Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which New Orleans W? 2006 - Present [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which New Orleans W? 2006 - Present [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Arrow Which New Orleans W? 2006 - Present [Master Thread]

Searched this forum for reviews on both W hotels, but wondered if anyone has recently stayed at either W in N.O. that might update and compare the two properties since they reopened after Katrina.
I am SPG Gold, so not expecting upgrades, therefore which W offers nicer rooms for non-plat guests?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 12, 2008 at 5:53 pm Reason: Mod note: Earlier thread thru 2005 is http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167388
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat & CK, SPG Plat, UA Exec Premier
Heading down to N.O. for Memorial Day weekend and currently booked at the W French Quarter. Any reports on this property, especially post-Katrina and being Platinum.

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I stayed at the W French Quarter two weeks ago. Service was excellent. They didn't have in-room breakfast (part of the rate I booked) up and running yet, so instead they gave us vouchers for free lunch (including drinks) at Bacco ea. afternoon. Bacco is an excellent restaurant and shouldn't be missed. Your odds of getting the u/g to either the balcony suites or carriage-houses (which have private yard w/ jacuzzi tub) are low. This is a small property with very few suites, and I've noticed when trying to book lately that it's difficult to score a suite or carriage-house even when you're willing to shell out 500/night...they're booked solid most weekends, as far as I can tell. Be sure to get a courtyard facing room, as the view is excellent, and I read on TripAdvisor that the noise in the street-facing rooms is problematic when the garbage trucks trundle through at 6am. Staff at W French Quarter are outstanding, and this one of my favorite *Wood properties (along with Westin Diplomat Country Club & W L.A.).

As for the W on Poydras, I don't know anything about it yet. Am staying there this weekend, so will post a comparison once I've tried it out.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:16 pm

Both NOLA Ws

Originally Posted by Amicus
Thanks for the update.
Please post your report on the W on Poydras, when you return.
My convention in N.O. isn't until October, so I have some time to choose.
I'm writing this from the W Poydras, and I stayed at the W FQ for the last two nights. W FQ is definitely louder, construction outside woke me up at 7:30 this morning, and I could hear the drunks in the street until late on Saturday. But I was in a upgraded room with a 15x10 patio overlooking the street. The building has a very nice courtyard in the middle, with chairs and lounges. It's a bit too chilly to sit out now, but I suspect it'll be hopping in a few weeks. Staff was helpful. Smallest W I've stayed in, only 5 floors and 98 rooms.
W New Orleans (on Poydras) reopened 20 Feb. I stayed here that night, which was pretty bad. The elevators were screwed up, and they were understaffed. A very 'soft' opening.

Since then, I've stayed twice, with improvements each time. I still find the staff to be a bit confrontational. I had a King room reserved, and when I checked in at 3, I was told that not only was my room not ready, but that I'd have to settle for a double. I'm a platinum member, and when I expressed my surprise, the clerk said, "this is New Orleans, things are messed up." I've been working here for four months, but if a Platinum member can't get the room he reserved, then you aren't ready to reopen.

Other than the fact that I'm in a double room, the hotel is fine. Good beds, very clean, many of the rooms were renovated after the storm.

I personally prefer the W FQ, both because the staff makes more of an effort to improve my stay, and because the building is a bit more charming.

Last edited by Killjoh; Apr 11, 2006 at 8:12 pm
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Just completed my stay at the W on Poydras this weekend. Ended up getting a 20th floor King room with an excellent view of the river (Had booked into highest category non-suite room in advance). The room itself was slightly nicer than our comparable King room at the W FQ (and about 20$ less per night). It had a very comfortable sofa near the windows which was quite nice (something the W FQ room lacked). However, the bathroom was tiny, as was the tub. I was looking forward to a nice tub similar to the one I enjoyed at the W Los Angeles a while back. It would be difficult to wash a fair-sized Golden Retriever in this tub...the hotel would have done better to just install a nice shower as in the W FQ (note that there only handicapped accessible rooms and carriage-house suites [and perhaps other suites] have tubs). Noise was not an issue on the 20th floor (but it wasn't either in a courtyard facing room of the W FQ). I would rate the view on the upper levels of the W Poydras as slightly better than that of the courtyard at the W FQ (if you enjoy watching the river traffic). However, the courtyard at the W FQ is gorgeous, and you won't be disappointed with a courtyard-facing room there. I thought the service to be slightly better and more attentive at the W FQ (smaller hotel...that's generally the case). In the future, unless there's a massive difference in price, we plan to stay at the W FQ for all our N.O. stays.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
FWIW, W NO is Cat 3; W FQ is cat 4.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I just stayed at the W on Poydras 4/1/06. Overall it is a good location, halfway to Emerils and the FQ. They are still working on the top couple of floors. Overall the staff seemed new, tried to be helpfull, but did not know a lot. Ie directions things like that. Also did not get upgraded, but unsure if they even have any upgrades or an executive floor etc. They have a great promo 199 for one night. 2 drinks at the bar, $35 banna republic and $35 W store gift cards. The bar was great and we enjoyed the second floor area. Had a corner room, which had a huge bathroom, the room was decent size but the large table/ desk made it feel small. Minibar was well stocked and had everything. WE did walk into the W FQ when walking around, the W FQ seemed nicer, but we did not see anyrooms. I prefer the W Poydras location and have stayed in that area a lot, mostly for work. Also this was my first stay at a W & overall I would prefer a westin. I guess I am old and uncool.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Thumbs up W Fq

I just stayed at the W FQ on the weekend of 3/11.

