Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold

Just on the wire

Customers who purchase nonrefundable domestic economy tickets and do not have status in Mileage Plus or Star Alliance may check one bag for free and a second bag for a $25 service fee.

The cost to check items that require special handling -- large, overweight or fragile items -- will now be either $100 or $200, depending on the item.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Charming. I wonder if this one will stick.
This will just encourage people to carry more on.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:47 am

Programs: 1K, Diamond
2nd Bag $25

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=28032

The No. 2 U.S. airline said customers who purchase nonrefundable domestic economy tickets and do not have status in Mileage Plus or Star Alliance may check one bag for free and a second bag for a $25 service fee. Previously, the cost to those customers of checking two bags was included in the fare
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I just saw this on Reuters. I'm not really concerned about this because a) I almost never check one bag, let alone two and b) I have status anyway so won't effect me.

Actually I take that back. I will be concerned about this if it encourages people to try and carry more stuff on the plane, eating up overhead space and slowing the boarding process.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Change posted to .bomb: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html

Looks like 3P/2P get 2@50lb, and 1P and up keep the 3 70lb bag limit.

Effective May 5, so even if you've already bought the ticket for summer... (Edit: actually, the linked page is unclear on this matter)

Where this is really going to stink is that it's going to be a surprise to the VBITs, who think they'll get two and find out otherwise as they're checking in. Then they'll slow the check-in line trying to repack into as few bags as possible.

Last edited by PVDProf; Feb 4, 2008 at 8:25 am Reason: Factual clarification
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
And of course, it will encourage people to check a single 49.9 lb bag rather than two 25 lb bags. Just a guess, but if I was a baggage handler, I'd bet it's easier to load twice as many smaller bags.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDProf
Change posted to .bomb: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html

Looks like 3P/2P get 2@50lb, and 1P and up keep the 3 70lb bag limit.

Effective May 5, so even if you've already bought the ticket for summer...

Where this is really going to stink is that it's going to be a surprise to the VBITs, who think they'll get two and find out otherwise as they're checking in. Then they'll slow the check-in line trying to repack into as few bags as possible.
This affects tickets purchased on/after today, February 4, so customers who purchased tickets before today, regardless of travel date, are not affected.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
This is really bad. It penalizes those who are not business travelers, often those with less money in the first place. I think of a family of four flying across the country for a week long ski vacation. Each wants to check in two bags. Does that mean an extra $200 roundtrip?

(What if one person is elite, and the others are not?)
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Originally Posted by coolbeans202

Actually I take that back. I will be concerned about this if it encourages people to try and carry more stuff on the plane, eating up overhead space and slowing the boarding process.
Agree with you on that. This seems very poorly thought out. I give the policy two weeks before UAL wises up.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: United 1P
And you thought the lines at check-in were long now, just you wait! I can see lots of people unpacking their suitcases at check-in and filling their pockets with all the extra weight. It should make security fun, tho'!

My question would be what happens to the over-stuffed bags that people try to carry on - will the GA have to collect $25 to gate-check them?

Hey, but you know, this should pay for the extra compensation for lost luggage, no?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
This affects tickets purchased on/after today, February 4, so customers who purchased tickets before today, regardless of travel date, are not affected.
UnitedSkies, looking more carefully, I suspect you're right (UA wouldn't really change the TOC on sold tickets), but the baggage policy page of .bomb is not clear.

There are two tables on the linked page:
Tickets purchased before or after February 4, 2008 for travel before May 5, 2008: (two bags)
Tickets purchased on or after February 4, 2008, for travel on or after May 5, 2008: (one bag)

It does not appear that either table applies to tickets purchased before Feb 4 for travel after May 5.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I'm not really concerned about this because a) I almost never check one bag, let alone two and b) I have status anyway so won't effect me.
i virtually never check one bag -- if i'm going to take one bag, i carry it on. if i'm taking two, and have to check anyway, i'll check them both. under this policy, i'd be more likely to carry one on, even if i'm checking one.. (of course, the status waiver allows me to check both pieces anyway..)
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
to UA.

Penny wise, pound foolish, as usual....
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Ahhhhh! The benefits of status.

Seriously, this is the order of things to come - and it is the very people who are going to be paying the freight (pardon the pun ) - are the ones who've forced the airlines to DEMAND it.

They wanted LOW, LOW, LOW fares. They got it. Just the fact that in order to do it had to be unbundled is getting in the way.
Be careful what you ask for - I don't have any sympathy, sorry.

Best, Dave
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Are Star Silvers grouped with the 3P/2P members for the two bags allowed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.