Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sat in the Pilot seat!

Sat in the Pilot seat!

Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, Marriot Bonvoy
Sat in the Pilot seat!

I'm going to leave specifics out of this so I don't unintentionally get some pilots fired. I was on a flight this weekend which was delayed for over an hr. The pilot said there was a ground stop at the destination and to sit tight for the next announcement. They then said that we could come into the cabin to say hi if we wanted. So I waited for the line of 20 or so people to clear, then made my way up there with my camera and asked if I could take pictures. They said no problem, as a matter of fact, take a seat The pilot went out to grab a cup of coffee and the co-pilot was there answering all our questions. They were so nice and cool.

For a guy that's never been in the flight cabin, it was a pretty awesome experience. Does this happen frequently?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 2:14 am

When I was younger (not that long ago, almost 21 now), we always visit the cockpit. One time on a HKG-SFO my brother and I both got to sit on the pilot's seat as well. This usually happens in the beginning of the boarding process. We usually ask a FA who would then ask the cockpit crew.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 2:36 am

Well, I got a lucky upgrade a few years back on the JFK-LHR route, and the FA asked me whether I would be interested in having a look at the cockpit, and indeed, I got a pilot's-eye view (777).

I was a bit surprised how many bells and whistles there are, and also that you kind of have to be careful to climb over the dials and levers to get out of the seat.

I was impressed by the interior, although admittedly isn't most of the flying done on autopilot?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Last year my son (4 at that time) was invited into the cockpit before departure when we sat in the upper deck. I was quite surprised when I saw him wearing the pilots cap and the pilots joking with him.
Nice gesture in this time of sometimes excessive security thinking.

F.R.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:22 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
A year or 2 back, a FTer, knowing I was on a flight his firend was piloting, called and I sat in the jumpseat of the 747 during the flight. That was alright.

(Inter Asia/Not United flight)
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:26 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Last summer got to sit with my brother in the jumpseat of a UA 747 (I got pilot). Got a nice photo too Actually sat and talked with the pilot for a good 15min before the co-pilot interrupted us saying we have to take off Also got some business cards and the LA and HA maps on the route we were flying!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
it does happen from time to time.

it's never not great.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Originally Posted by karenkay
haha nice picture

I remember when I was younger always asking to see the cockpit. It never ceased to amaze me seeing the three officers and all the buttons/dials. These days well.... too many redeyes...
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1P-MM
Biggest thrill for me was on an AC DC-9 about 18 years ago. I was the winner of an Aeroplan contest as they picked my seat number (this was mid-flight). I was told to go to the cockpit to claim my prize. While there, I mentioned to the pilot that I had never been in the cockpit before. He told me that when they were about 20 minutes from landing, to come up and I could sit in the jumpseat. So I had a first-person view all the way to touching down on the runway. By far my greatest flying experience!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:41 am
Suspended

I flew in the jumpseat on an AC flight into YOW a few years back. I was chatting with the FA and mentioned that this flight, which was only 3 or 4 months into the year, was requalifying me for Gold status again. She commented I flew more than her.

2 minutes later she asked if I wanted to visit the cockpit as a thank you. I moved and stayed there right through to taxing to the gate. Way cool
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's nothing a pilot could get fired for as long as the engines are shut down, it's just great customer service!^ If anything report this pilot to UA for going above and beyond what he has to, something which is more and more rare among pilots, IME.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Gold
Back when UA was flying a JFK-SEA A320 nonstop, we were in a ground stop for ~4 hours at JFK due to thunderstorms in the area. Being an aviation geek and sim junkie, I ended up on the flight deck talking with the F/O for a good hour as the Captain had left the plane to talk to operations. After about 10 minutes, he said "do you want to sit down?" and there I was in the left seat.

I recall asking about particular approaches he found difficult, what hydraulic systems powered what when they did a single engine taxi, flying techniques, and all sorts of other stuff that you could ask about without being considered suspicious before 9/11. Aside from my 2 flights with Capt. Molly Flanagan, it's probably my best memory from a UA flight. It didn't hurt that as a lowly 2P at the time, I was in 6A, had an empty middle, and the gentleman in 6C was a 1K or similar, because the first class F/A brought him a sundae...and then asked if I wanted one too.

Not bad, when you think about it: a 4 hour delay is one of the best flights I've ever had on UA, and it was all about customer service.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I remember years ago sitting in the cockpit flying in a BA 747 over Greenland and Canada. Too bad those days are gone...
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Flying JFK-SFO last month, we had an hour ground stop at JFK and the pilot invited anybody who wanted to come into the cockpit to chat. Amazingly, nobody went up there so I walked up and had a good 30 minute chat with the crew. Great guys and a great introduction to the cockpit!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by that_guy
Well, I got a lucky upgrade a few years back on the JFK-LHR route, and the FA asked me whether I would be interested in having a look at the cockpit, and indeed, I got a pilot's-eye view (777).

I was a bit surprised how many bells and whistles there are, and also that you kind of have to be careful to climb over the dials and levers to get out of the seat.

I was impressed by the interior, although admittedly isn't most of the flying done on autopilot?
The 777 cockpit is a little tight with 4 of us up there, but it's pretty easy to get in and out of the seats once you know how.

Most of the flying during cruise is done on autopilot, but that doesn't make it easier, it just eliminates the tedium. It's actually easier to hand fly the airplane for an approach and landing than to set up the autopilot to do it. And even when we do autoland, the autopilot does not manage the airspeed or control the flaps or landing gear.

My question is how many people know immediately which cockpit is shown in the picture?

And to confirm, it's perfectly fine to come into the cockpit, sit in the seat and take pictures, as long as the engines are shut down. It actually happens all the time. If the people don't have a camera with them, I'll take a picture and email it to them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.