Wiki Posts
Search

Best Method of Transportation - Manhattan to ISP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Best Method of Transportation - Manhattan to ISP

The family of 4 (includes two kids 10 and 8) are taking our first trip to NYC. We're going to DC first and then heading up to NYC. We're planning on staying in the Times Square area and then flying out of ISP. I found another thread about ISP to Manhattan, but I'm looking for the trip back to the airport.

Is a one way rental car the way to go? I'll be travleing back on a Thursday in Late June for a flight that would leave around 1:30 pm. How much time should I allow?

Any other tips?

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

With two adults, two children, and the accompanying luggage, do you really have any choice [b]except[/] a one-way car rental? Be prepared to spend about $100 for the car, with gas, tolls, and tax. I would allow about two hours for the trip, although if traffic is light, it might take less.

If the four of you were to take public transportation (taxi to Penn Station, LIRR to Ronkonkoma, and taxi from there to ISP), I think it would cost you about $40, and take about two hours from hotel to airport. (The 10:15 AM train from Penn Station is scheduled to arrive Ronkonkoma at 11:37 AM.)
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA million miler
i use a limo service (its a town car not a stretch)

i pay $165 all-in (tip etc)

i found, in a quick search, this one- who i have never used:

MacArthur/Islip AIRPORT TRANSFERS >>From or To<< MANHATTAN NY
-ISLIP airport to Manhattan it is about 1 1/2 hour far if no traffic.
Airport Arrival FREE Inside Meet & Greet with your sign NAME -meets our traditional USA -Royal Way Welcome!
Luxury Lincoln Town Car sedan
MacArthur Islip Airport Arrival $149 or Departure/$149 -ALL INCLUSIVE (1-3 pass for airport)

you might also call tel aviv or carmel (777-7777 and 666-6666) to get their quotes

if you want to arrive at noon i'd leave no later than 10:30am- and the town car eliminates the need to drive all the way to the hertz lot (about 500 feet)

there is hardly any food service on anything out of ISP and the terminal selection is not great, so you might want to stock up early that morning in NYC with sandwiches for the flight
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

With two adults, two children, and the accompanying luggage, do you really have any choice [b]except[/] a one-way car rental? Be prepared to spend about $100 for the car, with gas, tolls, and tax. I would allow about two hours for the trip, although if traffic is light, it might take less.

If the four of you were to take public transportation (taxi to Penn Station, LIRR to Ronkonkoma, and taxi from there to ISP), I think it would cost you about $40, and take about two hours from hotel to airport. (The 10:15 AM train from Penn Station is scheduled to arrive Ronkonkoma at 11:37 AM.)
how do you figure 40$,,,,, That would just about cover the lirr,,, what about subway ,,, taxi from Ronk.... etc..... and one taxi probably would not hold 4 plus luggage also figure on hauling the luggage from taxi to train etc..

rental or limo probably the only way to go.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by nytango

how do you figure 40$,,,,, That would just about cover the lirr,,, what about subway ,,, taxi from Ronk.... etc..... and one taxi probably would not hold 4 plus luggage also figure on hauling the luggage from taxi to train etc..

rental or limo probably the only way to go.
The LIRR for two adults and two children under 12 will cost $19.75 when traveling off-peak and using the "Family Fare" plan, which allows up to four children under 12 to ride for 75 cents when accompanied by a fare-paying adult.

(The LIRR timetable does not say "75 cents per child," but if that's what they mean, then the total fare would be $20.50.) Just checked the LIRR website, and the Family Fare is 75 cents per child, so the OP's total rail fare would be $20.50.

I assumed that two adults and two children and their luggage would fit into one cab, and that the two cab rides would total around $20. If that is not the case, then the estimate would, of course, be higher.

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 24, 2008 at 8:36 am
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA million miler
you must allow an hour from your hotel to the hertz office that morning to pick up your car and drive back to the hotel to pick up the family

(i just paid $55 for overnight parking at the Essex House- so its no savings picking up the car the night before)

having the limo show up on time saves you that hassle

and if you have never driven in manhattan- there are odd rules (like no turns onto some avenues) - and "boxes" -crosshatched intersections- that you do not want to be stuck in when the light changes- get a ticket and your driving schedule is shot

you may hear it referred to as "limo" or "town car" or "black car" but its usually a lincoln town car

for a family of 4 with luggage you may want to splurge on a stretch to ensure you have enough room
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

The LIRR for two adults and two children under 12 will cost $19.75 when traveling off-peak and using the "Family Fare" plan, which allows up to four children under 12 to ride for 75 cents when accompanied by a fare-paying adult.

(The LIRR timetable does not say "75 cents per child," but if that's what they mean, then the total fare would be $20.50.) Just checked the LIRR website, and the Family Fare is 75 cents per child, so the OP's total rail fare would be $20.50.

I assumed that two adults and two children and their luggage would fit into one cab, and that the two cab rides would total around $20. If that is not the case, then the estimate would, of course, be higher.

Didnt know that they had a family fare,,, thanks... good to know..
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Thanks for all the responses

Looks like I'll go with the Limo (car service). Seems like the easiest and most hassle free way to go with the family. If I was on my own, I'd try the train.

Thanks and wish me luck!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:53 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by edgewood
(like no turns onto some avenues)
Novice...these are ignored, de rigeur, by anyone who consistently drives in the city.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:58 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
And to actually be useful

Recently, I've been trying to use this car service as much as possible: http://www.empirecls.com/

They have new S550s, which are much nicer than the crappy, dilapidated town cars the other guys use. $170 for midtown to ISP, definitely worth the extra $10 just for the space.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Novice...these are ignored, de rigeur, by anyone who consistently drives in the city.
ignored by novices, and routinely given expensive tickets... I drive in the city all the time and would never take this chance.

I dont think that for a family of four with luggage a town car or s550 will do try the opposite way,,,, look for a long island based limo service.

i have used for my family.. Chichester and Mayfair northport, limo While not shown on site they used to have a Cadillac escalade,, but they show a Luxury van... and 130 for isp to newark so I think that would be the about the same or less for nyc to isp..
http://www.chichesterlimo.com/#our

Last edited by nytango; Feb 27, 2008 at 8:46 am Reason: added chichester

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.