Wiki Posts
Search

Novotel BKK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus
Novotel BKK

Anyone stayed there recently? Would you recommend it? How's it gym facilities there? Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
I'm guessing you mean the Novotel at the airport? Location as a transit hotel is great (just across the airport carpark) but you pay a premium for it. Have only slept there (it's new and clean) so haven't tried the gym.

If you're staying for a while other Accor properties have a better location / price... I really like the Sofitel Silom - nice rooms, good location and very friendly staff. Also like the Novotel on Siam Square just across the road from Siam Paragon
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I have stayed there in June 2007 courtesy to LH (flying business class and having 10+ hours connection time). The hotel is brilliant and the facilities too. Compared to othe Novotels, mainly in Europe, this is Novotel of VERY different class. Will stay there again in June 2008 during return trip from Europe on LH/TG business classs and am looking forward to staying there.
They have their own mini-bus between the airport and hotel, but I belive there should be also underground tunnel of about 300 metres available now. I may decide to walk this time...
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: ROP, Royal Skies, BAEC (Blue)
The tunnel will not open until the rail link starts, could be over a year (maybe two) until that happens.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:22 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by rolcouz
The tunnel will not open until the rail link starts, could be over a year (maybe two) until that happens.
Good to see that the railway has works actively happening. Lots of track in position and the overhead electric wires are appearing. The stations seem to be taking shape and there are only a few sections now with absolutely nothing at all. I just can't wait for this to open so I can say "bye" to the airport taxi lottery ie VMC (voluntary meter conditions).
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Staid there in January.
Good modern hotel, no plane noise, good service. Swimming pool is OK/good in the middle of the hotel. Bus very frequent, with backup buses waiting. Gym is not bad with view on the swiming pool.
Two drawbacks mentioned in numerous previous posts:
_ Checking-in can be a nightmare, especially early morning. I waited in line over 30 min for the two receptionists to checkout numerous departing pax and a few arriving pax (no fun after an 11 hours flight). Everyone seems to complain, but they do nothing about it.
- very expensive compared to a nice hotel downtown (I got a cheaper price from shangri-la on the river, but not worth to go to a downtown hotel for less than 10 hour connection IMHO).
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Will be staying at the Novotel on an overnight connection soon. Where do you catch the bus to the hotel?
Thanks. WLGNZ
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Will be staying at the Novotel on an overnight connection soon. Where do you catch the bus to the hotel?
Door 4 past immigration and customs.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:32 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by gleff
Door 4 past immigration and customs.
After taking the bus, you'll be saying to yourself, "I should have walked - it'd only have taken half the time".
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by og
After taking the bus, you'll be saying to yourself, "I should have walked - it'd only have taken half the time".
Is it possible to walk it?
Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by og
I would not agree - unless you are used to heat and humidity or want to strech your legs after long haul flight.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Checking-in can be a nightmare, especially early morning. I waited in line over 30 min for the two receptionists to checkout numerous departing pax and a few arriving pax (no fun after an 11 hours flight). Everyone seems to complain, but they do nothing about it.
I was checking-in in the afternoon and leaving for midnight flight and both in and out were unbelievably fast and efficient. I cannot say that about immigration at the airport though, particularly on arrival.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
If you don't mind the humidity and have good wheels on your suitcase then you can definitely walk it. You'll see the hotel as soon as you walk out of the terminal.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:33 am

Programs: ROP, Royal Skies, BAEC (Blue)
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Is it possible to walk it?
Thanks.
It is certainly possible to walk. Go down to Ground Level (Level 1) and walk across the traffic lanes to the car park. Walk through the car park and out through the exit lanes/toll booths. Cross the dual carriageway. Try not to get run over. Go across the grass to the rear entrance of the hotel. There are a few steps up to the doors. It's rather hot and uncomfortable, especially if you have not got used to the climate, not really recommended with heavy luggage.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:51 am

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Originally Posted by brunos
Staid there in January.
Good modern hotel, no plane noise, good service. Swimming pool is OK/good in the middle of the hotel. Bus very frequent, with backup buses waiting. Gym is not bad with view on the swiming pool.
Two drawbacks mentioned in numerous previous posts:
_ Checking-in can be a nightmare, especially early morning. I waited in line over 30 min for the two receptionists to checkout numerous departing pax and a few arriving pax (no fun after an 11 hours flight). Everyone seems to complain, but they do nothing about it.
- very expensive compared to a nice hotel downtown (I got a cheaper price from shangri-la on the river, but not worth to go to a downtown hotel for less than 10 hour connection IMHO).
If you add the 35 minutes wait for check-in and the shuttle time you probably would have been in your room at the Shangri-La depending on the time of day.
I used the 'executive rooms' and then you can use the check-in check-out desks in the executive lounge located behind the elevators. Well worth the price difference (online) of a few hundred baht as they also through in th e buffet breakfast and the evening cocktails/snacks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.