Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

most expensive flight on the planet? lax-oxr @ 1149+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold

Looking to visit a friend in OXR while on business to LAX at the end of teh month, min fare for same day is $841 RT AI @ $17/mile on ITA E0NX Unrestricted $1149+ @ $24/mile HUAUP Is there a more expensive fare per mile anywhere? Yes, I will be driving.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Looking to visit a friend in OXR while on business to LAX at the end of teh month, min fare for same day is $841 RT AI @ $17/mile on ITA E0NX Unrestricted $1149+ @ $24/mile HUAUP Is there a more expensive fare per mile anywhere? Yes, I will be driving.
or you could take Amtrak / Metrolink.
LAX-SNA wasn't cheap either, back when it existed...
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
wow, even beats SFO-SBA ^^ (a rather dubiously award)
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LAX21
or you could take Amtrak / Metrolink.
It's a lot faster by car.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's a lot faster by car.
Depends a great deal on when you're going, and where you're starting in LA.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Depends a great deal on when you're going, and where you're starting in LA.
The OP said he's starting at the airport, and just getting to the Amtrak station from there is an ordeal.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:55 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I paid $462 for ORD-SBN, 84 miles, 17 minute flight. V fare.

And it's going to be -4 tomorrow when I fly back. Wow, what an adventure.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:20 pm

I'd imagine this fare exists to encourage this flight to only be for people with lucrative connecting flights.

I think FWA to ORD on either UA or AA is similar.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:27 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PHLflying
I'd imagine this fare exists to encourage this flight to only be for people with lucrative connecting flights.

I think FWA to ORD on either UA or AA is similar.
I think a better way to explain it is they price point-to-point high SO THAT connecting flights can be lucrative. If you price OXR-LAX at $99 each way, the fare from OXR to anywhere becomes $99 each way more expensive than LAX. So if Southwest launches a sale, fares from OXR end up dropping, which obviously makes no sense because Southwest doesn't fly to OXR.

That said, I don't blame the OP for driving.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The OP said he's starting at the airport, and just getting to the Amtrak station from there is an ordeal.
Well, many folks use airport codes as a proxy for the city---he might be staying some distance from LAX for all we know. But Union Station is a fair piece from LAX, to be sure.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I paid $462 for ORD-SBN, 84 miles, 17 minute flight. V fare.

And it's going to be -4 tomorrow when I fly back. Wow, what an adventure.
At that rate, I'd just take the train if I was in the vicinity of the Loop...runs pretty frequently, takes about 2 hours (but considering it takes 45 minutes to go Loop-ORD, plus check-in/security, plus flight, it evens out).

Then again, if you're already by ORD, flying does make some sense.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
I was hoping to fly to LAX from ATL on DL, hop on up to OXR for the day and fly back to meet a colleague arriving LAX in the evening. I was shocked at the pricing equivalent of LAX-JFK @ $58,000 roundtrip. I will get the rental car at LAX and accomplish the same driving up the coast through Malibu.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by das
I think a better way to explain it is they price point-to-point high SO THAT connecting flights can be lucrative. If you price OXR-LAX at $99 each way, the fare from OXR to anywhere becomes $99 each way more expensive than LAX. So if Southwest launches a sale, fares from OXR end up dropping, which obviously makes no sense because Southwest doesn't fly to OXR.

That said, I don't blame the OP for driving.
Excellent points.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:37 pm

How's this for ridiculous: SFO-MRY, 77 miles (154 miles roundtrip), 35 minute flight. $817. A MONTH FROM NOW.
For default dates on United.com, lowest restricted economy fare is $731 and refundable is $1201.

On the flipside, you can take a shuttle bus from Monterey to SFO for $82 both ways.

Last edited by stupidhead; Feb 10, 2008 at 9:47 pm
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
What the HECK are they thinking? (I'd use stronger language but for the sake of a mod posting a "hey no language" comment i wont)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.