Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AIR FRANCE LAX-LHR SALE $431 Spring (all in)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

Non-stop flight LAX to London

Incredible low fare

Los Angeles glamour, British cool, French flair: on Air France´s newest flight you get all three! This new flight is operated by Air France; you will experience the incomparable service Air France is famous for, including complimentary Champagne in all classes of service. Also, limited-time sale on LAX - London until February 22!

The "Spring Fares" are valid for departures from March 30 through May 24, 2008.

The "Summer Fares" are valid for departures from May 25 through June 30, 2008.

You must book by February 22, 2008.

Spring Fare
Depart March 30 through May 24
Los Angeles - London $223*

Summer Fare
Depart May 25 through June 30
Los Angeles - London $427*

Fares are displayed one-way based on a round-trip purchase, fuel charges included.

Schedule
AF061 departs LAX at 8:25 PM; arrives London Heathrow 2:40 PM (next day)
AF060 departs London Heathrow at 5:00PM; arrives LAX 8:15PM

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/...cekedgfndghk.0
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The $430 price is very limited NJXINTR1 fare. Even stranger is that it is a $130 fare each way, not $223. So $260 is airfare and $170 is taxes (mostly UK).

There is als a NJWINTR1 fare, at $161.5, for weekend travel.

I'm really not sure what the $223 fare in the ad is about.

Also, the DL fares are way more (~725 a/i on a T fare at the bottom of the barrel). Both the AF and DL fares are 50% EQM on CO.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Books into class N doesn't accrue MQMs on Delta, 25% EQM on NW and 50% on CO
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Avail. for memorial day Thu-Mon.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
Indeed a good fare, but terrible for a mileage run... as you earn only 25 %... no way for me to get this deal..

however ths deal is pretty good for holidays maker, cause most of them are looking for the cheapest ticket available...

I'm pretty sure AF will fail on this premium route...

no premium good fares... they just copied BA's fares...

wait and see
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite SPG Gold
Air Canada has a similar fare LAX-Canada-LHR for $278 ($138 base + $140 fuel surcharge) plus taxes. It comes out to anywhere between $450 and $470 depending on the AIF of the Canadian Airport you go through. The shortest stay seems to be Thursday to Monday, but it looks like lots of other dates available. I checked some dates in March and April.

It's N class, so it earns nothing on Aeroplan. I checked .bomb and it says N class earns 100% EQM for "Economy Worldwide (excluding flights within Canada)" and 50% EQM for "Discount Economy on flights within Canada".

This might be a stupid question but I am not sure so that's why I am asking, is connecting through Canada considerd a flight within Canada?

Sorry if I should not have posted in this thread, but I wasn't sure if it really was a mileage run deal or not and it was similar to the original post. Please move or delete if it doesn't belong here.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milesaddict
no premium good fares... they just copied BA's fares...
Not true. The cheapest ex-LON business prices are the same, but BA and VS (and most other airlines) have a 28-day advance purchase requirement. And the BA tickets are COMPLETELY inflexible. Can't change dates or anything... The AF ones are also non-refundable, but can be changed for £200.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Good fare, cr@ppy MR.

What do FB members earn on N fares? 25%?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, AAdvantage 1MM, Bonvoy, Hilton, IHG, Emerald (National), BA Emirates
Might not be a good mileage EARNER...

... but as with all "new" routes/services/flights - - this is (or was, until recently) a good mileage BURNER, in that "saver" seats (50k) for summer were available much later in the winter than you would ordinarily expect.

Got one for my daughter for (almost) exactly the dates desired (using WorldPerks miles). Given that this IS the true routing we were seeking, it was a dream come true.

Final destination is Sicily, but we were happy to give ourselves a "transition day" in England before traveling - - and Alitalia DOES choose to compete with the Ryanair low fares LON-PMO, so it provides a very good choice of times and options at low cost.

One final trick on finding seats on this service. When I initially started combing, I could find no seats for LAX-LHR at the saver rate. But a savvy FTer pointed out to me that saver seats WERE available for travel LAX-LHR-CDG (since AF uses this same flight number for LAX to Paris, not just to London) - - and that a WorldPerks agent might be able to "strip off" the LHR-CDG leg.

Sure enough.

It cost me $15 to telephone them, but well worth it to be able to do this at half the normal 100k WorldPerks expenditure.

Regards,

Rex, in Indiana
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by rexb
... but as with all "new" routes/services/flights - - this is (or was, until recently) a good mileage BURNER, in that "saver" seats (50k) for summer were available much later in the winter than you would ordinarily expect.

Rex, in Indiana
Yeah, but why would one waste 50K miles when the ticket can be had for $440? (Or whatever it is in the summer)
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notsosmart
Yeah, but why would one waste 50K miles when the ticket can be had for $440? (Or whatever it is in the summer)

You can even get it for 22,500 Flying Blue miles one way in business class at the moment. I've found availability on dates which are good for me, so I may go for it. That is a bargain even taking into account the 220 Euros in taxes.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Maybe a fare glitch (maybe not), but October fares on Air France between LAX AND LHR are $335.69 rt. November dates are $366.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 6:45 pm

The $149/OW fare is available in Sept/Oct ($466 ai)
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AAdvantage 1MM, Bonvoy, Hilton, IHG, Emerald (National), BA Emirates
Originally Posted by notsosmart

Closest dates I can find are still $900 all-in

It's for my daughter, and earning miles for her (which as pointed out are rather reduced) is not that high a priority for me. I'll discuss it with her, but I think I am happy to have found it, even if it could be purchased more cheaply than might be expected ($1050-1100 on other carriers).
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rexb
Closest dates I can find are still $900 all-in

It's for my daughter, and earning miles for her (which as pointed out are rather reduced) is not that high a priority for me. I'll discuss it with her, but I think I am happy to have found it, even if it could be purchased more cheaply than might be expected ($1050-1100 on other carriers).
Don't forget the FlyerTalk policy that 50% of all savings goes to the OP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.