I hear the train is murder. The rail width size is
different between the two countries!!
dbase
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:43 pm

I can't imagine how taking a coach would be any easier than the train

You could always fly with Vueling
Old Feb 21, 2008, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eurolines used to run a bus service from Barcelona to Nice on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. It left at 10:30am and arrived at midnight.
On Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays the bus was an overnight journey, starting at 6:30pm arriving at 4:30am.

On other days and other times the bus only travelled as far as Marseilles.

Unfortunately I can't check out the current Eurolines timetable as I can't get the website to open with my Mac browsers. So no idea if this is still current (I suspect it is though)

Here's the timetable I used
http://www.eurolines.es/portal/pdfs/...a_toulouse.pdf

If the overnight times suit you and you sleep well on a bus it might not be such a bad option.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
The Eurolines bus does still run and is available details on this pdf

http://www.eurolines.es/portal/pdfs/...a_toulouse.pdf
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
...the question is WHY? It costs 12€ more to fly than take the bus.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
From www.raileurope.com:

8:45AM/22 Apr
Barcelona-estacio De Franca

1:22PM/22 Apr
Montpellier St-roch
4hr 37min

3:11PM/22 Apr
Montpellier St-roch

7:23PM/22 Apr
Nice Ville
4hr 12min

$108.00 budget class

Might be better rates when there? I was surprised how high it was.

And I ride buses and trains so I can see the scenery, have a little more personal space, get up and move around, and talk to locals if I choose.

Also, those budget airlines are pretty good at getting more money out of you. Although I'm also willing to use them on occasion.

Romelle
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Romelle
Might be better rates when there? I was surprised how high it was.
Likely no. One of the reasons budget airlines have been so successful.

And I ride buses and trains so I can see the scenery, have a little more personal space, get up and move around, and talk to locals if I choose.
Personally, much as I like to see scenery, I can only give it my full attention for about 2 hours at a time. 10-12 hour trips just become a blur.
The buses won't give you more personal space, and whilst the train might (because they don't always) you will need it - after all the trip is about an hour by plane and nearly 12 hours by train.
I also like to talk to locals. I can usually do this just fine in the town, city, village I'm going to, or in the local train/bus.
Spending 10 hours on a journey looking out is a very passive way of travelling. Sure, you may enjoy it - many people do - but you seem to be trying to convince us that you believe it allows you to interact with the area and the local people more. You'll have more genuine opportunities to get up, move around and talk to the locals, if you choose, at wherever it is you're going to.

I thought the OP was interested in the night buses/trains as these give you an experience (good or bad depending on who your travel companions are), utilise the time you'd spend sleeping, provide you with some scenic highlights at the beginning and end of the trip, as well as saving you the cost of a night's lodging.

Also, those budget airlines are pretty good at getting more money out of you.
How do they do that?

If it's about catering costs, train buffet cars charge similar prices.

I flew with Ryanair last night - it cost 15.99Euros all in from Spain to the UK with a ticket I bought two weeks ago and I bought water and a Subway sub to consume on board at the airport.
I don't think 15.99Euros would even get you a meal on the ferry between England and France.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: none
thnks

thnks all
I think for me its best to fly. That 14hrs.
bus ride is a bit much.
dbase
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:07 pm

A little late here but I rode a train (well 2 trains if u count the change of train at the border) from Sete to Barcelona last year and it didnt feel that long nor that bad to me. One of the main thing for me was that I stopped at Figeurres to see the Dali museum

drew
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddrewboy
A little late here but I rode a train (well 2 trains if u count the change of train at the border) from Sete to Barcelona last year and it didnt feel that long nor that bad to me.
I'm sure it didn't.

Sete to Barcelona is less than half the distance between Nice and Barcelona (between 5-6 hours). As you stopped in Figueres, the journey from there to Sete can't have taken more than 4 hours (some train schedules will take you there in 3).

3-4 hours sounds like a potentially pleasant bus/train journey to me too. (2 hours to Figueres and then 3 hours to Sete... very doable!)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:05 pm

Any budget flights Nice to Spain

What are the budget airlines that fly from Nice to Barcelona or Madrid?

Are there any direct flights, or Easyjet to Paris, then on to Barcelona or Madrid?

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Mortimer
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:53 am

www.whichbudget.com
www.skyscanner.net

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.