Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How long does a new passport REALLY take?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long does a new passport REALLY take?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:53 am
Original Poster

How long does a new passport REALLY take in America?

So being the interminable procrastinators that we are, my wife and I applied for our first passports last week (standard delivery, no currently planned trip yet).

The website says 4-6 weeks, which is fine with us if realistic. (We want to go to Europe in April or May for our first overseas trip!)

What is realistic? How long is a standard application taking these days? We're afraid to book anything obviously (and probably won't until we get some sort of firm ETA). But, the planning needs to start ASAP.

THANKS!
- Randy

Last edited by wantonsoup; Mar 1, 2008 at 10:46 am
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 working days is realistic. That's how long mine took.
The above timescale applies to a Greek passport applied for and issued in Greece.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
Mine took 16 days. Submitted the app. on 1 Feb, passports were in my mailbox on 16 Feb.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by wantonsoup
So being the interminable procrastinators that we are, my wife and I applied for our first passports last week (standard delivery, no currently planned trip yet).

The website says 4-6 weeks, which is fine with us if realistic. (We want to go to Europe in April or May for our first overseas trip!)

What is realistic? How long is a standard application taking these days? We're afraid to book anything obviously (and probably won't until we get some sort of firm ETA). But, the planning needs to start ASAP.

THANKS!
- Randy
It depends on your nationality/citizenship, and the place where you will apply. So we can only help you if you provide us with these details. In the Netherlands the standard processing time for a Dutch passport is 5 working days.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
My wife and I both did ours in the last 8 weeks. Hers took 11 working days, mine 17.

You're fine.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA
Mine says shipped today, and states it should be here by March 5... I applied on the 13th of Feb....

So about 3 weeks, which is what I've been hearing from others too.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Back in November I received my passport exactly 2 weeks after mailing in my application.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
It depends on your nationality/citizenship, and the place where you will apply. So we can only help you if you provide us with these details.
Sorry, I didn't realize just how international this forum is! I'm in USA (Denver, CO)
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:09 pm

Renewals for kids took under two weeks around new years. (Not expidited, and had the affidavits that you need for kids which I would have presumed was a complicating factor.)

As we get closer to summer travel time, expect longer though.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
In mid January I applied for passports for my 2 kids. Had them in my hands in 3 weeks.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:50 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I mailed mine in about 11 days ago, and on the Department of State website they're still listed as being processed.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Well today is the 8th business day since we submitted at the USPS, and online says they are mailed! We are pleased in this fantastic turnaround time and are going to start frantically planning our first European adventure!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: HH Gold, NW Silver
Wow how a few months have changed. I applied during the passport fiasco last year. I was flying to Canada and learned about the new passport requirement about air travel to Canada. I applied on March 19. My trip wasn't until July 20. I thought that should be plenty of time, 4 months. It came down to the wire as I didn't get my passport until July 20! It was a good thing I had a 10 PM flight that night.

Because they were so behind schedule, they waived the passport requirement for those that were still waiting for their passports at the time (some destinations, Canada included). A print out of the proof of application would do, which I was planning on doing anyway.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: SPG fan
Just mailed mine today for renewal, we'll see how long it takes!
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:10 pm
formerly Baxter&Bessies'Mama

My pp was due to expire in April. Due to the fiasco and a break in my travel plans, I thought I would get it in early. Mailed my renewal app on 12/26 (not exp) and it was issued on 1/2!!! I'm sure it's their slowest week of the year. I want my 3 months back! LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.