The hotel service was impeccable. There is a Montrel something there that did all kinds of work to arrange for tours before I arrived, and everything worked out as planned.

My direct deposit did not go through as expected, and she was helpful finding a taxi that would take a credit card (after the storm, very few do), she even offered to drive me to the airport herself!

The room I got a "spectacular" room had a nice balcony that I had breakfast on one morning (the grits from room service were some of the best grits I've ever had). The room itself was rather small, typical W style, with no bath tub.

I ended up having drinks by the pool on a thursday afternoon and reading which was a great way to relax.

Overall, a great experience, less because of the room itself than the service and friendliness of staff.

I would definitely recommend it.

Never stayed at the WPoy. but the location of the FQ couldn't be better- only 3 blocks to bourbon and 3 to jackson square.

jb
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:35 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Stayed both W's in last 2 weeks, prefer the W French 1/4

Stayed at both W hotels in New Orleans two weeks ago. The W NO bar was closing at eleven, as was room service. Staff mentioned the bar will be staying open 'til midnight soon. I didn't get the usual energetic vibe from the W NO, so I enjoyed the W French 1/4 more.

The W NO had a nicer room, which was clearly redone recently. I was three floors from the top, in an immaculate corner room. The view was good, and I liked the extra furniture and sizable bathroom. Departed at 0630, so no breakfast. The staff were courteous but distant and I've noticed an additional charge on my card above the express check out folio, so I've got to resolve that.

The W French 1/4 had a much more relaxed atmosphere. I enjoyed Bacco's (and the 10 cent martini's) plus there was a good crowd 'round the pool both nights. My room on the 5th floor wasn't as exciting as I hoped for, very much alike to the W San Diego and W San Francisco rooms I stayed in. There was a line for check in and that took some time, but I felt the W French 1/4 staff really went above and beyond the call of duty to help out. They added a welcome gift to my room and were very helpful tracking down stationery for me (I write profusely).

Given price as a constant, and keeping in mind the OP's gold status, go for the W French 1/4 and request a courtyard facing room. Much more warm and welcoming, with a nice amiable quality.

-- CaptainG
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:01 pm

Compare both Ws in New Orleans

Hi
I am SPG Gold and planning a long weekend at the W in New Orleans. Does anyone have a preference for the W New Orleans or the W French Quarter New Orleans. Which is a better hotel and better location? I'm not familiar with W or New Orleans, so I am looking for the best option.
Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:02 pm

thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Lightbulb

Hello and welcome to FT.

FlyerTalk's "Search" feature reveals SEVERAL existing threads on New Orleans properties. Many, many FlyerTalkers have taken the time and effort to post their experiences, comments, suggestions, opinions & general information.

You can search by:

A – Clicking the Search this Forum pull down at the top of the main forum page
B – Type in what you are looking for. Example "New York" or "times square"
C – Click the GO button

I hope this helps and please let us know which property you decided to stay at and what your experience was like.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I can tell you that based on the limited availability of taxis in New Orleans at present, my current favorite would be the W French Quarter.

The W New Orleans got most of my stays prior to the hurricane.

Upgrade chances at the W New Orleans are better - more suites. Both hotels are suffering from staffing issues (as is most of New Orleans right now) so some services are more limited than they used to be (room service from only 7 am to 9 pm at the W New Orleans, for example).

Both hotels have a lovely vibe. W NO is closer to Harrahs and Warehouse District dining if that is your thing.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:49 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass; SPG Gold
W French Quarter

My wife & I stayed at this property in the months before the hurricane. Its public areas were nice, as was Ralph Brennan's Bacco restaurant. Our room was very small (smaller than W's standard fare) but it contained all of W's usual amenities. Employees were gracious & helpful (typical W).

Our chief complaint were the buildings themselves. This property consisted of several older buildings converted into a hotel. In the portion where we stayed the walls were paper thin. Without any effort we could hear the conversations from BOTH of the adjacent rooms. In fact we could mute our television and hear the sound track very clearly from the next room. My wife & I frequently whispered whenever we thought the adjacent guests were in their respective rooms--so as to keep our conversations private.

It wasn't a problem until we realized that the guests were travelling together and would arrive laughing, giggling & intoxicated at 3am, every day.

While the staff nicely offered to move us to the other W downtown, it was too much of a hassle and we took points instead.

TC
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Is the W French Quarter even open yet? I tried to make reservations there a couple of months ago for Halloween,and they weren't accepting res. on line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.