never uses the computer and has no idea what the guy is saying! The gentleman says, "Flyertalk?" another couple of times. Finally, DH starts to catch on and says, "Flyertalk - I think maybe my wife does that!"

I finally walk back to our spot, and find DH talking to a fun-looking guy in a very bright and trendy aloha shirt. The guy says, "Flyertalk!" to me and I light up like a headlight. It's Cholula, I can't believe I even know who the guy is!

We end up having a nice conversation on the ferry ride, and see the Cholulas (Mrs. also) a few more times in the next couple of days (Lanai is a very small place.) The best part - Cholula gifts us with a handful of FREE hot sauce coupons and we are now converts from our previous life of Tabasco sauce usage.

FT tags are really excellent for identifying luggage and have the bonus of getting us FREE stuff if the right Flyertalker comes along... Mine are getting rather beatup, so time to order some more.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:09 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
That is what I use as well!

I just wish it could hold a business card.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Dianne47

I finally walk back to our spot, and find DH talking to a fun-looking guy in a very bright and trendy aloha shirt. The guy says, "Flyertalk!" to me and I light up like a headlight. It's Cholula, I can't believe I even know who the guy is!
The Cholulas are wonderful folks! And the sauce ain't bad either. You'll never go back to the T-stuff.

I was in San Antonio wearing a Cholula gifted denim shirt with Cholula logo when two young guys approached me on the street and whispered "Flyertalk". Yes! It was Corey and his partner braving a DO for the first time and the group had left the hotel early so the three of us were wandering around looking for the Imax where we were all supposed to meet up.

A Cholula logo is second to a FlyerTalk tag.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM
It never makes it to the underbelly of the plane!

14 days of cloths in my roll-a-board right next to me right now. 4 cities. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.